• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

shadyjay

Website
linktr.ee
Anyone having this issue with the Sugarbush app.....

Mine refuses to update the "Weather and Snow Conditions" narrative. The only way I can get it to update to the current narrative is to remove the app and reinstall it.

pinnoke

I almost always need to shock it out of its coma by clicking on Events and then the back arrow, top left. The conditions are then refreshed (for me).
And, quite the diverse conditions this season has seen!

Hawk

Today was really good. There were lines but they died by about 1:00. Not sure where everybody went. Skied right on to Castlerock at 12:30 and then Heavens gate at right after. I was so sick of freezing my ass off and this weekend was what I needed. Temps ranged from in the middle 30's up top to near 40 at the bottom I bet. Spills and ripchord on the right stayed dry packed power. Domino, Moonshine Lixi's and lower birdland got a litte more damp but still supper fun. Castlerock must have been a little sun baked as it was more crispy but soft in most places. Skied castlerock, Cotilion parts of liftline and Rumble. Lots of rock on Rumble. Pretty windy but nothing shut down. Tomorrow back into the freezer. Not sure what the refreeze will bring but we will see. I see them gooming now.

djd66

Today was really good. There were lines but they died by about 1:00. Not sure where everybody went. Skied right on to Castlerock at 12:30 and then Heavens gate at right after. I was so sick of freezing my ass off and this weekend was what I needed. Temps ranged from in the middle 30's up top to near 40 at the bottom I bet. Spills and ripchord on the right stayed dry packed power. Domino, Moonshine Lixi's and lower birdland got a litte more damp but still supper fun. Castlerock must have been a little sun baked as it was more crispy but soft in most places. Skied castlerock, Cotilion parts of liftline and Rumble. Lots of rock on Rumble. Pretty windy but nothing shut down. Tomorrow back into the freezer. Not sure what the refreeze will bring but we will see. I see them gooming now.
Totally agree Hawk,… I have been freezing my ass off ALL SEASON,… today was exactly what I needed. Everything was totally carvable. No hand warmers, no heated socks and only 1 layer up top. It was great to get on edge and have full confidence. Tomorrow should be “interesting “ after things set up.

machski

I agree that taking slidebrook from South is a serious Schelp. After 3 chairs, it’s about 35-40 minutes before I’m skiing,… by that time on a cold day - I’m chilled. It would have been great if there were Gondola cars on the line,… yeah I know - will never happen. What I do like about Slidebrook is coming back to South. It’s a quick ride and I can get to 4 pods from there.

Personally, I’m not a big bus person - especially with Covid. If I’m going to North, I’ll just drive as I think it’s much quicker than the bus.
Les would have loved a Gondola on the current SB line. That didn't happen because the towers have had to be higher for ground clearance. It was built as it is to minimize it's visibility from the valley floor. Yes, that was also a huge sticking point.

Final historical note. LBO's initial interconnect plans included upgrading Castlerock to a HSQ, installing snowmaking on that pod and stringing a much shorter summit to summit connector chair. Luckily, he was talked down from that.

cdskier

Agreed. I was one of the people that disappeared by 1 though...my legs were shot by that point after skiing lots of soft bumps today combined with skiing a few hours after work yesterday. I didn't venture over to CR, but hit many of the others that you mentioned. Longest line I waited on was around 5 minutes or so. I was expecting much worse with Super Bravo being down to start the day.

Final historical note. LBO's initial interconnect plans included upgrading Castlerock to a HSQ, installing snowmaking on that pod and stringing a much shorter summit to summit connector chair. Luckily, he was talked down from that.
He was practically run out of town for that...there were bumper stickers saying "More rock, Less Otten" at the time of that proposal.

NYSnowflake

Does anyone know anything about Walt’s After Dark? Specifically, which trails you can ski down after you leave? I’d like to take my sister up there when she visits but I would need to take her down a green route, which would be Northstar.

Hawk

I am sure you can ski Cruiser, Whichway or Northstar. If she can't ski those then maybe not a good idea to be out at night?

So last night at around 9:30 I was looking out the window and there was about 20 people sking down Springfling in a big group with head lights. Pretty cool looking. Was that the Allyns Valentines Dinner group? If so I did realize that event was that big for that much money. At any rate it looked fun.

SkiTheEast

Looks like app was just updated and I must say on the face it looks pretty impressive. Map now overlays which trails are groomed and the list of trails also includes icons to indicate grooming and snowmaking. Haven't fully gone thru everything yet but definitely a step in the right direction, sounds like someone is listening...

Full description from the app store:
* Updated trail map to allow viewing for unauthenticated guests
* Added toggle overlay option for "open" and "groomed" trails on the trail map
* Added grooming status icon to trails on lift/trail detail screen
* Added text to help show that each Home screen element is tappable for details
* Updated snowfall numbers on Home to reflect recent snowfall rather than upcoming snowfall
* Updated weather detail page to shorten data caching time and show data that is more relevant to guests

shadyjay

Website
linktr.ee
MUCH BETTER as far as the map goes.... nice to be able to see what's been groomed. Conditions page is still not updating for me. As of this afternoon (2/15), I'm stuck on Monday's report.

WinS

I had early morning commitments on the other side of the mountain. When I left Shelburne at 9:30 am it was raining so I was thinking today would not be day 80. Crossing over the APP GAP the skies were clearing. No rain on the radar until later in the afternoon, so I headed to the mountain. What a great decision. It was spring skiing and the emptiest parking lot I have seen all season. Upper lifts were on windhold and Sugarbush wisely closed all natural trails to preserve them. You can already see losses on a number of trails after last evening rains and warm winds. The fun run of the day was Stein’s - soft snow on all the whales and sides. Too bad most missed it because tomorrow will be awful. The groomers are going to be hard at work early tomorrow morning. If we can get 2-3” after the rain and fall in temps it will make a huge difference. Otherwise, it will be bullet proof until a second groom tomorrow night,

cdskier

It has been quite depressing today seeing less and less snow around my condo every time I look out the window.

This could be one of those weekends where if I had to drive 5 hours to get up here, I'd seriously think twice about making the drive. Since I'm already up here though, I'll get out there for a few groomer laps first thing in the morning each day this weekend and then probably call it a day. I feel bad for the people that only come up on holiday weekends/weeks. This is certainly not going to be a good weekend/week to ski much other than whatever is groomed.

Kingslug20

Guess i shoukd have gone...at least for steins...but it was raining and the wind was howling at my house...