• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

HowieT2

The issue with the labor shortage is partly not paying enough and more likely not having access to foreign workers. In years past there were many, many more people working ski areas on temporary visas. Not being political, but our immigration policies and visa policies over the past several years have hurt many service industries in finding enough people to work. Everyone in Vermont has been struggling to find workers at any price. Many of the people we work with have increased wages and increased wages, are great places to work and they just can't find bodies. Just my opinion.
I think that’s correct but not really with respect to the lift mechanics in particular. Those are full time positions with benefits. they are trained and skilled mechanics. There just haven’t been enough workers getting training and going into it.

HowieT2

We said the same thing last year and got nuthin compared to the western areas.
We did get the mt Ellen base lodge rehab, fwiw, which wasn’t publicized at all. So maybe there will be some similarly small capital investments.
with the sugarbush inn no longer being used for guests, you’d think they would want to add some lodging at the lp base area

IceEidolon

The issue with the labor shortage is partly not paying enough and more likely not having access to foreign workers. In years past there were many, many more people working ski areas on temporary visas. Not being political, but our immigration policies and visa policies over the past several years have hurt many service industries in finding enough people to work. Everyone in Vermont has been struggling to find workers at any price. Many of the people we work with have increased wages and increased wages, are great places to work and they just can't find bodies. Just my opinion.
Could be an issue with willingness to hire and train, could also be that even though wages are higher than the past that comparable positions in other industries are even higher, or it might be that housing isn't easily available so only talent that's already local can apply. Even more than a full time snowmaker/snowmaking tech, lift mechanics are skilled professionals and anyone with the skills is going to expect pay commensurate with that. If it takes an unreasonable amount to buy a decent single family home in a decent school district, etc, etc, then "good wages" aren't gonna cut it. I seriously doubt lift mechanics were coming in on visas unless there's a 'never summer' rotation of professionals chasing the busy season from the Southern Hemisphere.

Johnny B

For what it's worth regarding the big capital announcement...

1. We certainly have capital projects planned and we will be pushing our own more local release a little further down the road. Stay tuned!
2. I've seen a fair amount of feedback like "no love for the east coast!" with regards to that Alterra capital announcement. To that I would just reiterate that most of these major projects are planned years in advance. We've only been part of the family for 2 years. Then you also have to think about COVID, which essentially pushed Alterra's capital plans back a year, so there was some catching up to do with pre-planned projects.

Hope everyone had a chance to ski the gun-pow on Stein's yesterday or this morning (dryer yesterday but still great today). Pretty awesome stuff.

thetrailboss

Staff member
More like.....

img_5124.jpg

img_5131.jpg

ducky

cdskier

Yep, thats exactly what we need. After spending a week out there ( rode the lift a bunch) bubble 6 pack with heated seats is awesome!
No thanks...and thankfully I'm pretty sure SB doesn't have the room as these require massive amounts of space around the terminals as you need to take the chairs off the line and store them each night.

slatham

Yep, thats exactly what we need. After spending a week out there ( rode the lift a bunch) bubble 6 pack with heated seats is awesome!

Is this the Sugarbush thread? Seems like it was highjacked by Okemo.......

Just kidding. Those are sweet lifts especially when cold and windy. But I highly doubt we see them at the 'Bush.

djd66

No thanks...and thankfully I'm pretty sure SB doesn't have the room as these require massive amounts of space around the terminals as you need to take the chairs off the line and store them each night.
You are right on the storage as they need to be charged at nigh. I was half joking on the heat seats ( although if you have ever ridden on one of these, they are pretty “cool”). I have zero issues with bubble chairs and I would be the first one to lower the bubble on a minus 10 day. They also have one of these at Killington (replaced the Snowdon quad, it’s really nice on a cold windy day.

cdskier

You are right on the storage as they need to be charged at nigh. I was half joking on the heat seats ( although if you have ever ridden on one of these, they are pretty “cool”). I have zero issues with bubble chairs and I would be the first one to lower the bubble on a minus 10 day. They also have one of these at Killington (replaced the Snowdon quad, it’s really nice on a cold windy day.
I hate them...I think they're disgusting. The ones at K were filthy when I was there last time. Just another thing to break down as well and more added maintenance costs.

Slidebrook87

I hate them...I think they're disgusting. The ones at K were filthy when I was there last time. Just another thing to break down as well and more added maintenance costs.
They've been everywhere in Europe ever since the '80s. Americans have an obsession with always putting the bubble down but ideally you only put it down in poor weather. I think they're a great option, and don't necessarily need to be a fancy, heated Doppelmayr D-Line one either.

urungus

Few questions about Castlerock.

1) Is there any public access to the interior of the warming hut at the top, only doors I saw were marked “staff only”

2) Why is Liftline blacked on out signpost ?

1AA7457D-8DC0-4F22-B762-B8482E265EDC.jpeg

3) I was surprised to see “Rumble” entrance sign on skiers left of Castlerock Run, is the blue line in satellite photo considered part of Rumble (or does it have some other nickname) ? It looks like the blue route bypasses the difficult “rock garden” section of the red line, which I thought was the “official” entrance. And the yellow line is the alternate easier entrance.
662E2BB2-FAE2-4168-B946-E4404546F6D9.jpeg

EE167F3F-81E0-4965-9537-6CD0BF542514.jpeg

KustyTheKlown

i would interpret that sign as more of a 'this way to rumble', tho i don't know if that little connector trail (blue) has any actual name. i consider rumble to begin at the entrance from liftline (either yellow or red)

no idea why sign is blacked out

pretty sure that's a patrol hut, not for public. may be open to public in summer a trail hut?

cdskier

i would interpret that sign as more of a 'this way to rumble', tho i don't know if that little connector trail (blue) has any actual name. i consider rumble to begin at the entrance from liftline (either yellow or red)

no idea why sign is blacked out

pretty sure that's a patrol hut, not for public. may be open to public in summer a trail hut?

Vandalism would be my guess for the sign being blacked out...I can't think of any legitimate reason for it.

That hut is labeled on the trail map as an actual "warming hut", so I would assume that means it should be open to the public (and I swear I've been in there before several years ago). It is possible that due to the small size it was temporarily closed to the public due to COVID.

Teleskier

I know most of the deals all happen pre-season. But if someone wanted to try Sugarbush for a day to compare and contrast, are there any deals to be had beyond the online Sugarbush Store rate of $129?

Kingslug20

If you know an ikon pass holder you can grt a discount through them..
But these days 129 is cheap
Tomorrow will be good...weekend not so much

KustyTheKlown

I know most of the deals all happen pre-season. But if someone wanted to try Sugarbush for a day to compare and contrast, are there any deals to be had beyond the online Sugarbush Store rate of $129?

ikon pass holders get 8 family and friend tickets at 25% off the window rate. not sure if that comes out lower than the online pre-sale price

i just got back from 11 consecutive ski days and 13 days away from home, and i go to Chicago for work tomorrow and get home Friday night. i really want to ski this weekend but i think my girlfriend would like actually murder me. we have nice dinner plans instead.