• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

Kingslug20

Ill be up there...figure stowe will be an all time shitshow in every aspect. The one way in and out..wind holds dump 100000000 people on the triple...
I was at sb monday...saw the damage..going to do some recon tomorrow.

djd66

Black Diamond, Upper FIS, Exterminator, and Bravo are all listed as open so theres some hope for the natural stuff I'd say. Really just depends on the totals...hopefully the 18" comes into play.
Last weekend upper FIS and Exterminator looked like complete shit,... (i did not ski them,... just looked at all the exposed rocks) I hate to see what it looks like after all the rain. 18" will definitely help, I would just ski knowing there is not much base underneath.

TSQURD

It will be fine. You don't know what we are capable of. :) Silly skiing is a thing here at sugarbush.
For frame of reference, we usually ski 60+ days at SB each season, I would consider myself a proud member of the silly skier club & my skis have the scars to prove it. Also have season passes at MRG.

As an example of the type of skiing we enjoy, the attached photo was taken MRG toward the end of last season on a day that was an absolute hoot. Conditions this week not so much of a hoot. YMMV.

Attachments

• tempImageS5DVT7.png
    tempImageS5DVT7.png
    19.3 MB · Views: 39

mikec142

Pulled an audible. Was planning to drive up tomorrow to get ahead of the storm. Wanted to stay in the MRV preferably close to the mountain. As of noon today there was a grand total of 1 room available within 20 minutes of SB. I was on the phone with a good friend who lives in Telluride. He said I bet that room costs close to what it would cost to fly to Telluride. He was right so I'm heading out there tomorrow. It's so incredibly unlike me to do something like this.

pinnoke

Pulled an audible. Was planning to drive up tomorrow to get ahead of the storm. Wanted to stay in the MRV preferably close to the mountain. As of noon today there was a grand total of 1 room available within 20 minutes of SB. I was on the phone with a good friend who lives in Telluride. He said I bet that room costs close to what it would cost to fly to Telluride. He was right so I'm heading out there tomorrow. It's so incredibly unlike me to do something like this.
WITH AGE COMES WISDOM!

KustyTheKlown

lol good for you. i did the same thing yesterday but took the 2nd to last room in waitsfield for $300 per night. if i could swing it with my girl and work i would have done what you did. have fun.

was the last room in waitsfield the bennington room at the 1824 inn? that was the only other thing left last night when i pulled my trigger.

crippity

Strategy for Saturday to mitigate crowds/your preference: opening bell start obviously: start at north and stay there till afternoon then head south? Start south and head to north at 11? Stay at north all day?

Blurski

What about wInd holds on Lifts from this storm at the mountains? I see possible 30mph winds and 50mph gusts on Sat and 25mph+ gusts on Sunday. No idea on direction and timing of the winds with the mountains
Wind starts WSW 6am shifts to NW by 8am & WNW late afternoon with gusts increasing from 25 - 45 by the end of the day.

mikec142

lol good for you. i did the same thing yesterday but took the 2nd to last room in waitsfield for $300 per night. if i could swing it with my girl and work i would have done what you did. have fun.

was the last room in waitsfield the bennington room at the 1824 inn? that was the only other thing left last night when i pulled my trigger.
It was a room at the Mad River Inn. I think it was called the Willoughby Room.

Los

Wind starts WSW 6am shifts to NW by 8am & WNW late afternoon with gusts increasing from 25 - 45 by the end of the day.
Argh…and the projected snow accumulation has plummeted.

Kingslug20

Like they know.
At this point ..reading projections is a waste.
Its going to snow..a lot...that is all

slatham

Don't think 18-20" is going to verify. Everything would need to go right. Current NWS is a strip of 12-18" on the spine, and from what I am reading the high end is a stretch. That said 12" would be fun to play in. The service I (and several ski areas follow) is not at 18". Just an FYI......