• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

Kingslug20

Super cold temps..big winds..all in the trees everywhere..
Spring may appear...soon

Hawk

Next weekend is pond skimming and the concert with Chadwick Stokes from Dispatch, G. Love, and DJ Logic. Anybody getting VIP tickets?

KustyTheKlown

lol dispatch g.love and dj logic. 2001 called and wants its third tier jambands back

when i was at sugarbush on the pow day my buddy and i took a lift with a dude who is so excited for this because 'g.love pulls so much pussy.' dude g love is like in his 50s now and is playing in rural Vermont. he will not be a pied piper of pussy at sugarbush

Hawk

No, but I just saw him recently and he still has some talent. What do you think, they are going to get Imagine Dragons, Ariana Grande and Lady Gaga? At this point I am totally psyched that they are having music. I mean we have just started seeing bands just recently like the Detonators. No Grift. But I will take this any day.

KustyTheKlown

im not hating, just smirking at the nostalgic line-up, and more smirking about my enthusiastic chairlift friend. i very well may be there next weekend. I'm skipping this weekend to see the disco biscuits tonight and Saturday, so I've surely got my own jamband skeletons in the closet. next weekend is just a matter of deciding where to ski but my standing reservation at the rutland days inn is on the books as of now

cdskier

Am I the only one that has no idea of who these bands they're having next weekend are?

KustyTheKlown

Am I the only one that has no idea of who these bands they're having next weekend are?

no. if you werent into jambands or frat rock circa 2001 you shouldn't have any idea! lol

Chadwick stoke's band dispatch had a hit you may have heard called the general

Hawk

G Love and Special Sauce came out of the Philly rock scene in the late 90's. I wouldn't call him frat rock though. He mixed a bluesy sound with some hip hop/Rap. Pretty fun. Chadwick Stokes grew up in the Boston area and went to Dover high school. He also went to Middlbury so he has some connections here in VT. Both are professional musicians and are several steps above the local music scene we have been digesting up here in the valley. I have seen both a few times as I am a person from that era. Just glad to have any music at the base. I have totally missed live performances.

KustyTheKlown

yea, g.love is a weird sort of white boy blues rap anchored by a jazz trio with an upright bass. i use the broad frat rock descriptor to describe a scene more than a sound. like dave matthews at the top of the pile, and then bands like dispatch, g.love, OAR, michael franti, etc below. this was a parallel but separate track to the jambands, who were clearly led by phish and followed by like string cheese incident, moe, widespread panic, umphreys, and the disco biscuits.

the best band to play on the regular at sugarbush is soul monde, imo. russ and ray are in trey anastasio's side project bands and they are serious players. it was sweet when i randomly walked into castlerock pub one day after skiing to find them throwing down.

SKI-3PO

G Love and Special Sauce came out of the Philly rock scene in the late 90's. I wouldn't call him frat rock though. He mixed a bluesy sound with some hip hop/Rap. Pretty fun.
While G. Love is from Philly, the band was formed in Boston (Cambridge) in the early/mid 90s.

cdskier

no. if you werent into jambands or frat rock circa 2001 you shouldn't have any idea! lol

Chadwick stoke's band dispatch had a hit you may have heard called the general

I was/am mainly into mainstream hard/alt/classic rock. Back in the early 2000s I would have been seeing bands like Metallica, Linkin Park, Pantera, Slayer, Sevendust, Slipknot, Clapton, Manzarek/Krieger.

KustyTheKlown

Speaking of second rate jambands... 🤦‍♂️:cool::ROFLMAO:

guilty pleasure. i immediately refered to them as a jamband skeleton in the closet. but I've been seeing them for 22 years and they've been a source of lifelong friendships and one of the most consistent threads thru my adult life. they're the best jamband at jamming for my tastes, but they are the worst at songs, singing, and being a band with any semblance of professionalism. i find their improvisational sections to be a lot more interesting than phish, and i gave up on rabid phish fandom over a decade ago, but the biscuits have kept me engaged for a lonnnng time

jimmywilson69

It's all good dude I can't help myself. I agree on the improve. Its not my thing all of the time, but sometimes I get a hankering for it and I do enjoy their unz unz jams. That singing though... OOF

I'm still deep into my Phish fandom. Its something that Ive been into for more than half my life. Same thing for Ween.

KustyTheKlown

phish was first love stuff for me. i started begging my parents to let me see phish in 98 (13 years old), and they relented in 99. first concerts i went to without dad. previously i had been with dad to springsteen and buffet (his choices) and dmb msg 1998 (my choice). i went to phish at nassau 10/7 and 10/8/99 and then saw them at radio city 5/21-22/2000. i started seeing the biscuits 12/29/2000 at a weird venue on long island called the Vanderbilt that is now a steakhouse and off track betting parlor. i loved phish so much, but found them to be wholly underwhelming after the break-up reunion in 2009. they just stopped reliably jamming, and shows turned into 20+ pretty corny 7 minute-ish songs with predictable guitar solos. occasionally they break the mold and do something interesting, but the unpredictability of when that is going to happen mostly just frustrates me. so i see phish only when its local and convenient and inexpensive now. which, living in NYC, is pretty easy so i catch phish once a year or so. have not since pre-covid tho.

love ween. been a long time since i have seen them. i combined a colorado ski trip with their post-breakup reunion shows a few years ago. they always play around here during ski season so i haven't seen them in a minute. my girlfriend also CANNOT STAND WEEN. they're gonna be around june 10 but i am going to Montreal that weekend to be in Montreal but also to go see sigur ros perform, which i am so excited for.

HowieT2

yea, g.love is a weird sort of white boy blues rap anchored by a jazz trio with an upright bass. i use the broad frat rock descriptor to describe a scene more than a sound. like dave matthews at the top of the pile, and then bands like dispatch, g.love, OAR, michael franti, etc below. this was a parallel but separate track to the jambands, who were clearly led by phish and followed by like string cheese incident, moe, widespread panic, umphreys, and the disco biscuits.

the best band to play on the regular at sugarbush is soul monde, imo. russ and ray are in trey anastasio's side project bands and they are serious players. it was sweet when i randomly walked into castlerock pub one day after skiing to find them throwing down.
these bands are right up my alley and I don't mind saying so.