• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

HowieT2

Howie...how/why did you only do 1 day at Red?! Something disappointing must've cut you short...
No and yes. I skied red on the drive up from Spokane to Nelson. It’s on the way. So the plan was to ski there one day, then 5 days at whitewater and possibly one in the way back to catch the flight home from Spokane. red is a great mountain but it doesn’t get nearly the amount of snow that whitewater and points north get. It’s only about 30 miles away but whitewater gets so many days of 2cm, 5cm 10cm, constant refreshers that red doesn’t seem to get. so you have to hit it right. The day I was there this year, it hadn’t snowed in 2 weeks. There was plenty of base but the surface was packed. It was chalky. Skiing was fun but no fresh powder. The mountain is big with a bunch of peaks. Town of Rossland is really cool too. But I had 5 straight powder days at whitewater and couldn’t motivate to hit red on the way back.
next year it’s looking like we’ll stay at red and do 3-4 days with big red cats. Probably go to Nelson and ski whitewater 3 days beforehand.
the base area at red is recently refurbished and they did a nice job.

pinnoke

Got it...much better! I didn't understand that your 20+1 was only referencing IKON days. I skied at Red 2 years ago; got home 1 day before TSHTF. Had a great time! Stayed right in Rossland at a hotel across from the brewery. We got some modest powder for our final day...beautiful! On THAT trip, also using Spokane as our gateway, we skied 1 day at Lookout Pass; 1 at Silver; and 3 or 4 each at Schweitzer and Red. This past early March, we were back at Schweitzer; then Whitefish. My usual suspects that gather from across the US aren't 'up to' Whitewater, though I've got it on my radar. I'd also like to get back. Thinking ahead to a return to Fernie (only had 1 day there a few years back, after 4 'in Banff'; 3 at Panorama; plus one at Kimberley). Missing late Spring at SB, but for good reason...a healthy beautiful granddaughter born Tuesday, in Atlanta; followed by 40th anniversary stopover somewhere coastal with the non-skiing and totally understanding Mrs...before the road(s) home. Cheer on Win and the pond skimmers for me this Saturday!

cdskier

Unusual...no updates to the snow report yet this morning. Wonder if they're having an issue with the website? Or did they really just not get a chance to update it yet? Looks like a good deal of ice on the upper part of the mountain from the webcams. Just cold rain at the base though.

Hawk

I am here and headed out after a few pesky calls. Radar shows the rain stopping in a little while and we plan to ski aroung this afternoon. They were building the pond yesterday and this morning. I am in no matter the weather. I will just dress for it and drink more. LOL

cdskier

I am here and headed out after a few pesky calls. Radar shows the rain stopping in a little while and we plan to ski aroung this afternoon. They were building the pond yesterday and this morning. I am in no matter the weather. I will just dress for it and drink more. LOL
Yea...I'm going to head out early this afternoon for a few runs once I'm done with my calls. As long as it isn't a downpour, I'll be out there this weekend at least for a bit.

Hawk

Oh and Gatehouse is done for the year lit looks like. They took down the cam but I saw there is no snow at the bottom. It is now just Bravo and HG and Valley house on the weekends.

cdskier

Oh and Gatehouse is done for the year lit looks like. They took down the cam but I saw there is no snow at the bottom. It is now just Bravo and HG and Valley house on the weekends.
Yea...they announced last weekend that last Sunday would be the last chance for GH laps. I made sure to take a final run last Sunday on Sunrise for the season. Sunrise had plenty of snow at the time, but the stuff off GH was definitely getting thin last weekend.

Kingslug20

Stowe report this morning was the lift and towers were completely frozen
I imagine sb had a similar issue this morning
A bit depressing

TSQURD

Stowe report this morning was the lift and towers were completely frozen
I imagine sb had a similar issue this morning
A bit depressing
Current view on the Mid Mtn Snow Stake

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-04-08 at 12.10.10 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-04-08 at 12.10.10 PM.png
    3.1 MB · Views: 21

ThatGuy

Vanilla Ice Abc GIF by Dancing with the Stars

Los

really is, looks like the largest stage I've ever seen at SB being erected now. And I think I saw a boat being dragged up the hill for pond skimming. Judges stand perhaps? Looks like they are planning a big party!
Stage is for G Love - remember him??

Two other performers as well. Weather though is a HUGE bummer….

Edit - G Love, but sadly, no Special Sauce

cdskier

Well the skiing out there today was quite nice...until it started raining a little before 3 and I got soaked. It was snow/sleet above the top of Spillsville so maybe the snow levels will start to drop a bit. The amount of ice on some of the surfaces at the summit was impressive. Looked like almost a inch on one side of some of the trees up there.