• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

cdskier

Well this is interesting. Looks like on the LP side the snow-making is currently taking place on GH using the new pipe/guns installed over there.

Los

Well this is interesting. Looks like on the LP side the snow-making is currently taking place on GH using the new pipe/guns installed over there.
That’s what I thought I had heard - that they were going with pushover for an early opening…

Newpylong

And I said, "why would they make snow there in November?" Foot in mouth lol.

Some action on Upper Rim Run, Elbow and a little on the bottom of Lower Rim run at Ellen it looks like too.

teleo

This is a different plan. Was the last cam I looked at. With all the new gear and forcast, they should definitely be able to open sat.

cdskier

Opening at North?!
Highly unlikely considering all the chairs aren't even on GMX (or NRX for that matter).

The kick off party mentioned is just the annual Big Kicker party. I can't recall where it was last year, but for a number of years this was at American Flatbread if I recall correctly.

Hawk

Where did you see Mt Ellen? I went to the conditions page and this is what they said.

"The mountain has awakened with snowmaking operations underway up high at Mt. Ellen and on the Gate House side at Lincoln Peak. Temps look promising throughout the week, and we remain hopeful to kicking the season off soon.
Our projected Opening Day is currently Saturday, November 19th, weather permitting, but we expect to have a much better picture of if we can make that a reality as the week progresses. We will continue to share updates as we have them.
We've also been busy investing over $7 million in on mountain improvements this summer, and can't wait to have you experience our new snowmaking, grooming, and cabin cat upgrades. In the meantime, dust off those skis, make sure you have your pass, Quad Pack, or lift tickets purchased, and whip yourself into shape. We'll be skiing soon."

They were not specific on where they were opening first. I would love a mt Ellen opeing but I bet they are saving that for the racers.

cdskier

And I said, "why would they make snow there in November?" Foot in mouth lol.

I had "defended" the fact that it could be a target in November, but that was still with it being 2nd or 3rd in line behind VH and HG terrain...never expected to see that the first trails they hit.

Where did you see Mt Ellen? I went to the conditions page and this is what they said.

"The mountain has awakened with snowmaking operations underway up high at Mt. Ellen and on the Gate House side at Lincoln Peak. Temps look promising throughout the week, and we remain hopeful to kicking the season off soon.
Our projected Opening Day is currently Saturday, November 19th, weather permitting, but we expect to have a much better picture of if we can make that a reality as the week progresses. We will continue to share updates as we have them.
We've also been busy investing over $7 million in on mountain improvements this summer, and can't wait to have you experience our new snowmaking, grooming, and cabin cat upgrades. In the meantime, dust off those skis, make sure you have your pass, Quad Pack, or lift tickets purchased, and whip yourself into shape. We'll be skiing soon."

They were not specific on where they were opening first. I would love a mt Ellen opeing but I bet they are saving that for the racers.

He's talking about The Big Kicker party listed on the events page:

slatham

As you all know I speculated that GH would be earlier than past years due to new pipes etc., but never expected it be first! When I saw no guns up high on the cam my first and only thought was a technical issue. Go figure.

cdskier

I would have preferred them hammer snowball->fling to get that open first than pushover.

Exactly...unless the thought process is they have enough time to do both, so get GH snow down first so it can sit and dry before grooming. Then do the VH side and if people have to ski it ungroomed if they run out of time for it to dry and be groomed, it wouldn't be as much of an issue as an ungroomed GH route.