• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

cdskier

First thing this morning at Ellen almost all the naturals were closed (as they should be). Took them way too long to update the report to reflect that. Still really have no idea how they were so optimistic. You would have needed a decent amount of back-end snow to keep the natural terrain skiable.

cdskier

Down to 80 / 111 trails open now

View attachment 56714
I don't even think that 80 number is accurate. It shows Spin Out open but Lower FIS and Southbound closed... Also shows Exterminator and Lower Exterminator open. Both were closed as of the time I left ME and I find it difficult to believe they would have opened them since then.

hovercraft

Had to know that being 💯 open wasn’t a reality no matter what they were saying last night or this morning. Sorry to disappoint shredmonkey 😛

cdskier

They should try to write a better report...not that hard.

Although to be fair, it isn't the snow reporter's fault if he's told by mountain ops they expect to reopen all terrain and be 100% open. I don't know who in their right mind thought 100% would be possible today after yesterday's weather.

In other news: "The big buzz in the grooming department is that F.I.S will be getting a fresh coat of corduroy tonight for the first time March 17th, 2017! Come tomorrow morning you will be able to twist and turn your way down F.I.S on a beautiful carpet of corduroy for the first time in 2,164 days!"

I knew it had been a while since it was last groomed, but I'm impressed someone either knew or looked up the date.

pinnoke

Although to be fair, it isn't the snow reporter's fault if he's told by mountain ops they expect to reopen all terrain and be 100% open. I don't know who in their right mind thought 100% would be possible today after yesterday's weather.

In other news: "The big buzz in the grooming department is that F.I.S will be getting a fresh coat of corduroy tonight for the first time March 17th, 2017! Come tomorrow morning you will be able to twist and turn your way down F.I.S on a beautiful carpet of corduroy for the first time in 2,164 days!"

I knew it had been a while since it was last groomed, but I'm impressed someone either knew or looked up the date.
"A beautiful carpet of corduroy..." might not be achieved with one groom?! Go slow until ya know.

tumbler

Today was much better than expected. Stay on groomers and could find snow to turn on. Skied much longer than anticipated.

thetrailboss

Staff member
D141A6C2-0DAA-4743-8DE1-51ADE30DC33A.jpegAlthough to be fair, it isn't the snow reporter's fault if he's told by mountain ops they expect to reopen all terrain and be 100% open. I don't know who in their right mind thought 100% would be possible today after yesterday's weather.

cdskier

"A beautiful carpet of corduroy..." might not be achieved with one groom?! Go slow until ya know.
Curious how it was in person (I was at LP today)...grabbed this screenshot from the webcam history of this morning that appears to have been shortly before they finished grooming it.

FIS.PNG

On another note...looks like GMX is back down again. Snow report still lists it as just "Delayed", but webcam shows they took down the corral already which can't be a good sign.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Curious how it was in person (I was at LP today)...grabbed this screenshot from the webcam history of this morning that appears to have been shortly before they finished grooming it.

View attachment 56744

On another note...looks like GMX is back down again. Snow report still lists it as just "Delayed", but webcam shows they took down the corral already which can't be a good sign.
I miss FIS.

HowieT2

View attachment 56744

That means the forecast is promising

ducky

Does anyone see where Sugarbush, calling for a foot or more Weds, and Unofficial, calling for two feet by the weekend, are getting their intel? NOAA and my phone have nothing but scattered snow showers.

HowieT2

Does anyone see where Sugarbush, calling for a foot or more Weds, and Unofficial, calling for two feet by the weekend, are getting their intel? NOAA and my phone have nothing but scattered snow showers.
Time for a new phone?
noaa/nws has snow from Wednesday night through friday morning.
snow-forecast.com has about 13”

cdskier

NOAA is showing more than snow showers although they won't give amounts this far out. The models are absolutely predicting a decent amount of snow (plus a potential for some mixing...).

The weather app on my phone is also showing 12+ for Warren Wed-Fri.