• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

WinS

Anyone know what’s up with GMX? Was down most of last week, briefly back Saturday, and now down again.
This is what I understand occurred. The cold snap created an internal combustion problem with the motor, so it had to be taken out and shipped to a shop in NH for repair. When it came back, it ran smoothly for a day and then came to a sudden stop. After a couple of days of work by the local team, Poma and Royale Electric a $40 part at the back of the drive was discover to have failed. simple Fix but a very complicated diagnosis. Yes, there are two diesel engines and the lift is allowed to run on one with the other a back-up, but the back-up is not working so will need repair or replacement.

Lotso

This is what I understand occurred. The cold snap created an internal combustion problem with the motor, so it had to be taken out and shipped to a shop in NH for repair. When it came back, it ran smoothly for a day and then came to a sudden stop. After a couple of days of work by the local team, Poma and Royale Electric a $40 part at the back of the drive was discover to have failed. simple Fix but a very complicated diagnosis. Yes, there are two diesel engines and the lift is allowed to run on one with the other a back-up, but the back-up is not working so will need repair or replacement.
Thanks, Win. The transparency is helpful. Hope they can get it fixed but at least the overall layout allows for folks to get up the hill.

ducky

Maybe 5-6 at our house and still snowing. Wife is already gone for the 8am lift.

I see CR closed but GMX open on the website.

Hawk

Not only are the sandwiches delicious...but they are also an incredible value. $7 for a half sub!
They also have a really good asian noodle salad and potato salad as a side. We don't go out that much and cook a lot. They have everything and some things you do not expect. The dried meats, sausages and various cheese section is really good. They also have things like pate, spreads and smoke salmon. As you can tell we have a thing for the apre appitizer spread.

Newpylong

I'm probably showing the time I've been away from the valley but these were my favorite places when I lived there. Are any still around?

-La Patisserie: that little joint that sold sandwiches and wine etc in Waitsfield. The bread was to die for. Catching them actually open was a challenge.
-The Very Small Donut company. That oatmeal bread oh man and obviously the mini donuts.

Also loved the sandwiches at the Mehuron deli.

crank

They also have a really good asian noodle salad and potato salad as a side. We don't go out that much and cook a lot. They have everything and some things you do not expect. The dried meats, sausages and various cheese section is really good. They also have things like pate, spreads and smoke salmon. As you can tell we have a thing for the apre appitizer spread.
We always hit them up for various cheese and salami whenever we roll into town. Went to the pricey, touristy place across the street once by mistake.

We met some friends at Lawson's for a dinner of apps and beer earlier this season and enjoyed that. Not tons of food options from what I remember though.

Sucks to hear Warren Store has gone downhill. Really liked their breakfast sandwiches.

Enjoy the storm! I am nursing a sore knee and waiting for Banff in 3.5 weeks for next ski adventure.

Last edited:

pinnoke

My understanding is that John A. is now the Director of the Catamount X-C Ski/Bike Center in Williston

ducky

Miss seeing John regularly at SB but saw him the other day out with kiddos. He is indeed at Catamount.

Not a bad day but certainly plenty of ice exposed later in the day. Tomorrow's high forecast, 14˚.

Lotso

Bridge Street Bakery was pretty awesome for the few years she was there... as was Michael's Good To Go

And the brisket at Canteen is bomber...

HowieT2

Bridge Street Bakery was pretty awesome for the few years she was there... as was Michael's Good To Go

And the brisket at Canteen is bomber...
michaels was good but theyve been gone for years.

I assume the brisket at canteen was a special

cdskier

michaels was good but theyve been gone for years.

I assume the brisket at canteen was a special
Dunno. I just ordered it off their menu board in the shop.

It is a special, although I've seen it listed somewhat regularly. Of course they've also been out of it the times I did want to order it!

I need to try the asian noodle salad one day. I've had the potato salad plenty of times. They also make a number of really good chicken salads. I complain when I'm back in NJ that I wish grocery stores and delis around me there had some good home-made (and different) chicken salads like Mehurons does.

Hope everyone enjoys the skiing this weekend. I'm heading back to NJ in the morning for a funeral. My goal is to drive back up Sunday and then ski Monday though...save some snow for me!