• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

Mak

I don't even bother with the report anymore. Cameras and NOAA or Wunderground tell me what's what; the report is just nonsense. Similar to the radio dude that you hear from time to time. Just blather
Its not supposed to be an in depth weather report. Get a grip.
The Sugarbush snow report is useless at best and offensive to intelligent life forms on average. Compare the level of useful information to that from Scott’s Stowe report today:

“Regarding our winching operations, due to the cold air mass in place this week our grooming team will take the opportunity to fix and rebuild several key intermediate trails. Throughout the winter, snow gets pushed downhill by skier traffic, which leads to deep base depths at the bottom of various rollovers/pitches but we see thin cover on and above the actual pitch.

The winch snowcats will be busy over the next couple of nights moving snow back uphill to the top of pitches and rollovers on trails like North Slope, T-Line, Lord, Upper Perry Merrill, etc. We need to do this while it is cold (which has been a rare commodity lately) and this will set those trails up for success over the final month of the season.

We are hopeful that tonight’s snowfall will reopen all of the steeps, then we will get back into our normal winching program on the steep favorites later this week.”
I know you're all a bunch of old boomers, and that any way of speaking that isn't similar to yours is offensive, but shit...do you know who is actually reading these and skiing? Young folks. Gen Z. They relate to this. You all think it's supposed to be a comprehensive weather statement but its not. It's just saying what happened, and what's on the ground. Its RELATABLE to young people. Frankly, this forum is dead to us.

Smellytele

I know you're all a bunch of old boomers, and that any way of speaking that isn't similar to yours is offensive, but shit...do you know who is actually reading these and skiing? Young folks. Gen Z. They relate to this. You all think it's supposed to be a comprehensive weather statement but its not. It's just saying what happened, and what's on the ground. Its RELATABLE to young people. Frankly, this forum is dead to us.
More X’s than boomers.

Hawk

As a Gen-X'er I think I can bridge the gap in my thinking. You are missing the point of the issue that people are upset about. There are other mountains like MRG and Stowe that nail the report. Sugarbush is not ever close. You do realize that even across the last 3 or 4 generations, the use of the english language has been fairly standard. My grand parents, my parents, my siblings all speak in complete sentences, with mostly proper gramar and have at lease a moderate understand of sentence structure and tone. It has only been the last 20 years or so that kids have completely gone off the rail. Emoji speak., totally inventive words that make little sense, acronyms, the use of the word "Like" in every sentence. Many kids today can't even pay attention long enough to have a conversation. They have to look at thier phones. No the proper use of the language is something that has gone by the wayside.

And also.....the forum is not that dead to most or you either. you cared enough to post. ;-)

pinnoke

We CAN have it both ways, with some work and attention to making it most informative for those who continue to seek and enjoy the latest Sugarbush reports. Hey, does anyone want to hear about my fantastic 4 days at Winter Park before, during, and after their big, recent storm?! See y'all soon back at The Bush...

Cheetah440

Ok homeslice

Cheetah440

As a Gen-X'er I think I can bridge the gap in my thinking. You are missing the point of the issue that people are upset about. There are other mountains like MRG and Stowe that nail the report. Sugarbush is not ever close. You do realize that even across the last 3 or 4 generations, the use of the english language has been fairly standard. My grand parents, my parents, my siblings all speak in complete sentences, with mostly proper gramar and have at lease a moderate understand of sentence structure and tone. It has only been the last 20 years or so that kids have completely gone off the rail. Emoji speak., totally inventive words that make little sense, acronyms, the use of the word "Like" in every sentence. Many kids today can't even pay attention long enough to have a conversation. They have to look at thier phones. No the proper use of the language is something that has gone by the wayside.

And also.....the forum is not that dead to most or you either. you cared enough to post. ;-)
MRG has always been the gold standard

cdskier

We CAN have it both ways, with some work and attention to making it most informative for those who continue to seek and enjoy the latest Sugarbush reports. Hey, does anyone want to hear about my fantastic 4 days at Winter Park before, during, and after their big, recent storm?! See y'all soon back at The Bush...

Exactly! It isn't difficult. I keep using your old reports as the gold standard for SB reports. You were honest about conditions and yet also showed plenty of enthusiasm (even on days that conditions might not have been so great). The snow reporters more recently seem to just put a positive spin on almost anything and have no sense of reality many days. Or they have 1 or 2 sentences talking about actual skiing and the rest is just marketing advertisements about events, promotions, and contests (don't get me wrong, those have a place too, but they should be secondary in the context of a "snow report").

I also don't know why we haven't figured out how to put spacing between paragraphs/sections yet in the report that display properly on the website. Stratton is able to do it, so it doesn't seem like some weird limitation of the Alterra web template (unless they're both on different versions of the template). The spacing is there in the App (and the e-mailed copies of the reports), but not in a web browser which is the main way myself and I'm sure many others look at the report.

mikec142

Keep it together folks. I expect this kind of bickering during the off season...not while there is still snow on the ground! ;)

thetrailboss

Staff member

Damn, where did this come from? Way to win friends and influence people. :rolleyes:

ingsy

Hey Folks. I am betting on snow Saturday AM and signed up for the Sunrise cat ride. You show up at 6:30 and ride the cat to the top of North Lynx, and you get 5 or so runs depending on speed of the group. But this only runs if enough people sign up. Did this once after a storm and it was great. Costs 125 which stinks but hey, if you are an early bird and think we might get snow then it could be worth it.

LuckyStrike

Sounds like fun but I spend my money staying at the Warren Lodge this weekend. I'll have to wait to hit the trails with the rest of the plebs

HowieT2

Hey Folks. I am betting on snow Saturday AM and signed up for the Sunrise cat ride. You show up at 6:30 and ride the cat to the top of North Lynx, and you get 5 or so runs depending on speed of the group. But this only runs if enough people sign up. Did this once after a storm and it was great. Costs 125 which stinks but hey, if you are an early bird and think we might get snow then it could be worth it.
Not sure saturday am is when you want to b e doing this based on the timing of the forecast. Looks like most of the snow is during the day saturday into saturday night.

bumpcrasher

NorthRidge being broken is nothing new yet Castlerock has the issue at Tower 11. Any chance either lift comes back online??