• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The weather report LIES - Epic TUX today

AdironRider

So I finnally got to pop my Tux cherry today and man was it all I had hoped it to be. Woke up at the gf's place around 7 and checked the weather. Didnt look good, but the lack of consistency from report to report made me feel like the hour drive to Pinkham would be worth it.

From N. Conway past Jackson it poured, which was a major downer that early in the day, but I was determined to put at least some effort in, as this was my one shot this year to try Tucks. In a spot of amazing luck the rain let up maybe 1/2 mile away from Pinkham, good sign. I got the last parking spot in the lot, also a good sign, as I had heard stories of walking miles just to the trailhead. I didnt even bother to ask anyone, the hoards of people making the trip as well was enough to convince me it would be worth it. I was going to ride Tucks.

The hike up wasnt to bad, minus the fact I underestimated my physical conditioning greatly after 6 months of drinking team practice at St. Lawrence. Either way I made good time to Hojo's making the hike in about 1:20. I asked every single person walking down the trail how the skiing was, and didnt hear one bad word. I was pumped, my dream was becoming reality.

Arrived at Hojo's and talked to the Rangers. Snow was soft with alot of danger for icefall. The ski patroller I talked to after made it sound like you were going to die if you even wandered over to the right side but I think he was exagerating. I took the standard avy board picture and moved on.

I arrived in the ravine with the top half of the bowl stuck in a cloud. It was pretty cool as clouds had socked in below hojos so I was in maybe a 1000 vertical level of clear air. But within minutes the clouds cleared, and it was bluebird. So much for the rain all day tuckerman.org was forcasting.

I hiked up left gully in about 45 minutes. About 100 feet from the top a cloud rolled in with wind, probably gusting to at least 30 with small hail pellets. Talk about Mt. Washington weather. Made me feel that much cooler as it felt like a true mountaineering experience. Strapped in and got ready to make the plunge.

The first turn had my heart thumping but after that it was easily the best run of my life. The snow was perfect, not to choppy and super soft. Simply incredible. The run is really cool as the rock walls on either side narrow towards the middle. Made about 10 swooping carves downt the entire run and it was over. I let out a holler as I bombed down into the bottom of the bowl, hitting a little kicker that had been set up before. A great run indeed.

I only had time for one run as I still had to make it back home for Easter at my rents house and had to tie up some loose ends back home but I couldnt have asked for anything better. I took a ton of pics which Ill post up come Monday when I get back to school.

Moral of the story, Mt Washington weather upholds its reputation, you never know what your going to get. Get out there, theres still plenty of snow to rip.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
glad the weather cleared up for you and glad you had a good day. we had off and on rain here in north eastern VT, hard to imagine things cleared up on the rock pile today. pretty rare to get a weather change in your favor up there.

Arrived at Hojo's and talked to the Rangers. Snow was soft with alot of danger for icefall. The ski patroller I talked to after made it sound like you were going to die if you even wandered over to the right side but I think he was exagerating.
don't be lulled into a false sense of confidence, the rangers up there know the ravine well and ice fall has killed and severely injured people before and is especially dangerous on the right side of the bowl during spring time and warming conditions. many folks, myself included, would recommend avoiding lunch rocks when the danger is high. i have been in the ravine when a VW sized boulder almost nailed someone, i show great respect for the ravine even when dangerous conditions are not prevenlent and ice fall most definitely is this time of year.

awf170

riverc0il said:
glad the weather cleared up for you and glad you had a good day. we had off and on rain here in north eastern VT, hard to imagine things cleared up on the rock pile today. pretty rare to get a weather change in your favor up there.

don't be lulled into a false sense of confidence, the rangers up there know the ravine well and ice fall has killed and severely injured people before and is especially dangerous on the right side of the bowl during spring time and warming conditions. many folks, myself included, would recommend avoiding lunch rocks when the danger is high. i have been in the ravine when a VW sized boulder almost nailed someone, i show great respect for the ravine even when dangerous conditions are not prevenlent and ice fall most definitely is this time of year.

Not positive, but I think I heard somewhere that there has been more deaths or injuries because of falling ice in Tux then because of avalances.

Anyway nice TR, but I don't really understand how the weather reports were lies. From what I saw I thought it was going to be a nice day today after about 10 am.

AdironRider

Tuckerman.org posted Friday that it was going to be raining all day with thunderstorms on Sat with a cold front rolling coming in the afternoon turning everything to ice and snow....

I wish I had seen your weather report, it would have convinced some of my buddies to go.

awf170

AdironRider said:
Tuckerman.org posted Friday that it was going to be raining all day with thunderstorms on Sat with a cold front rolling coming in the afternoon turning everything to ice and snow....

I wish I had seen your weather report, it would have convinced some of my buddies to go.

I had the official RR forcast::lol:
RR said:
RR calls it this way:
Saturday it will be drizzling until late morning when a period of light rain and drying air will make for good mid-day skiing.

Sleep late and rehydrate Sat Am and head up from the Shelter around 10AM while it is still drizzling. By the top of Left the air will be as dry as it will get. The turns will be crazy fun as soft contidions rule.

Be out of the ravine around 4:30 as it will start to get wet again by 5 or 6.

Sunday you will want warm and dry clothes so you can get up early to catch some dust on crust and freshies all day. It will keep snowing so call in sick Monday Morning :cooldog:

salida

Website
ecampus.bentley.edu
I was in the ravine on Saturday as well. I think much of the ice that could have fallen down on the right side, has fallen (not to say it wont fall again, but just pay attention and have an escape route if it starts to fall, and don't boot ladder under neath it)

The main boot ladder on the right side leads right to one of the main crevasses, be careful.

I skied the chute variation to skiers left, and the head wall on saturday. It was splendid skiing, and it was clear and no one was there by comparision to a normal sat. We started going down when the sleet/grappel came down.

-Porter