• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The Whiteface Slides are OPEN!

MadMadWorld

Why?

Honestly, the slides, while epic for East coast, are relatively tame in the grand scheme of things. I think its more hurtful than beneficial to keep them excluded to only gear wearing patrons when they are perfectly safe. Again, these are not really active slide paths, but more average terrain for a Western resort's alpine offerings, which are open regularly without avi equipment being required every day.

They are quite tame on the grand scheme of things but make no mistake, it most certainly is an active slide path. This happened 2 years ago when a few people skied it when it was close because of avalanche danger.

197877_10150407894325464_107657715463_17011619_6906546_n.jpg

Yes, they are overly restrictive in most cases and I think they should back off a bit but the fact of the matter is that 99% of East Coast skiers know nothing about avalanche danger. Taking precautions to require skiers to have the right gear in certain conditions is a smart move.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I wouldn't be surprised if the mountain's insurance company plays a roll in the safety gear requirement.

BenedictGomez

Did anyone get out on the slides this weekend?

Were they open?

I was there yesterday, and got excited when I saw two people coming down around 12:30, but I wondered if they were poachers. Sure enough, when I got to the summit it was clearly marked - "CLOSED". Went in for lunch after that about about 1:10, back out at 2pm and didnt see anyone in there the rest of the day. Either way, my missing out on The Slides continues.

Huck_It_Baby

Were they open?

I was there yesterday, and got excited when I saw two people coming down around 12:30, but I wondered if they were poachers. Sure enough, when I got to the summit it was clearly marked - "CLOSED". Went in for lunch after that about about 1:10, back out at 2pm and didnt see anyone in there the rest of the day. Either way, my missing out on The Slides continues.

I'm not sure actually. I thought I saw that they opened but sounds like they were closed according to you. Sorry you missed it.

BenedictGomez

They were open for about an hour and a half on Sunday. Pretty bony, but really fun:

Son of a bitch.

Then the two "poachers" I saw were probably ski patrol testing the snow, and the only time it was open was probably the 45 minutes I took for lunch + the next run.

<---- Remains "Slides Plagued"

jimk

Sorry for bumping a misleading/premature old thread title.:uzi:
What are the odds this kind of dumping on 3/12 and 13 will open the slides at Whiteface? Will be up there next week. Not sure I'm capable of skiing them until I get a look, but sure would be interesting to consider the possibility.

watkin

If anyone knows def post here, I'm trying to decide between Whiteface and Sugarbush for this sat, or more specifically the slides vs slidebrook.

MadMadWorld

If anyone knows def post here, I'm trying to decide between Whiteface and Sugarbush for this sat, or more specifically the slides vs slidebrook.

Even if they get slammed I think it will either have a delayed opening or transceiver/shovel/probe because the snow will probably be weird layers of snow because of the temp changes and wind loading. Sunday might be a better bet after it sees sun and warmer temps

skiNEwhere

Wonder where highpeaksdrifter is? He used to post a lot on AZ about whiteface and would probably have a good idea of when it might open

watkin

Even if they get slammed I think it will either have a delayed opening or transceiver/shovel/probe because the snow will probably be weird layers of snow because of the temp changes and wind loading. Sunday might be a better bet after it sees sun and warmer temps

WF got 15" and I am seeing reports of instability already. Looks like I'm going to slidebrook instead.

MadMadWorld

WF got 15" and I am seeing reports of instability already. Looks like I'm going to slidebrook instead.

Doesn't surprise me. I would think that would be good by Sunday though. But as we know what WF patrol thinks is usually different.

highpeaksdrifter

No one can tell you def, its a day to a day decision based on a variety of variables I don’t feel likegoing into right now. That said, we are reporting 21 inches from this storm andthe mountain is skiing great. I believe we have enough snow in the Slides toopen soon, we’ll just have to see how everything else plays out.

highpeaksdrifter

All good point, plus requiring avi gear weeds out people who would be in over their head when snow conditions are difficult.

MadMadWorld

Do you really think you are more equipped to judge theopening of an ADK slide then the WF ski patrol? People have been seriouslyinjured or killed skiing slides in the ADK’s.

In college I got my AIARE level I and II as well as WFR so I do think I can. On many occasions I have seen the Slides closed (with sufficient base) when avalanche danger is low or non-existent. It would be nice to know what their reasoning is sometimes.