• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The Wild, the Innocent and the Lift Line Shuffle

roark

If there's no singles line and empty seats heading up I'm gonna be that guy who yells single and jumps ahead. I'm not looking for other singles: I'm looking to fill the empty seat when a double loads a triple, etc. I'm not making anyone else wait longer, just utilizing the available uphill capacity. I hate standing in line and watching chairs with open seats heading up. Ideally, good liftline management takes care of this but far too often it doesn't.

ta&idaho

How about a poll: which is the most likely to cause liftline inefficiency?

a. bad liftline design (type of corrals, presence/absence of singles line, method for merging)
b. bad liftline management (by resort employees)
c. bad liftline behavior (by skiers and riders)

roark

well, good b can help compensate for a. But in general I'd say a > b > c, because good design and management doesn't really provide an opportunity for much bad behaovior (pretty much the only behaviour left would be blatant cutting).

redalienx11

Website
www.alaskamountainguides.com
this got me thinking. i hate liflines alot. I think I would rather ski terrain that is not my favorite, but has no liftline, then ski my favorite terrain with a huge liftline. of course this doesnt mean i will only ski the boring trails if there is a liftline everywhere else...but it is definitely something i take into account.

it usually doesn't come down to that, and sometimes i have no choice, but i hate standing in lines.

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
How about a poll: which is the most likely to cause liftline inefficiency?

a. bad liftline design (type of corrals, presence/absence of singles line, method for merging)
b. bad liftline management (by resort employees)
c. bad liftline behavior (by skiers and riders)
I'd say if you have !A, you can minimize the effect B, and you'll always have a little C.

But if you have both !A and !B, it makes a little C much more tolerable.

Talisman

IThe guy I hate the most is the guy who skis down to a lift line, stops near the front and yells “Anybody single?” like he’s doing everyone a favor.

I'm that guy in a few places with double chairs or t-bars with big lines and it is not easy to tell who's a pair and who is single. The Castle Rock double chair is a good example of a long line with no singles area and if the ski patroller is cutting the line to go up single I'll ask to go along.

In a well organized lift corral with a singles line, I don't bother with yelling and get in line.

Lift corral management seems to be a differentiator for ski areas. Some places do a great job with line management and every chair goes up full and others not so much.

dmc

Ski Gore. :cool:

+1 on Europe being the worst. In Switzerland they push you down and take your lunch money.

It's considered completely acceptable behavior. I just don't get it.

It's been my observation that most Americans are actually pretty polite with personal space as compared to other countries..

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
It's been my observation that most Americans are actually pretty polite with personal space as compared to other countries..
+2.

HPD should never go to Europe.

I saw an American once go ballistic in the lift line. He started jumping up and down and swinging his poles in a pivot. Everyone backed off. As soon as he stopped, they started pushing past him. HPD will probably end up in some dark European jail...:???:

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
I'm that guy in a few places with double chairs or t-bars with big lines and it is not easy to tell who's a pair and who is single. The Castle Rock double chair is a good example of a long line with no singles area and if the ski patroller is cutting the line to go up single I'll ask to go along.

In a well organized lift corral with a singles line, I don't bother with yelling and get in line.

Lift corral management seems to be a differentiator for ski areas. Some places do a great job with line management and every chair goes up full and others not so much.

but if you noticed, they don't usually hire Operations Management majors to work in lift lines..... :???:

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Hey, I'm skiing to have fun and relax. Last thing I need is to be worked up on my day off. I'll just go to the single line and chill, which is why I take the back roads to work instead of the highway.

Jeffy

What I cant stand is when people hit the back of my snowboard... If they do it hard enough it can knock me on my ass..

Agreed, not cool. On the flip side, what about those 'boarders who right in line *SMASH* their boards up and down making those horrendous loud crashing noises in attempt to clear some snow from their bindings or whatever. For most people its incredibly annoying but I ski most of the time with a hangover so its hell for me.

WJenness

Agreed, not cool. On the flip side, what about those 'boarders who right in line *SMASH* their boards up and down making those horrendous loud crashing noises in attempt to clear some snow from their bindings or whatever. For most people its incredibly annoying but I ski most of the time with a hangover so its hell for me.

I don't care usually... except when they come down right on my skis and don't seem to care even when I say something to them... Makes me want to dig my pole into their top sheet.

I hate it when people can't respect other people and other people's stuff. (yes, I realize my reactionary thoughts are hypocritical... I've never actually done it, just wanted to).

-w

dmc

What about it?

highpeaksdrifter

+2.

HPD should never go to Europe.

I saw an American once go ballistic in the lift line. He started jumping up and down and swinging his poles in a pivot. Everyone backed off. As soon as he stopped, they started pushing past him. HPD will probably end up in some dark European jail...:???:

I've been, held my own, no jail time.

dmc

Inquiring minds want to know, Why do people do that? Or is it an involuntary adolescent activity?

WE do it to clear snow off the deck.. So it doesn't weigh heavy on the ride up...

Aslo replaces snow into the lift line and keeps sow from falling off the board onto people while on the chair... :)

dmc

Perhaps you missed the last sentance:

For most people its incredibly annoying

Kinda like someone who uses big fonts to make a point... :)

I guess it just doesn't seem like a big deal to me...

I don't know... I see skiers wacking skis to clear snow... But skis dont have as much to make a sound so I guess it;s not an issue... Probably the noise is what makes you mad..