• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Things that annoy you

mondeo

As in things you do or things that happen, not what other folks do to annoy you.

When a statement is posted on an internet forum with the intent of humor, but due to the lack of non-verbal communication that intent is lost, or at least partially obscured...

deadheadskier

Staff member
When a statement is posted on an internet forum with the intent of humor, but due to the lack of non-verbal communication that intent is lost, or at least partially obscured...

man, that belongs in the thread I just made about internet persona interactions :)

couldn't agree with you more.....

Trekchick

Let's stick with the inanimate or personal things you do.
Thread starters who think they have control of the direction of a thread
duck.gif

dmc

And we store the generate power in what for the times when there is no wind or the sun isn't shinning? OH yeah batteries .. millions and millions of batteries. Where do they go at the end of life? .. ok here is the twist of my industry no power can be generated unless it is being consumed on the other end.. For large scale generation wind and solar can never cut it .. maybe peak loads. Most generation is base loads and then you have your peak load plants. Nuclear is only good for large scale base loads.
My company builds, owns and operates the most wind farms in the country. That being said they make their money off the them through the federal subsidy only .. Last year Congress all most did away with it and the company was making plans to unload all the farms at the time. Wind isn't viable and the wind turbine are ugly to look at .. There is no such thing as "Green" it is a marketing ploy .. everything has a "negative" impact in some form...

Cool... So we should just stop all the work to make new batteries better... Because now it sucks... nice...

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
And we store the generate power in what for the times when there is no wind or the sun isn't shinning? OH yeah batteries .. millions and millions of batteries. Where do they go at the end of life? .. ok here is the twist of my industry no power can be generated unless it is being consumed on the other end.. For large scale generation wind and solar can never cut it .. maybe peak loads. Most generation is base loads and then you have your peak load plants. Nuclear is only good for large scale base loads.

That's not entirely true. There are other ways of storing energy besides chemical... for instance the Northfield Mountain pump storage project... ok, so that's not exactly viable on a large scale and definitely isn't all that green...

My company builds, owns and operates the most wind farms in the country. That being said they make their money off the them through the federal subsidy only .. Last year Congress all most did away with it and the company was making plans to unload all the farms at the time. Wind isn't viable and the wind turbine are ugly to look at .. There is no such thing as "Green" it is a marketing ploy .. everything has a "negative" impact in some form...

Ha! Jerry has rediscovered the second law of thermodynamics. :dunce:

bvibert

Staff member
You start watching a movie from Netflix and it's the same movie you got a couple of weeks ago.

When watching a movie from Blockbuster and in the middle it suddenly stops, or skips back to the beginning because the disk is all scratched up and/or dirty.... :roll:

ctenidae

The warning on plastic containers that says "Caution: Contents May Be Hot." You bought the thing empty, you put something in it, you put it in the microwave. Do you really need a warning? Dang stupid people. And lawyers. So I guess really it's stupid people and lawyers that annoy me.

Unfortunately, neither is inanimate.

bvibert

Staff member
So I guess really it's stupid people and lawyers that annoy me.

You sure about that? I've met some really boring lawyers and stupid people that may as well have been inanimate. ;)

ctenidae

ok here is the twist of my industry no power can be generated unless it is being consumed on the other end.. For large scale generation wind and solar can never cut it .. maybe peak loads. Most generation is base loads and then you have your peak load plants. Nuclear is only good for large scale base loads.

Maybe not "Green," but at least "Less Brown."

Fully agree- wind and solar aren't, at the moment, suitable for base loads (see Texas' Level 2 power emergency in February), and wind's not even much good for peak, since the wind blows in the morning and evening, not exactly peak times. The problem lies, I think, more in the grid than in the source. A nationwide "smart" grid could alleviate much of the problem, and is probably a really good idea, anyway.

(hope I didn't annoy Greg, there :razz:)

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
Maybe not "Green," but at least "Less Brown."

Fully agree- wind and solar aren't, at the moment, suitable for base loads (see Texas' Level 2 power emergency in February), and wind's not even much good for peak, since the wind blows in the morning and evening, not exactly peak times. The problem lies, I think, more in the grid than in the source. A nationwide "smart" grid could alleviate much of the problem, and is probably a really good idea, anyway.

(hope I didn't annoy Greg, there :razz:)

Think of all the evil entropy created with just this one post.

bvibert

Staff member
When there's not a constant flow of good posts to read and I get bored...

Moe Ghoul

The warning on plastic containers that says "Caution: Contents May Be Hot." You bought the thing empty, you put something in it, you put it in the microwave. Do you really need a warning? Dang stupid people. And lawyers. So I guess really it's stupid people and lawyers that annoy me.

In a similar vein, all those plastic containers for most products that require a chainsaw to open. Batteries are one example.

10,000 spoons and all you need is a knife

Going to any kind of Dr.

Indecisive customers

Space cadet bartenders and servers who are slow.

Girls I talk to on the phone who carry on other conversations at the same time.

Skiers who enjoy summertime

Fairweather skiers

People who call me to ask if I received their fax/e-mail..

Fat Bitches who wear skimpy clothes..

Skinny bitches who wear baggy clothes