• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Time to Research Passes

How much time do you spend each year looking for best prices on season passes and tickets?

• 15 - minutes to 30 minutes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2 hours to 3 hours

• 3 hours to 4 hours

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

raisingarizona

Sure wish it was as easy as it sounds!

That said, even if I could move anywhere and not worry about a job, I still wouldn't move out west. Besides skiing, I enjoy too many other things that the east has to offer that you can't really get in the west without driving hundreds of miles. And from a skiing standpoint, obviously it would be amazing to have western skiing to wake up to every day, but (as far as SLC and Denver go) I couldn't deal with that traffic. When we were driving up to Vermont last week to see the eclipse and sat in 4.5 hrs of stop and go traffic to get from Brattleboro to Lyndonville, I said to my wife "people in Colorado sit in this kind of traffic to go skiing...every fucking weekend."
Yeah, I think you have to think outside of the box these days to find your own personal skiing nirvana. I'm not attracted to the big, popular destinations any longer.

If I were thinking Colorado I'd be looking at the West slope spots.

snoseek

Yeah, I think you have to think outside of the box these days to find your own personal skiing nirvana. I'm not attracted to the big, popular destinations any longer.

If I were thinking Colorado I'd be looking at the West slope spots.
The last winter I spent out there I was taking a lot of weekends and meeting friends at powderhorn. I timed it with storms and can really dig a place like that with fresh snow. All kinds of good stuff there!

Teleskier

Second reason is, thinking back to early season, Okemo and Mt Snow seemed to have very good Novembers whereas Stratton DELAYED their opening despite a cold month
Personally I would dump any pass whose justification relies on me enjoying to ski Flatton. I'd rather XC.

Zand

Personally I would dump any pass whose justification relies on me enjoying to ski Flatton. I'd rather XC.
I know everyone here says the 3 southern VT resorts are all the same, but I don't feel the same way. North Face at Mt Snow has pitch that neither of the other two have, as well as some good woods and nats when the snow is good.

Okemo...yes it's pretty much just as flat as Stratton but something about it is just a lot more fun and laid back. Maybe it's the far superior on-mountain lift layout. Maybe the runs have a bit more character. Maybe the seeded bump runs (does Vail still do that?). It could just be the nostalgia since it's where I went the most as a kid. Not sure.

Mt Snow and Okemo are far from my favorite type of skiing, but it just feels like being able to ski them next year will make a world of difference for my season.

Zand

"Maybe the runs have a bit more character." ???
Okemo?? Almost all the trails ski the same with the same twists as the run next to it.
Those twists are more character than Stratton has lol.

I get it, neither one really has any character whatsoever. Okemo just seems to ski better to me. I can't even really explain it.