• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Tips for Skiing Tight Lines

Cheese

Hey whatever gets you through the chute... for me, I have learned to focus on what I need to do and where I need to turn rather than on what will happen if I don't make a turn and get blown out of the line. Sounds simple, but it took me years to master my fears.

The only reason I mention edge angles and self arrest is it's nice to have a backup plan. For me, it's stop first and go once I know everything worked. It's really easy (for me anyway) to release the edges or preform another jump once I know I'm good. Keep in mind the feedback received that I'm safe is often very quick and it might not even appear that I had an opportunity to call it quits.

An exception might be waterfalls where the initial landing may just be a take-off point for the next jump turn. In that case usually there's a plan for two jump turns in a row and an evaluation of what will be done if the second take-off point breaks loose, has a buried obstacle or doesn't go as planned.

Truth is, I'm very sensitive to self arrest. I haven't had a problem but sadly I've watched a half dozen deadly slides that could have ended horribly. I never expected any of these expert skiers not to realize they needed to set an edge or else so I'm oversensitive about planning the stop first and the continue on only after they're safe.

Yes, it's condition dependent. If it's a chute that empties out into a bowl, by all means turn however you wish as the slide will end humorously. If the chute ends in trees or cliffs out, just do yourself a favor and stop first and continue on as a secondary priority. I'd rather not witness another slide.

polski

Website
twitter.com
Maybe repeat some of this terrain that's giving you trouble over and over. I think some people have trouble improving because they insist on always a different trail/line every single run. Often this is combined with poor ability to read and react to the terrain, so you end up with defensive skiing and little improvement.

Seems to me with pivot turns, first time through the chute you'll be scraping most of the snow away, a disincentive to repeat the same line. Plus the other problems that have been mentioned assuming the chute surface isn't the nice smooth cord in that PSIA vid.

I like riv's thought on practicing by sticking to the tightest possible on a steep where you actually have some room for error in case you need it.

So much of this is in the head but you need enough chops to have enough confidence.

MadMadWorld

The only reason I mention edge angles and self arrest is it's nice to have a backup plan. For me, it's stop first and go once I know everything worked. It's really easy (for me anyway) to release the edges or preform another jump once I know I'm good. Keep in mind the feedback received that I'm safe is often very quick and it might not even appear that I had an opportunity to call it quits.

An exception might be waterfalls where the initial landing may just be a take-off point for the next jump turn. In that case usually there's a plan for two jump turns in a row and an evaluation of what will be done if the second take-off point breaks loose, has a buried obstacle or doesn't go as planned.

Truth is, I'm very sensitive to self arrest. I haven't had a problem but sadly I've watched a half dozen deadly slides that could have ended horribly. I never expected any of these expert skiers not to realize they needed to set an edge or else so I'm oversensitive about planning the stop first and the continue on only after they're safe.

Yes, it's condition dependent. If it's a chute that empties out into a bowl, by all means turn however you wish as the slide will end humorously. If the chute ends in trees or cliffs out, just do yourself a favor and stop first and continue on as a secondary priority. I'd rather not witness another slide.

I made the mistake of not holding my edge long enough on a jump turn on White Wall at Kicking Horse. I got spun around and ended up sliding for 29 seconds (based on my helmet cam) at about 20-30 mph. I haven't done the math but I imagine I traveled far. Sliding in a chute that empties out into a bowl isn't always safe either because this area is peppered with cliffs and rocks all throughout. To make it worse, if I had self arrested I would have slid into a pile of week old avalanche debri that was sitting at the bottom of the bowl.

Last edited:

Scruffy

Good advice here.

TropicTundR

1) Don't forget to breathe and relax
2) Bend at ze knees, slight arch to back
3) Keep weight/head forward

Any quezions?

Highway Star

Lately, I have been having to work a lot on my technique in tight trees and other narrow chutes. What advice do you guys have?

When I ski, I try to look at only the spaces in between the trees and when I get in a tight spot I find that it's important to always keep your skis moving, even if it's just a side slip as odd as that might sound.

Try to not gape it so hard!

dlague

I have been wanting to ski tighter glades but have held back not so much because of lack of ability but more from a perspective of getting into a situation that isn't working out so well. My skis are fairly stiff and do not bend/turn well in tight turns in the glades. As a result, I have a tendency to ski more open glades and find myself to be a hack in tighter trees. There is much good information in this thread that have given me ideas.

CoolMike

I've never skied, I snowboard exclusively, but I'd guess that practicing really tight lines on moguls would be a good way to practice tree and chute skiing. Try to keep your speed up and carve up every bump. I do this on my snowboard sometimes to get better at picking good lines through tight glades.

skiNEwhere

This is a great thread!

One thing that hasn't been addressed head on is speed control! Take a trail like "awe chute" at winter park. The chute is so narrow that you can't pivot slip perpendicular to the fall-line, unless you have like 110 cm ski's. How do you control speed there?

Edd

This is a great thread!

One thing that hasn't been addressed head on is speed control! Take a trail like "awe chute" at winter park. The chute is so narrow that you can't pivot slip perpendicular to the fall-line, unless you have like 110 cm ski's. How do you control speed there?

I like to handle these situations by saying "f*** that chute" and skiing away with my tail between my legs.

moresnow

This is a great thread!

Pizza? :what:

Cheese

I've never skied, I snowboard exclusively, but I'd guess that practicing really tight lines on moguls would be a good way to practice tree and chute skiing. Try to keep your speed up and carve up every bump. I do this on my snowboard sometimes to get better at picking good lines through tight glades.

Meh, tight mogul lines are created by teams and expert skiers. Although they're good practice for other skills they're a bit too predictable for a tree skiing and chutes. You're better off to find a gnarly spot off the side of a trail. Look for somewhere the groomers have leveled an off camber trail or built a bank turn and dip off the back side. You'll find variable snow conditions, death cookies, small bushes, young trees (flexible and forgiving) and probably terrain that is way off camber. Practice turns on the snow and lighter weight turns such as jump turns. Don't go around all the hazards, nail a few of them to get a feel for how they upset balance and what you need to do to recover that balance. Bottom line, don't look for the easiest way down a trail, look for the hardest and use it to fill your skill bucket.

I'm not familiar with the run, but if I were guess I'd say that you aren't supposed to control speed in the chute. If it's deep powder then you'll get some resistance from the snow. If it's tracked out, you either avoid it or if you know it well enough you can straight the chute and check your speed when the chute empties out.

Last edited:

MadMadWorld

I think it's hilarious that Highway Star tried to bring this thread back to rag on me but most people can relate to this. Someone who thinks they can't get better should quit skiing.

RustyGroomer

I think it's hilarious that Highway Star tried to bring this thread back to rag on me but most people can relate to this. Someone who thinks they can't get better should quit skiing.
Had no idea "The Star" revived this. We (mortals) all suck in comparison so don't feel bad guys.

MadMadWorld

Meh, tight mogul lines are created by teams and expert skiers. Although they're good practice for other skills they're a bit too predictable for a tree skiing and chutes. You're better off to find a gnarly spot off the side of a trail. Look for somewhere the groomers have leveled an off camber trail or built a bank turn and dip off the back side. You'll find variable snow conditions, death cookies, small bushes, young trees (flexible and forgiving) and probably terrain that is way off camber. Practice turns on the snow and lighter weight turns such as jump turns. Don't go around all the hazards, nail a few of them to get a feel for how they upset balance and what you need to do to recover that balance. Bottom line, don't look for the easiest way down a trail, look for the hardest and use it to fill your skill bucket.

I'm not familiar with the run, but if I were guess I'd say that you aren't supposed to control speed in the chute. If it's deep powder then you'll get some resistance from the snow. If it's tracked out, you either avoid it or if you know it well enough you can straight the chute and check your speed when the chute empties out.

I think it's more about bleeding off speed rather than controlling it in tight lines.