• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Topsheet Repair

Twism86

Website
gardenstatetrout.com
Hey,

So my "new to me" used skis that I picked up have some minor damage on the topsheet. Some scratches which are no big deal but there are some chips and stuff along the edges of the topsheet. Nothing is peeling right now and none are bigger than a few mm. Is there anything I can coat or seal these with along the edge to prevent any peeling or further damage where it is already chipped? I was thinking a clear epoxy type product, clear nail polish, clear drying crazy glue?

Thanks for any help. The base and edges were in great condition, just a few p-tex spots and they are good as new so its more or less cosmetic damage I dont want getting worse.

Tom

Glenn

Clear epoxy would probably work. You just have to be mindful that it may flake off after the ski flexes...and from temp changes.

Twism86

Website
gardenstatetrout.com
Been a tech since '76. Take to shop. They'll smooth topskin with file, belt, etc....brush on some slowset clear epoxy. Should cost about $15.

While that is probably the best solution, I dont have many near me and I would prefer to seal up the chips myself. Im going to get more as the season goes. For now I would like some DIY methods and perhaps at the start of next season I will give the skis a full tune and spa treatment at the shop.

mishka

G-flex your best option for epoxy.
All surfaces have to be properly prepared. Clean and sanded if sidewall or p-tex repair then flame treatment otherwise nothing will hold or if hold not for long

Scruffy

How bad are they? Does it look like they might delam or are you just being over protective of your new babies? If the chips are just cosmetic, most likely your're gonna have your way with them, beat the shit out of them, and have tossed them aside for a new pair before anything major happens to them.

56fish

Website
www.borderskirental.com
G-flex your best option for epoxy.
All surfaces have to be properly prepared. Clean and sanded if sidewall or p-tex repair then flame treatment otherwise nothing will hold or if hold not for long

+1......used it to seal sidewall on my diy splitboard. 50k vert later still holding well! No discoloration.

Twism86

Website
gardenstatetrout.com
How bad are they? Does it look like they might delam or are you just being over protective of your new babies? If the chips are just cosmetic, most likely your're gonna have your way with them, beat the shit out of them, and have tossed them aside for a new pair before anything major happens to them.

Im just anal about keeping up my equipment. I use all my sports equipment hard and try and maintain them just as good. There are no indications that they will peel or delam. I will give them a good look over tonight as I will likely be on them tomorrow with this snow. No epoxy work though as I wont have the cure time.