• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Traditions to & from your ski trips?

snowmonster

Everytime I ski in the backcountry, I bring a flask of single malt scotch. When I make it back to my car after a trip, I toast the mountain gods and the skiers who came before me then pour a few drops on the ground before I take a swig. I have to appease the mountain spirits and thank them for sharing their secrets.

On to more mundane things, each trip north to ski country starts the same way: #2 breakfast meal at McDonald's -- sausage, egg and cheese muffin with hash browns and a large coffee. The breakfast of champions!

ERJ-145CA

Dunkin Donuts or McD's for breakfast and coffee on the way to the mountain and coffee from DD, McD, or a rest stop on the way home.

On the way to Belleayre on Tuesday I was thrown for a loop when I discovered the DD on the way went out of business. I stopped at the Quick Chek and got the new skillet burrito that they have, it was good and very filling. Also their coffee is excellent.

ceo

Growing up, when we did day trips to Cannon we always stopped for gas on the way back at the "Shelly Deli" combination Shell station/delicatessen at the Rte. 3 exit (that was when I-93 ended there, before they extended it through the Notch). Nowadays I still stop there if I need gas (unlike my Subie, that big old Impala wagon *always* needed gas for the way back), even though it's now an Irving station with no deli.

Benjamin (6) and I early on developed a tradition of a beer (for me) and hot chocolate (for him) in the base lodge after skiing. We stop at Dunkie's on the way up if we have time; annoyingly our lovely local coffee shop that actually has decent coffee isn't open that early.

Cannonball

Growing up, when we did day trips to Cannon we always stopped for gas on the way back at the "Shelly Deli" combination Shell station/delicatessen at the Rte. 3 exit

If the guy ever pays his taxes you can relive your old tradition. Until then it's red bags on the gas pumps.

ts01

To/from Belleayre or Plattekill: Pineview Bakery in Shokan (http://catskills.citysearch.com/profile/7602550/shokan_ny/pine_view_bakery.html#profileTab-maps). It's about 10 or 15 minutes from the thruway. The routine is call ahead when exiting the thruway to order bacon-egg-cheese etc. sandwiches, and they're ready when you get there; grab the most excellent and unnecessary pastries you could ask for; and feast the rest of the way down route 28. As someone posted above, Dunkin Donuts is for p*ssing -- Pineview is for EATING. Highly recommended.

mlkrgr

Depends on where I'm going to and from but two places have me hooked.

North Conway to Bretton Woods: White Mountain Cider Company in Bartlett. Great coffee, sandwiches, and donuts made every day on the premises.

North Conway to Sunday River: J Town Deli in Jackson. Also excellent coffee and breakfast menu.

Both places will make you a lunch sandwich even first thing in the morning (save for a ski break). Highly recommended.

Usually, I do the bus, so its a deli sandwich for me for lunch on the lifts and then another shortly after the bus leaves at 4:30. And of course the bus goes straight there and straight back, but there is at least 1 movie shown; most times 2. If its a midweek bus, there's then a stop at a bar (usually Grist Mill for Killington or Red Fox Inn for Stratton) and I'll have a beer then and then much on the free apps they put out for the group.

I mostly go to Wildcat when I drive because its about the only place not bus served that I really want to go to that bad and IDK, I seem to stop a lot at Hannafords and grab a drink or a snack or something there. Staying 1 night at the North Conway Grand is what I do and I have there breakfast for $11 the day after. And then we also stop at Bagels Plus for a snack later on the way to the lifts (usually we have them at the end of the day and they are closed on the way back). Usually, a Starbucks stop and a Hannaford stop is in the cards for dinner (their sushi bar is convenient like fast food but much healthier) when I drive.

x10003q

When I was a youngster we used to ski Killington 3-4 weekends a year. There were 4 kids plus my parents jammed into a Buick estate wagon. The way home from Killington to NJ took us to the town of Queensbury in NYS just before we got on the Northway south. There was a huge log style place called the Red Coach Grill (Coachman) right across from the Great Escape Amusement Park. They had a great salad bar. But the real kicker was kids ate free (later it went to 2.99) on Sunday night. My brother and I rarely got enough to eat at a restaurant, but the unlimited salad bar, burger and fries always filled us up.This was a real treat for my parents. I continued to eat at the place (40 years later) until it was changed over to a Johnny Rockets.

The other place I have stopped at over the years is Ted's Fish Fry in Latham, NY. That has been a regular stop coming out of Troy, NY on the way to Stratton or Mt Snow. It is not as healthy as the Coachman was, but it still remains tasty to this day.

MommaBear

McDonalds in Greenfield for sundaes on the way up Friday night. Valeros and McDonalds in Greenfield for gas and sundaes on the way home Sunday night.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
My brother and I rarely got enough to eat at a restaurant, but the unlimited salad bar, burger and fries always filled us up.

I'm probably spoiled now but growing up I was never allowd to get dessert, appetizers, or any drink other than water at restaurants. My dad was real strict like that on the $$ front, haha. I guess it worked since we got to go on awesome ski trips all the time. :beer:

Glenn

McDonalds in Greenfield for sundaes on the way up Friday night. Valeros and McDonalds in Greenfield for gas and sundaes on the way home Sunday night.

I heard that's one of busiest McDonald's around. I couldn't find anything to back that up though. They certainly do a good amount of business. It's always busy.

ChileMass

We always stop at the Red Parka Pub in Glen after Wildcat, Attitash, or hiking. Great beers, great wings, terrific people, the occasional good band.....what else could you want?

dmc

An old tradition when we used to do a house at Killington was -

After we go over the Northway "Twin Bridges" or the "Dolly Parton Bridge"..
We'd say "Remember - Whatever happens north of the Dolly Parton bridge - stays there"

2sons

Harpoon Brewery in Windsor Vt. going up and coming back from N.Vt. Nothing like a couple of Imperial I.P.A's to break up the trip!

2knees

Spring bumps at k and Curtis BBQ in Putney on the way home. havent done it in years, but that used to be a given. probably cause K closes about when Curtis' opens now.

although, i think they have a restaurant in Chester, at least i noticed the van the last time i went by.