• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Tremblant Gondola Accident

Damaging the cabins but not the rope would indicate to me that timing was indeed everything in regards to clearance.

BodeMiller1

You buried the lead. The equipment was being used for Tremblant’s snowmaking upgrade. Investigators were quite critical of Tremblant. Not good.
What a senseless waste of life. Not everyone was on the same page, It's important not to have things run into each other.

Not good.☠️

kbroderick

The policy stuff generally makes sense, and clearly it's a tragic situation that likely could and should have been avoided with better procedures in place, but;

He also instructed the resort operator to "ensure that all accesses to the mountain are controlled and that the barriers cannot be bypassed by construction machinery."

I don't know Tremblant, but the larger US resorts I'm familiar with, that's a damned big ask. Gating primary accesses would be plausible (but probably a PITA for the resorts, or they'd have done it already); controlling all accesses in a manner that can't be bypassed by construction machinery is nearly impossible at a place like Killington, Sunday River, or anywhere else that sprawls across a bunch of terrain and has a significant number of ski on/off access points.

thetrailboss

Staff member
The policy stuff generally makes sense, and clearly it's a tragic situation that likely could and should have been avoided with better procedures in place, but;

I don't know Tremblant, but the larger US resorts I'm familiar with, that's a damned big ask. Gating primary accesses would be plausible (but probably a PITA for the resorts, or they'd have done it already); controlling all accesses in a manner that can't be bypassed by construction machinery is nearly impossible at a place like Killington, Sunday River, or anywhere else that sprawls across a bunch of terrain and has a significant number of ski on/off access points.
I'm not familiar with Tremblant's layout, but I would think that using ski patrol rope and a "CLOSED" placard across access points under an operating lift would be sufficient.

I know that some thought initially that this construction work was NOT related to Tremblant and that might be an issue. Unfortunately, that is not the case.

drjeff

I'm not familiar with Tremblant's layout, but I would think that using ski patrol rope and a "CLOSED" placard across access points under an operating lift would be sufficient.

I know that some thought initially that this construction work was NOT related to Tremblant and that might be an issue. Unfortunately, that is not the case.
Having stood in many a start house and sat in many a finish timing shack as an alpine official, you'd be shocked at how often folks totally ignore patrol or mountain staff close out ropes and signage. Guessing the same applies to non ski season signage as well.

Work site safety is an important thing, and when you have employees and/or hired outside contractors not paying attention to the predetermined safety protocols, regardless of how over the top they may seem, bad things can happen

thetrailboss

Staff member
Work site safety is an important thing, and when you have employees and/or hired outside contractors not paying attention to the predetermined safety protocols, regardless of how over the top they may seem, bad things can happen
I think you missed the point—Tremblant did not have any safety protocols to prevent this.

cdskier

I think you missed the point—Tremblant did not have any safety protocols to prevent this.

That's probably not as uncommon as you seem to think it is. I bet there are other resorts that don't have written procedures for the movement of oversize vehicles at the resort. Actually a bit of a shame that it needs to be written in the first place as a lot of this is common sense. The lack of a comprehensive policy on the Tremblant side should not negate the negligence by the operator of the equipment either. Definitely a lot of blame to go around here...