• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Trip Report Bolton Valley 3-8-2012

lou12572

Ski Area: Bolton Valley
Date: March 8, 2012
Conditions: Spring
Got to area @ about 8:30 am with my son. Had spotty sun for a bit than it cleared up nicley for 2 + hours:razz:. Snow was nice and soft with no icey spot at all.:spread: What a difference after 2 weeks though. :-( Wilderness area was not open but rest of mountain was. Looked like the base was holding up well on snow making trails and even on some of the trails without snow makeing. There were bare spots but not bad considering. I was worried about the wind though, at the top where wind turbine is is was howling pretty good. Thought they might shutdown or hold off some,:idea: but no need to worry. Hit a couple of glade trails and the snow was still good and good cover.:smile: Around 12:30 started to cloud up and getting thicker. :cry: Off to the west you could see the Adirondaks not so after 12:30. Storm was definatley comming, sadly not cold enough for snow (56 degrees at base). About 2 pm the dreded rain :-(came not heavy at the time. Son was getting wet from it since he was just using sweat shirt so we called it quits at 2:30. Headed home and hit some heavy rain in killington area as well as fog. If it didnt rain too hard should hold up well.
I think spring skiing will be short though. We plan on hitting Windham on sunday as they still have a good base left and sunday should be a nice day.

podunk77

I'd be curious to hear how much more time you think each place (Bolton and Windham) have before closing. I've got 2 PriceChopper vouchers left and those two places, along with Jiminy Peak, seem the only viable options remaining.

lou12572

podunk 77
skied half day at windham yesterday, spring conditions prevail. snow coverage i thought was good. windham is about an hour from me and temp this morning was 32 degrees at my place. i'd guess that they were a bit colder, thus snow should stay longer. daytime there will probably be in 40's or 50's all week. forcast by me indicates 60's and as hi as low 70's this week. windham has good coverage should be good this week and maybe next week if weather stays about the same. as far a bolton valley goes they should be good for a couple weeks and maybe to end of month in my opinion. from what i saw last friday the trails with snow making had a real good base still. even some that didnt still had good depth. also on some of the non snow making trails there were bare spots and for the most part were not open last friday. (maybe saving for weekend crowd). i will know more after this friday as i plan on going to either bolton valley ot mt. ellen as they are offering 17$ ticket for st patricks day. also i have 2 passes for magic and will probably go there on saturday. as far as jimney peak goes i go past it on the way up to vermont on rte 22 in new york. you can see some of it during the day and a lot of night skiing lights at night. from what i can tell from that distance is the trails are still covered while all around is brown. if you have the passes you indicated and you want to go to all 3 my order
would be jimney some time this week, preferably during the week as most of the week is supposed to be nice. windham this weekend or early next week and bolton valley later in the week or the weekend of 24th or 25th. windham and jimney pretty much same lattitude or is it longitude. so either or would be good this week imo. bolton later on. all contingent upon weather. hope this helps
lou c