• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

trip to sugarloaf

gladerider

looking to visit sugarloaf for the 1st time ever in 2 weeks and wondering if i should go.
been checking the mountain cam in the last few days and the conditions look sub par. thin base? i guess this warm pattern is not helping them.

wondering if any local can help assess the conditions. worth driving up 8 hours? thanks.

Edd

Not a local but been many times. Not enough terrain to make it worthwhile, IMO. It’s worth it to wait for better coverage.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Save the trip for Mid February to Mid April. That's when the Loaf shines typically. A lot of their trees require a very deep base to be in play.

Just be prepared for potential wind holds no matter when you go. They have the worst issues with wind by any mountain in New England by far.
If there is one mountain that should be a last minute call in New England, the Loaf is it. Unfortunately it's also one of the most difficult to get to, so most people need advanced planning to get there.

Do yourself a favor and do not waste a trip up there without grabbing a day at Saddleback as well. You will not regret it.

2Planker

Hell, I'd probably just skip the Loaf and go for a week+ at Saddleback. March would be my pick

gladerider

took the advice and went to sugarbush instead. thanks for the input guys.

Any recent reports from up there? Heading up late this weekend for 5 days and hoping for some decent skiing and additional terrain.

Sorry....Loaf. I used to be a Sugarbush homer for 30 years, but sold our place a few years ago so now free wheeling wherever and whenever.

Have next week locked in due to a ski club trip so I'm going regardless of the conditions, but was looking for some recent intel.

Thanks.