• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Tuckerman Accidents

hammer

The AMC center at Pinkham Notch was packed last Saturday March 12th. Early start to the season at Tuckerman this year?

Funky_Catskills

depressing... I went every year for like 15... Haven't been for a few years..
Not going this year thats for sure.. :(

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
Dang. That's so awful. I hope he has as speedy and complete of a recovery as possible.

Such a fickle place to be so many dangers , Sun turning to shadow and Ice in a short time .2011 had a late start up Right Gully most of the climb was soft till the shadows came . There was a group of 3 boarders behind us by 20 mins. We heard one was badly injured.

Cannonball

The risks are real. I've helped carry a litter down for a guy in screaming pain with a broken shoulder. I narrowly side-stepped an avalanche then helped extract the guy who caused it. I've bailed on skiing several times after the long hike up there.

But the fun is real too. I've skied it with only tiny patches of snow and totally worth the sweaty hike. I've skied it in dense fog when you felt totally alone. I've been there many times for the Son of Inferno when it's fun just to cheer on the racers. I've given Glenn Plake directions when he didn't know which way was 'up' at Hojos.

A lot of people are unprepared. And that's scary. But it's somewhat comforting too, if you attribute the tragedy percentages to that failure. But the prepared people get hurt too (like in this week's stories). It's always a wake up call and a reminder.

Last edited:

〽❄❅

Safety tip -

Dress totally old school all in Wool outer layers. Synthetic fabric shells and pants in a fall on hard icy snow will turn you into a human missile!

Breeze

Couple notes:

Saturday was a meeting/banquet for SAR at PNVC. There were ample volunteers there to get the rescues done.

The Helo was DHART medevac , landed in front of Hojo's. That's about a 10 G airlift.