• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

United airlines

djd66

Great Sand Dunes National Park. It's in the San Luis Valley, about 4 hours southwest of Denver. Fascinating place, 30 square miles of dunes deposited in a corner of the valley up against 14,000' mountains. Dunes have a vertical rise of 750'. In May a warm, shallow creek/spring flows beside the base of the dunes. It's like the beach, except 1000 miles from the nearest ocean.

View attachment 63017View attachment 63018
can you ski on them?

jimk

can you ski on them?
Yes. I had to google it, but yes nordic & alpine skiing, and snowboarding are allowed in winter. As you can see by my first photo, in summer a lot of people take "sandboards" up to use on the dunes.
Here's a photo I grabbed off the internet of snowboarding in winter.
great sand dunes snowboard.jpg

abc

Yes. I had to google it, but yes nordic & alpine skiing, and snowboarding are allowed in winter. As you can see by my first photo, in summer a lot of people take "sandboards" up to use on the dunes.
Here's a photo I grabbed off the internet of snowboarding in winter.
View attachment 63020
“Allowed”, if you’re really lucky.

As you can see, the snow cover was spotty. And that’s when it got snow at all.

I was there in one winter, after skiing Taos, heading back to Denver. (Part of my trip report on the year I went ski bumming) I was hiking in shorts. Though towards the top, I had to put the zipped off pants legs back on and add a thin jacket. Skiing? Maybe for 10 yards.

There may have been nordic skiing back in the 50’s. Or 70’s? But I doubt there’s much snow accumulation on the flat land below the summit nowadays.

2planks2coasts

JK, but I'm too lazy not to fly a fully integrated avionics suite these days.
Lol... No glass cockpit here. We have a few 45's as well. They're still 20+ years old, but the difference is night & day. More room for ski gear too. 😁

To the thread topic. My wife has the absolute worst luck when flying United. I've tried to explain that weather events and such affect all carriers. She's not buying it. I talked her into letting me book her on EWR-MHT (express ops by GoJet) today. Of course it was delayed two hours. I've now been informed that should I wish to remain happily married, I will never suggest she fly United again.

machski

Lol... No glass cockpit here. We have a few 45's as well. They're still 20+ years old, but the difference is night & day. More room for ski gear too. 😁

To the thread topic. My wife has the absolute worst luck when flying United. I've tried to explain that weather events and such affect all carriers. She's not buying it. I talked her into letting me book her on EWR-MHT (express ops by GoJet) today. Of course it was delayed two hours. I've now been informed that should I wish to remain happily married, I will never suggest she fly United again.
I have the same issues with UAL threw EWR. That airport in and of itself is a disaster. Then United makes it worse trying to shove the schedule they have into that joint. I recall oh about 8 years ago or so, they made a conscious effort to push traffic away from EWR (when MHT lost that, they gave us IAD flights). Honestly thought that ran so much better. Now it's just EWR again from MHT and I avoid them like the plague. Company used them EWR-BOS for me end of last tour, scored me a big payday when UAL melted down Saturday night!!

2planks2coasts

I have the same issues with UAL threw EWR. That airport in and of itself is a disaster. Then United makes it worse trying to shove the schedule they have into that joint. I recall oh about 8 years ago or so, they made a conscious effort to push traffic away from EWR (when MHT lost that, they gave us IAD flights). Honestly thought that ran so much better. Now it's just EWR again from MHT and I avoid them like the plague. Company used them EWR-BOS for me end of last tour, scored me a big payday when UAL mel
We finally got my employer to let us book our own commercial flights to/from the aircraft each tour. When dispatch booked them, they were always some awful combination of crappy times and long layovers. Your plane is in DAL, but you're in SFO.....let's book you a connection in ATL!

I only have lowly silver status on UA as a perk of my Marriott Status, but it beats a poke in the eye for boarding group and seat selection. I'm personally loyal to Delta as they have a massive network from BOS. Looks like this tour is going to end in BED anyway though, so I'll just take the coach home to NH.