• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

United airlines

abc

I am the riff raff!
I’m the riff raff who still insists on getting a window seat at the time of booking! 🤣

No standing in lines and hope with fingers crossed to have a desired seat.

SW isn’t cheaper than any of the other airlines. So why pay the same and get less?

Smellytele

I’m the riff raff who still insists on getting a window seat at the time of booking! 🤣

No standing in lines and hope with fingers crossed to have a desired seat.

SW isn’t cheaper than any of the other airlines. So why pay the same and get less?
when flying with skis and even just any checked luggage SW can be a lot cheaper.
I am an aisle seat guy. Never flown SW and not gotten an aisle seat and never passed the middle of the plane.

Hawk

I have to be honest, my wife flew to Seatle one week a month for 10 plus years for Microsoft. Her miles were insane when she moved on. I don't pay for the upgrade but is it nice to board early, no issues with carry on space, ski bags for free and less BS. Since we have been going to Europe alot is has been BA and Swiss air direct or through heathrow. They both are exceptional.

Smellytele

I have to be honest, my wife flew to Seatle one week a month for 10 plus years for Microsoft. Her miles were insane when she moved on. I don't pay for the upgrade but is it nice to board early, no issues with carry on space, ski bags for free and less BS. Since we have been going to Europe alot is has been BA and Swiss air direct or through heathrow. They both are exceptional.
Only flew Swiss air once to Geneva and it wasn't a great experience. The cabin lights did not work once over the Atlantic and they couldn't figure it out. A little sketchy being totally in the dark for just about the whole flight.

Hawk

You must have bad luck. They are one of the top rated airlines. The three times I flew with them they were just about perfect.

Smellytele

You must have bad luck. They are one of the top rated airlines. The three times I flew with them they were just about perfect.
Flying in general just sux. It can happen on any airline. Sometimes you’re the bat, sometimes you’re the ball. Love going places hate the actual travel. Can’t wait until I can be beamed places.😀
As long as there are no flies in the machine.

2planks2coasts

I'd take that charter over business class anyday. Machski will be the pilot.
Lol...just having fun. You wouldn't want to ride in that one. It's a clapped out 40 year old lear that's been converted to an ambulance. It's cramped and noisy but it gets the job done. It does have a lie flat seat though...okay, it's a stretcher.

It takes me to a lot of ski places though. This past season included ski days in CO, UT, WA and even SD.

2Planker

When skiing in Eurpoe I recc Luftansa or Swiss Air BOTH have always been excellent :)

jimk

Flying in general just sux. It can happen on any airline. Sometimes you’re the bat, sometimes you’re the ball. Love going places hate the actual travel. Can’t wait until I can be beamed places.😀
As long as there are no flies in the machine.
the fly.jpg

Being retired, I really enjoy having the time to drive to most places I want to go these days. From a cross country drive last month.
double arch 13 may 2024.jpg

crosstrek colorado national monument.jpg

companion and chimney rocks.jpg

monastery.jpg

sand surfers.jpg

Last edited:

BenedictGomez

Pretty sure my best and worst airlines based on quality/professionalism, etc... have all been European.

BEST: Aer Lingus & Virgin
WORST: RyanAir

abc

when flying with skis and even just any checked luggage SW can be a lot cheaper.
I am an aisle seat guy. Never flown SW and not gotten an aisle seat and never passed the middle of the plane.
Maybe a little cheaper. Maybe not. But rarely “a lot cheaper” in total cost.

I don’t bother checking their prices any more (except flying to Reno, which is the SW hub). They don’t have half as many flights as say, United to most other destinations. When weather happens, I have a much better chance on alternative flights with the “majors” than with airlines with only 1 or 2 flights a day (let alone 1 flights every 3 days in some case).

Getting an assigned seat ahead of time is more a side benefit on top of the “real” reason I fly the big boys.

Depends on where one’s home airports are, the experience with the same airline can differ like night and day!

Smellytele

Maybe a little cheaper. Maybe not. But rarely “a lot cheaper” in total cost.

I don’t bother checking their prices any more (except flying to Reno, which is the SW hub). They don’t have half as many flights as say, United to most other destinations. When weather happens, I have a much better chance on alternative flights with the “majors” than with airlines with only 1 or 2 flights a day (let alone 1 flights every 3 days in some case).

Getting an assigned seat ahead of time is more a side benefit on top of the “real” reason I fly the big boys.

Depends on where one’s home airports are, the experience with the same airline can differ like night and day!
Just looked at a random trip Bos-BZN I am thinking about 2/5-16.
586 (cheapest morning flight) with 2 checked bags and assigned seats ahead of time on American
430 on SW with 2 checked bags.
156 will be nice going toward a day of skiing

jimk

Where are the dunes in that last photo?
Great Sand Dunes National Park. It's in the San Luis Valley, about 4 hours southwest of Denver. Fascinating place, 30 square miles of dunes deposited in a corner of the valley up against 14,000' mountains. Dunes have a vertical rise of 750'. In May a warm, shallow creek/spring flows beside the base of the dunes. It's like the beach, except 1000 miles from the nearest ocean.

sand dunes creek guy.jpgsand dunes far.jpg