• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Vacation to Phoenix

xwhaler

Heading to Phoenix for a week with my wife and son. (1st wk of November)
Have a friend from college we'll be staying with for most/all of the time and he knows the area well.
Beyond what he recommends we do I wonder if anyone here has any tips.
My son will be 21 mos at the time so we can;t do any crazy hiking but we'll have our Kelty kids carrier and would love to do some exploring.
Will play golf a couple times (likely just 9 holes each time) and possibly take an night or 2 on our own to do a longer distance drive.
Will do the Grand Canyon and probably check out Sedona/Scottsdale.

Any must sees/good eats/good stuff for family?

ScottySkis

I was their in 2000 for a day,Phonexi was kind of sketchy. Really liked Scottsdale . VEry modern nice middle and upper class area. Have fun times I wish I could remember the name of really great restraunt we ate at. I ask my cousin who was with me when I see him later.

wa-loaf

I haven't been there in years, but Camelback is nice hike right in town. There's a couple other hikes right in or near the city.

LonghornSkier

I haven't been there in years, but Camelback is nice hike right in town. There's a couple other hikes right in or near the city.
Camelback is a very nice hike.. There are two sides to go from, Echo Canyon and Cholla Heights. The Echo Canyon side is the more popular, but involves a lot of hiking on rock with railings. The Cholla Heights trail is easier, and a tad longer. However, I am of the belief that you have to do the Echo Canyon side to do it "right". The kid would definitely be OK in a backpack. There is also the Piestewa Peak area in Phoenix which is a decent short hike. There are bigger mountains north of Cave Creek that rise to about 6000 feet but I've never hiked in those. For food, I think Sunday brunch at the Camelback Inn is great, although pricey. I also like the Teepee for Mexican, it's kind of a Phoenix landmark with a bunch of president's having eaten there and such. Down near Tucson is the Saguaro National Park... It's pretty, but I'm not sure I'd go if you're already going to Sedona and the Grand Canyon. On November 1st, ASU plays Utah at home, and on the 8th, Notre Dame at home, so if you like College Football, that could be fun. Arizona State will be one of the best teams in the Pac-12 this year. That's all I've got for now!

xwhaler

Awesome. Not a big college football fan but we may check out a coyotes game if they are home.
Great suggestions LH skier

caddis

Definitely recommend Oak Creek Canyon near Sedona. Sedona is a must see and Oak creek has some great hiking. I personally like the West Fork trail in Oak Creek but there are many others. Be sure to check on closures because of a recent wildfire they may be closed.
You might be a little late for Fall Foliage but some nice trails in the Peaks near Flagstaff. If you plan on going to the Grand Canyon and you most certainly should, you can incorporate Sedona, Flagstaff, and Grand Canyon into a nice multi-day trip.
Other places on your radar should be Jerome and Mingus Mountain. Jerome is a really cool mining town and the Spirit room is a nice stop for a cold beverage as well an occasional watering hole for Bob Weir. Mingus Mountain has some nice hikes and you can drive over to Prescott. Prescott has some great trails and a nice downtown Whiskey Row. Thumb Butte and Granite Mountain are some good hikes.
Grand Canyon of course has the Bright Angel Trail and the Kaibab Trail. Both offer great views and a chance to get a feel of what it’s like to hike into the inner canyon. You can always hike down a little ways and turn around. I lived at Grand Canyon for a while and one of my favorite viewpoints is Shoshone which is a nice 20 min. hike though a Ponderosa forest and at the end it won’t disappoint. Tip: please watch the kid.
I also second the Coyotes. Tickets can sometimes be purchased the day of but to be sure I would buy in advance. The Gila River Club is worth the extra 10 bucks or so. Maybe you wil get lucky and the B's will be in town.
I grew up in the Upper Valley which I see from your resume you are familiar with and have lived in Northern AZ for a few years. I’ve got plenty of other ideas if you want. November is a great time to visit Phoenix should be dry and plenty warm enough for ya. I'm not much of a desert rat so I prefer Northern AZ and it surprised me when I moved here that theres actually a forest in Arizona.