• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Vail Resorts acquires Kirkwood

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Vail Resorts buys Kirkwood

http://www.summitdaily.com/article/20120222/NEWS/120229960/1078&ParentProfile=1055

BROOMFIELD, Colo. — Vail Resorts, Inc. today announced that it has entered into an agreement to acquire Kirkwood Mountain Resort at Lake Tahoe, Calif., recognized by skiers and snowboarders as offering some of the best high alpine advanced terrain in North America. Vail Resorts is purchasing the ski resort as well as the undeveloped sites at the center of the base area which are zoned for residential and commercial development for a purchase price of approximately $18.0 million. The seller will retain a participation interest in the base area parcels and will continue to own the remainder of the real estate development sites. Following the acquisition, Vail Resorts will now operate three world-class mountain resorts in the Lake Tahoe region which between them offer the entire breadth of the skiing and riding experience, including Heavenly Mountain Resort in South Lake Tahoe, Northstar California on the north shore and Kirkwood Mountain Resort.

Ski Stef / VDK - time for another road trip??

As of today, Epic Pass and Epic Local Pass holders will have unrestricted access to ski and ride Kirkwood.

snoseek

Any reason I had to stay in Tahoe just evaporated.

With that said the Epicpass just gained a whole lot more cred points. Vail reorts needed a place like Kirkwood but I'm not so sure Kirkwood needs a place Like Vail Resorts. I carry passes to both so I could essentially throw one in the trash can...

ski stef

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Interesting! Thanks for the heads up..Would be a fun trip to head that way and hit those mountains

2knees

Any reason I had to stay in Tahoe just evaporated.

With that said the Epicpass just gained a whole lot more cred points. Vail reorts needed a place like Kirkwood but I'm not so sure Kirkwood needs a place Like Vail Resorts. I carry passes to both so I could essentially throw one in the trash can...

Are you saying this because Vail needed something with more teeth in their portfolio? I've skied kirkwood but not vail. Only thing I can say about kirkwood is there is alot of stuff there i wouldnt even think about attempting.

snoseek

Are you saying this because Vail needed something with more teeth in their portfolio? I've skied kirkwood but not vail. Only thing I can say about kirkwood is there is alot of stuff there i wouldnt even think about attempting.

Yeah Vail/BC/Breck/Heavenly are all a good time but Kirkwood is in a different league than any of their resorts as far as chutes/shit to jump off ect....and its the kind of terrain that pushes you to ski stuff a little steeper. Keystone doesn't have that effect on me:spin:

deadheadskier

Staff member
Doesn't Kirkwood have utility issues (water/electricity) that really limits the amount of development they can do without improving that infrastructure? Thought I read that somewhere.

Perhaps that was the reason for the sale and the cheap price. Maybe the former Kirkwood owners didn't have the capital to improve infrastructure like Vail would be capable of.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Maybe Vail is eating some debt as well.

Hell if I would've won the powerball, I could've bought Kirkwood then the AZ summit could've been there!

That must be part of the deal. I just looked at the trail map since I only know of its reputation but nothing specific. Two HSQ's and a lot of great terrain.

AdironRider

Doesn't Kirkwood have utility issues (water/electricity) that really limits the amount of development they can do without improving that infrastructure? Thought I read that somewhere.

Perhaps that was the reason for the sale and the cheap price. Maybe the former Kirkwood owners didn't have the capital to improve infrastructure like Vail would be capable of.

This is why its so cheap. Every ounce of power is from a generator. No utilities are run that a ways.

vdk03

Vail resorts are making moves, even more of reason for another road trip. I also heard that Vail tried to make a move on Copper this year, but got shut down. Building quite the monopoly.

snoseek

At the same time good things could come out of this. Kirkwood has some infrastructure issues along with the power issue as mentioned. There is tremendous potential with this mountain....also they get a LOT of snow (not so much this year) and with that Vail could carve out a real player in the Tahoe market.

Where do i go to get away from vail resorts for the remainder of the season? I wish i picked up a sierra pass now!!!