• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Vail To Buy Whistler Blackomb

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Wow. That's insane. Good fit in Vail's portfolio. I'm sure they wanted to get in the Canadian market while their dollar was weak and American tourists were visiting WB instead of Vail.

Vail owns the three largest resorts in North America, yes? Whistler, Park City, and Vail?

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
I really hope they continue WB's Renaissance. Anyone who's looked at their master plan probably drooled over it like I did. Vail has never been conservative in their construction at new resorts, let's hope this case is the same.

drjeff

Just gotta get Vail resorts into the Eastern market now and that would truly be an Epic Pass!!

steamboat1

Wow. Another resort off the Mountain Collective list. :(
Not this year but next.

Season Passes
For the full 2016-17 winter season, Whistler Blackcomb will continue to honor the resort's existing season pass products. Vail Resorts looks forward to integrating Whistler Blackcomb into its Epic Season Pass and other season pass products for the 2017-18 winter season.

Jully

Wow. Another resort off the Mountain Collective list. :(

With the loss of Whistler the Mountain Collective might have to change something up next year. I personally feel like that was one of the biggest draws of the pass.

slatham

And here I thought the purchase of Magic would be the big news this summer! The big keep getting bigger. I will note the lack of an Eastern Mountain in their stable......

skiNEwhere

Never been, but I've heard that whistler gets really crowded as it is. Wonder how much more this will increase crowds

skiNEwhere

I just called VR to see if you would have to get the full epic pass to ski whistler, they said it didn't look like the mtn would be on the pass for the 16/17 season, and might start the season afterwords, but she sounded unsure so take that with a grain of salt

sull1102

How long until Vail buys up Loon, Stratton, or one of the other top players in the East? Money seems to be no issue.

snoseek

They've got to do something with all that extra money they save by paying shit wages i guess.

Sent from my LG-H345 using Tapatalk

BenedictGomez

I just called VR to see if you would have to get the full epic pass to ski whistler, they said it didn't look like the mtn would be on the pass for the 16/17 season, and might start the season afterwords, but she sounded unsure so take that with a grain of salt

This was already announced this morning. Next year.

BenedictGomez

How long until Vail buys up Loon, Stratton, or one of the other top players in the East? Money seems to be no issue.

Huge moves like this in an industry tend to spur on the competition to increase acquisitions.

SKIS has no ammunition left, but don't be shocked if you see SNOW etc... make a move in the next six months.

drjeff

My hunch, since Vail hasn't gotten into the Eastern market yet, is that they feel like their customer demographics already show that they have ample customers from the East Coast market so they don't have to entice people from the East Coast to come to one of their Western or international resorts.

jimk

This kind of reminds me of the old Twilight Zone episode, To Serve Man. A bunch of giant aliens showed up and said their only goal was to serve man. They even offered cheap tours to their beautiful home planet. All the Earthlings went crazy for the persuasive new aliens until they learned halfway through the space flight that the aliens were planning to eat them alive. :lol:

I've had an EpicPass the last two seasons, so until the Spaceship shows up...bring on Whistler-Blackcomb! :daffy: