• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Vermont Skier Visits Down Significantly Due to COVID-19

jimmywilson69

As the ski season winds down, not just across the East, but across the entire country, I think it's fair to say that the fears that many had that ski resorts would become COVID super spreader hot spots, just wasn't the case. And the sport in general seemed to show that outdoor activities could be safely done, with some relatively minor things like mask wearing and use of social distancing. And that's a great thing for the industry

completely agree. One of the only things that has seemed to go correctly with this mess in the US. Sure there are things that could've been done differently with ski season Looking at you VT, but for the most part the season happened, a lot of places were very busy including places that weren't on Megapasses and that is good for the industry.

cdskier

Somebody PM'd me (a Killy passholder) and told me that if I've had covid (I have) I am within VT rules to go.

If I remember correctly, you had it back in December. Technically you're past the window then for what VT allows if that's right (or even if it was January you're just getting past the window). Here's VT's rule:

"People who have recovered from COVID-19 within the last 3 months do not need to test unless they develop new symptoms."

I have no idea what the basis for limiting it to 3 months is.

flakeydog

I am not a trained ophthalmologist or a former wrestling coach but I believe the conventional thinking is that vaccination > having COVID. I think "natural" immunity can vary quite a bit depending on the severity of your particular case and perhaps the variant you had. With the vaccine you get a targeted dose designed to produce a very specific response. It's kind of like natural snow vs snowmaking. Some years are better than others but if we make snow we know we will be skiing into late April/early May every time. This is a skiing forum, right?

cdskier

I am not a trained ophthalmologist or a former wrestling coach but I believe the conventional thinking is that vaccination > having COVID. I think "natural" immunity can vary quite a bit depending on the severity of your particular case and perhaps the variant you had. With the vaccine you get a targeted dose designed to produce a very specific response. It's kind of like natural snow vs snowmaking. Some years are better than others but if we make snow we know we will be skiing into late April/early May every time. This is a skiing forum, right?

That's all well and good, but if VT is going on the "science", then there are studies out there showing that people that have recovered from COVID retain natural immunity for at least 6 months. So what is the "3 month" window VT is using based on?

PAabe

I would think having covid would be as good if not better than vaccine depending on severity - they are basically the same thing from what I understand. Very few people have gotten it twice

Doesn't VT plan to remove all restrictions soon anyway?

Last edited:

thetrailboss

Staff member
As the ski season winds down, not just across the East, but across the entire country, I think it's fair to say that the fears that many had that ski resorts would become COVID super spreader hot spots, just wasn't the case. And the sport in general seemed to show that outdoor activities could be safely done, with some relatively minor things like mask wearing and use of social distancing. And that's a great thing for the industry
That is true. Also relatively few people making a big deal about wearing masks while in line or on the lift.

drjeff

I would think having covid would be as good if not better than vaccine depending on severity - they are basically the same thing from what I understand. Very very few people have gotten it twice

Doesn't VT plan to remove all restrictions soon anyway?
I believe Gov Scott announced last week that the plan, if things continue to trend well with overall new cases of Covid and the vaccination of more and more people, that the target is that by July 4th, VT will be fully reopened without restrictions on businesses and travel (short of maybe some indoor mask wearing in some businesses)

HowieT2

My understanding is the opposite. Not saying I'm correct, but I don't think that is conventional thinking. The vaccines produce an immune response. They are not 100% efficacious.

tumbler

Most importantly the highway signs are going to come down

Boxtop Willie

Wonder if I can get one of those signs to hang in my workshop?
Would make a lovely memento of 2020.

tumbler

Is there still one at the top of the Roxbury Gap or did someone take it down? I'd use the sign for target practice, like most of the other road signs in VT have been used for...

Last edited:

2Planker

True for the most pat BUT there were certainly Hot Spots like Whistler recently, and Sun Valley last year.
https://www.thedailybeast.com/canad...rgest-covid-19-variant-hotspot-outside-brazil

Good article about what happened in Austria last year - https://www.dw.com/en/austrias-ischgl-a-ski-resort-struggling-to-restore-its-image/a-56842089

Harvey

Website
nyskiblog.com
If I remember correctly, you had it back in December. Technically you're past the window then for what VT allows if that's right (or even if it was January you're just getting past the window). Here's VT's rule:

"People who have recovered from COVID-19 within the last 3 months do not need to test unless they develop new symptoms."

I came out of quarantine on Jan 10, so I guess I'm excluded. Have had one shot, second shot on May 5. I'm guessing I've got pretty good immunity. Not sure about variants though.

If VT doesn't want me to come I won't. Hell I'm still wearing a mask riding my bike.

cdskier

I came out of quarantine on Jan 10, so I guess I'm excluded. Have had one shot, second shot on May 5. I'm guessing I've got pretty good immunity. Not sure about variants though.

If VT doesn't want me to come I won't. Hell I'm still wearing a mask riding my bike.
F em. Go skiing it's safe and it sounds like you are being safe.

I'm inclined to agree. Not like anyone is going to check anyway... While many people applauded VT's "loosening" of their restrictions, they're still odd if you really look at them. (Maybe other states are still doing some weird things too. I'm admittedly not paying that much attention to other states).

BenedictGomez

Makes sense to me, and it's encouraging something regulatory about COVID19 makes sense for a change.

(((((Sigh)))))

I spoke too soon.

Last edited:

BenedictGomez

My understanding is the opposite. Not saying I'm correct, but I don't think that is conventional thinking. The vaccines produce an immune response. They are not 100% efficacious.

You're correct, he's wrong. Natural infection produces a powerful response a la the vaccine, and probably a bit better given vaccine reactions were worse in the natural COVID19 cohort than the shot cohort.

KustyTheKlown

i just picked up the rand paul and jim jordan reference after being puzzled yesterday about ophthalmology and wrestling, and you sir are hilarious. what a couple of dingus assholes those two are.