• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Vermont Skier Visits Down Significantly Due to COVID-19

PAabe

In my opinion covid has essentially become just another flu-like disease by this point, with a vax readily available to whoever wants it, and we are just going to have to deal with it like we have dealt with the flu the past 100 years. We get new flu strains every year, I dont see why we should expect the Rona will be any different.

Get a shot annually if you want to reduce the severity of covid when (not if) you get it.

Otherwise, let's get on with it or else the impending inflation/economic/mental/health/education/political/ issues are going to be that much worse. Not to mention we're not getting any younger now, going on 2 years of our lives invested in this deal. sunken cost fallacy/2 more weeks or something. That being said, I believe we accomplished what the goal was to achieve - the curve was flattened, hospitals are doing fine, vax is freely available to whoever wants it and 70% of people have it in them and a significant additional number of people have been inoculated the natural way, so to speak - so good job, let's get on with it!

And by all means if no more people here want to be inoculated, sell the vax to people overseas that do!

Last edited:

Tonyr

Can we finally lock this thread once and for all mods? The majority of us come here to read about skiing for heavens sake!!!!

BenedictGomez

Be curious when boosters become available and how they are approached. I got my second Moderna on March 4th. I'd be fine with getting a third jab today if there was benefit. Wonder if I would end up with a third Moderna or one of the others.

I was only able to get vaccinated in May because Jersey was a slow motion trainwreck with the vaccine, so I've got time, but I plan on getting the JNJ around November to add an adenovirus vaccine to the mRNA vaccine I have (PFE). That should, theoretically, provide a more diverse antibody estate, but obviously that's not approved or known to be true yet, and probably wont be for quite a while.

Harvey

Website
nyskiblog.com
sell the vax to people overseas that do!
I agree with this for first world countries, and China.

I also didn't get vaxed until May. I know people who were rushing, and working it, on multiple lists I just figured I'd wait my turn. Never really thought of it but maybe it is a slight advantage.

Also don't understand the request to lock the thread. I haven't read it all (not even close) but it seems pretty civilized. Reality is that any forum discussion of covid is going to have a political undertone. In our forum, as long as it stays beneath the surface, it's fine.

PAabe

And I mean donating it to developing countries would be pretty rad too. that can also be challenging logistically but we could certainly use the streed cred from doing so in the international scene

zyk

So to stir the pot a bit because I respect the thoughtful and reasonable nature of this thread. Just worked my first event in 2 years. 6000+ people. Who knows who was vaxxed or not. Some masked, most not. Hopefully I don't get covid.

Sorry I know its off topic but this has been a great thread for covid updates.

And hopefully we get 490 inches of snow next season.

KustyTheKlown

So to stir the pot a bit because I respect the thoughtful and reasonable nature of this thread. Just worked my first event in 2 years. 6000+ people. Who knows who was vaxxed or not. Some masked, most not. Hopefully I don't get covid.

Sorry I know its off topic but this has been a great thread for covid updates.

And hopefully we get 490 inches of snow next season.

are you a security guard at the Westville Music Bowl in New Haven, CT? Because I saw one wearing a Magic Mountain hat last weekend and gave him a big high five

dblskifanatic

2 thumbs up for reason and understanding

Ditto! There is also the underserved communities where vaccination rates are relatively low because many are afraid, do not have a means to get to a location, or are misinformed because they do not pay much attention to what is going on in the world or country. I live in and near near these types of communities and many live in a small circle.

flakeydog

I'll be attacked for saying so but sometimes the ultimate disaster (death) is not enough to convince people to take the vaccine. That's when we all have to say "you can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink".
Perhaps a better analogy is when the horse gets to the water source he just pisses in it. Wondering why all the other horses are mad, he shrugs and says "it's ok, I wasn't thirsty. This is America, and freedom. I can piss where ever i want. Now leave me alone while I go take a dump in the grain bin"

Edit: come to think of it, in my story it was not a horse, it was a jackass...

Reactions: zyk

zyk

are you a security guard at the Westville Music Bowl in New Haven, CT? Because I saw one wearing a Magic Mountain hat last weekend and gave him a big high five
Awesome but not me. Brewery Ommegang near Cooperstown NY. Bar design, setup, and management.

drjeff

That number is growing faster thanks to the new more transmissible variant.

Yup.

Look at India, where the Delta Variant originated (officially first noted in December of 2020). A country of 1.2 or so BILLION people where it's current fully vaccinated rate is just over 8%.

The Delta caused spike there started on Roughly March 10 of this year with a 7 day new daily case average of about 10k. It peak about 2 months later in Mid May with a 7 day new case average of just over 400k per day o_O About 2 months later (just about a month ago in Mid July) their curve flattend back out and has been in the roughly 40k new per day ever since. With less than half their population having received one dose, and less than 10% being fully vaccinated, the natural immunity route is certainly playing a roll for them.

And we can learn something from the Delta data out of India, it's that the current spike we are seeing from Delta will likely be similarly short lived as it was in India, and may even be shorter in the US given the vastly greater percentage of the population that was either fully vaccinated or partially vaccinated when the Delta spike began.

The data is frankly showing that if one either isn't vaccinated or hasn't had COVID and recovered that this Delta spike, is notable, should present some concern to those in that group who are older and/or have underlying risk factors. however if one is vaccinated or has had COVID and recovered, most people in that group don't have to worry about Delta, even if they get a breakthrough case. That is just what the data shows. And it seems like the mantra that we heard so often earlier in COVID, "trust the science" now isn't uttered very often as the science is quite clear what the risk (or lack of risk) of contracting or having symptoms severe enough to require hospitalization if one has antibodies, is very, very, very low

Even the data reported out of Massachusetts last week, which cited around 100 deaths from breakthrough cases (about 0.002%) of all vaccinated people in Massachusetts, it was pointed out that the average age of those who pass away from breakthrough cases was 82.5 and that other underlying conditions were present.

kbroderick

The data is frankly showing that if one either isn't vaccinated or hasn't had COVID and recovered that this Delta spike, is notable, should present some concern to those in that group who are older and/or have underlying risk factors. however if one is vaccinated or has had COVID and recovered, most people in that group don't have to worry about Delta, even if they get a breakthrough case. That is just what the data shows. And it seems like the mantra that we heard so often earlier in COVID, "trust the science" now isn't uttered very often as the science is quite clear what the risk (or lack of risk) of contracting or having symptoms severe enough to require hospitalization if one has antibodies, is very, very, very low

Even the data reported out of Massachusetts last week, which cited around 100 deaths from breakthrough cases (about 0.002%) of all vaccinated people in Massachusetts, it was pointed out that the average age of those who pass away from breakthrough cases was 82.5 and that other underlying conditions were present.

I'd seen an article previously suggesting that natural immunity to Delta required a Delta infection, and that the natural immunity acquired from other variants (and, specifically, earlier ones) did not necessarily translate to natural immunity against Delta. Have you seen any further data on that? That, to me, was a scary suggestion from a "I'd like to get back to normal" standpoint, given that the (presumed) substantial overlap between prior infections and those who have no intention of getting vaccinated.

drjeff

I'd seen an article previously suggesting that natural immunity to Delta required a Delta infection, and that the natural immunity acquired from other variants (and, specifically, earlier ones) did not necessarily translate to natural immunity against Delta. Have you seen any further data on that? That, to me, was a scary suggestion from a "I'd like to get back to normal" standpoint, given that the (presumed) substantial overlap between prior infections and those who have no intention of getting vaccinated.

I am not aware of any non delta antbodies vs delta infection studies (probably a few months away for the analysis to occur) and frankly in the US, it's tough to figure out the difference between vaccine induced antobodies and naturally induced antibodies and even the hybrid vaccine and naturally induced antibodies and what their rate of Delta infection and/or severity of infection is.

This is certainly a disease process that has far more variables than constants!

BenedictGomez

The variants are morphologically similar enough that there is almost surely some level of cross-immunogenicity, so while you might not be immune & can get sick, you will likely be substantially protected. This is the concept that sadly so many millions of people do not understand when they refuse to get the flu shot each year because, "they often get the strains wrong". They're missing the point entirely = another failing of the American public school system.