• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Vermont Skier Visits Down Significantly Due to COVID-19

VTKilarney

I had dinner in London’s Chinatown on February 28th, 2020. Probably not the best decision in hindsight, but wasn’t it racist to objectively acknowledge where the disease came from? I seem to recall that it was DEFINITELY racist to ponder if COVID-19 leaked from the Wuhan lab. For some reason that stopped being racist starting in January of this year.

BenedictGomez

Fair enough, but people also have to realize that any conflicting statements regarding the effectiveness of mask were not "lies" (as you called them) but rather was the best guidance available based on the information they had

Oh, honey, no, please brace yourself for this, but they really were lies.

BenedictGomez

Why would anyone listen to him when we know we could just take Hydroxychloroquine or inject ourselves with bleach if we get sick?

Your use of Hydroxychloroquine in the negative demonstrates how partisan you are.

I happen to work for one of the few companies on Planet Earth who manufactures Hydroxychloroquine, and I can tell you that the numerous nations BEGGING us to increase our production lines or to do whatever was in our power was possible to make more Hydroxychloroquine about a year ago was not because, "teh ORanGE MahN SED So". Yes, I realize that's what whatever far-left garbage like Daily Kos or MSNBC or Huffington Post downloaded into your brain and so you obediently believed it, but it was never true.

There was in fact a time when Hydroxychloroquine was really believed to perhaps be a lifesaver, and sadly while that did not turn out to be true, it made it no less stressful the part of those of us in industry at the time trying to think of ways to make of much of the stuff as possible back when it was thought that perhaps it might save lives. This includes things like, "can we responsibly add manufacturing line(s)"? Will XYZ European government (most of the ones aggressively contacting us) pay us to add lines? If we dont add lines but run employees overtime how much more Hydroxychloroquine can we make while breaking even on overtime payments? All of this **** was real world concerns.

Last edited:

mbedle

Such a pathetic excuse from Fauci . Could have been done honestly ...Foreign to him ? He could have gone to the nearest microphone and said . "America we need your help ,please bring your N95 masks to the nearest hospital " They would have as many as they needed .
I am assuming that you are kidding.
Oh, honey, no, please brace yourself for this, but they really were lies.

Help me out here "honey", having a hard time with this:

It is worth reading Fauci’s exact words from his March 8 interview on CBS's "60 Minutes.":

FAUCI: The masks are important for someone who's infected to prevent them from infecting someone else. Now, when you see people and look at the films in China and South Korea, whatever, and everybody's wearing a mask. Right now in the United States, people should not be walking around with masks.

HOST: You're sure of this, because people are listening really closely to this.

FAUCI: Right. Now people should not be walk— there's no reason to be walking around with a mask. When you're in the middle of an outbreak, wearing a mask might make people feel a little bit better and it might even block a droplet, but it's not providing the perfect protection that people think that it is.

And often there are unintended consequences. People keep fiddling with the mask and they keep touching their face.

HOST: And you can get some schmutz sort of staying inside there.

FAUCI: Of course, but when you think "masks," you should think of health care providers needing them and people who are ill. The people — when you look at the films of countries, and you see 85% of the people wearing masks, that's fine. That's fine. I'm not against it. If you want to do it, that's fine.

HOST: But it can lead to a shortage.

FAUCI: Exactly, that’s the point. It could lead to a shortage of masks for the people who really need it.

Fauci’s critics have focused on his words "there's no reason to be walking around with a mask." But in the same interview, he also said that it was "fine" to wear a mask, although it wouldn’t offer perfect protection. And he said the main point was to preserve masks for those who were already ill and people providing care.

On March 27, Fauci spoke to a San Francisco NBC affiliate. He said given the shortage of masks, the general public ranked last behind doctors and nurses, and people who are infected.

"When we say you don't need to wear a mask, what we're really saying is make sure you prioritize it first for the people who need the mask," Fauci said. "In a perfect world, if you had all the masks you wanted, then you could get some degree of protection, but make sure you prioritize it well."

Hawk

listen if you want to wear a mask cool if you don't cool. It doesn't need to be a political statement. even if it is who cares... Many Asians still wore masks after the bird flu and swine flu things a number of years ago. I hate wearing a mask I did when it was required I likely won't when it isn't. I may in certain situations, but probably not.
Jimmy has a good point here. I have Asian co-workers that have been wearing masks for years when they are feel even a little sick. One of these coworkers told me that out of respect to others they wear the mask to diminish the risk of transferring colds and flu to others. I would think that 1 in 1000 people might wear the mask as some kind of Virtue Signaling but to label all people with mask that way is just simplification.

machski

I can say if you travel a lot it is damn confusing where and where not you have to mask up. About half the hotels I have been to this week allowed vaccinated to go mask free in public spaces. The other half still required all to be masked in public spaces outside of actively eating/drinking. Some of those I'm pretty sure we're due to municipalities and not necessarily the hotel itself. Others were still the business. We both would by habit walk into hotels with masks on and then if we didn't see mask signs or saw a sign stating the adjusted guidance, would take them off. Restaurants are slower but we found a few this week too not requiring them of guests (though employees were still fully masked up).

machski

Jimmy has a good point here. I have Asian co-workers that have been wearing masks for years when they are feel even a little sick. One of these coworkers told me that out of respect to others they wear the mask to diminish the risk of transferring colds and flu to others. I would think that 1 in 1000 people might wear the mask as some kind of Virtue Signaling but to label all people with mask that way is just simplification.
I do think moving forward many more may mask up if feeling ill out of courtesy to others. The question will be are employers ok with these folks coming to work and not calling out sick.

Hawk

Times have changed for sure. I think that most major companies are re-writing office protocols to increase the pressure for people to stay home when sick. I for one would never stay home from work when I was felling sick unless I was dying. I also thought that people should make every effort to come in. Not now. The unfortunate part is that people will now take total advantage of this.

During winter flue season I might consider wearing a good and proper mask if I am going on crowded public transportation. Then again I might not depending on how things go. Hard to say right now.

jimmywilson69

with remote work being accepted for the past 15 months. If you have a slight cold, stay home and work or call out sick if you are too damn sick to work. That should be the norm.

Smellytele

with remote work being accepted for the past 15 months. If you have a slight cold, stay home and work or call out sick if you are too damn sick to work. That should be the norm.
Easy to say if your job allows working at home. People in the service industry don't always have that as an option. Also when you only have a limited amount of sick time then if you are slightly sick will you stay home? Some places also roll all time off into one bucket so it cuts into vaca time...