• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Vintage trail maps/mountain advertisements.

Bene288

I thought it would be cool to share old trail maps and advertisements. It's always neat to see how the mountains have changed. I always thought the art on old ski promo posters and trail maps was so much better than what they come up with today.

Not sure if this qualifies as a map, but here is an old trail layout of Gore:ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1386438290.576838.jpg

Love this old Magic poster:
ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1386438464.941306.jpg

skiNEwhere

I had a lot of trouble finding older trail maps until skimap.org came along. I agree with you though, it's always interesting to see how mountains change and get bigger over time (unless we are talking about Killington :p )

4aprice

I thought it would be cool to share old trail maps and advertisements. It's always neat to see how the mountains have changed. I always thought the art on old ski promo posters and trail maps was so much better than what they come up with today.

Not sure if this qualifies as a map, but here is an old trail layout of Gore:View attachment 9701

Bene: I have a lot of old trail maps.(collections which my wife thinks are ridiculous) I have one very similar to the Gore map shown above. I believe it is circa 1972. The cool thing is it is titled as Ski the Big 3 and includes maps of Whiteface and Belleayre for that year. Some of my great old ones include Great George, Camelback, Hunter, Mt Snow Stratton, Magic, Okemo, Killington (Not as old as the one Tin posted) Sugarbush, Stowe and Madonna Mountain (now Smugglers Notch), all of them around 1970 and great fun to look at.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
wow. killington was so small. make you wonder what these resorts will look like 100 years from now. Skiing didn't even exist that long ago.

Will we be skiing on hover skis ?

xlr8r

Gore really had a strange layout with that original gondola. What were they thinking building it with a midway angle station that did not serve any trails?

4aprice

Gore really had a strange layout with that original gondola. What were they thinking building it with a midway angle station that did not serve any trails?

Gore is kind of a strange mountain to begin with. Great overall vertical but not great ski vertical. They wanted to get people to the top, but its hard to ski Gore t2b. The new gondola is much better. Still its a great place with great woods when it has snow.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

millerm277

Good lord! It started out as a clusterf!

K has great terrain but horrible trails. Guess it's the same it's always been. Nice share.

Well, there's really no other way to lay it out. You need a lower level run off the peak, and to link the pods, and that's the only functional layout there is.

If you've ever skied Royal Flush, it's obvious that even with Hunter quantities of earthmoving, you'd have a tough time making an intermediate run to fall into the Canyon basin.

Anyway, in addition to TeachSki, there's also skimap.org which also has a massive collection of old trail maps.

C-Rex

wow. killington was so small. make you wonder what these resorts will look like 100 years from now. Skiing didn't even exist that long ago.

Will we be skiing on hover skis ?

Maybe the next iceage will have started and everyone will have big fat powder skis and boards as their primary setup. Maybe I'll have my body frozen for a few decades and find out. Haha!

dlague

I think it is interesting to see some resorts with a trail count that is about half of what it is today and when looking at the map they look similar. I guess they did not count those 50 ft connector trails or name trails with upper, mid and lower.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I think it is interesting to see some resorts with a trail count that is about half of what it is today and when looking at the map they look similar. I guess they did not count those 50 ft connector trails or name trails with upper, mid and lower.

It wasn't that long ago that Stowe advertised "the Great 48". They didn't have all the uppers and lowers you see today and I thought that was pretty cool. According to a friend who worked in marketing years ago, they felt they had to up the trail count like everywhere else in New England because the perception was that Stowe is a small ski area.

Big Game

It wasn't that long ago that Stowe advertised "the Great 48". They didn't have all the uppers and lowers you see today and I thought that was pretty cool. According to a friend who worked in marketing years ago, they felt they had to up the trail count like everywhere else in New England because the perception was that Stowe is a small ski area.

Reminds me of my time at pizza delivery joints

Customer: How many slices are in your large?
Me: How many would you like?

Of course I never said that. I'd always chicken out. I would ask "how many and how hungry and Ill tell you what to order." I liked being a jerk but I liked tips better.

Huck_It_Baby

Reminds me of my time at pizza delivery joints

Customer: How many slices are in your large?
Me: How many would you like?

Of course I never said that. I'd always chicken out. I would ask "how many and how hungry and Ill tell you what to order." I liked being a jerk but I liked tips better.

haha Tax attorneys are the craziest!

the excuse i read was that is was done for ski patrol so they would know exactly where to go

deadheadskier

Staff member
the excuse i read was that is was done for ski patrol so they would know exactly where to go

that's the ski area's excuse to the general public, so it doesn't look like they are padding their stats. My friend in marketing at the time would tell you otherwise ;)

Now Stowe is the most guilty mountain there is of calling every little sliver on their hill an individual trail.

steamboat1

We've had this discussion before. To me it makes a lot of sense to name trails upper, middle & lower at a lot of ski areas. For example upper Superstar at Killington opened over 3 weeks ago, middle Superstar opened last week, lower Superstar opened today. Would it have been right for K to say that Superstar was open 3 weeks ago when only the upper section was open at that time? Same thing applies on trails at a lot of other ski areas.