• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Vote for Utah ski bus

thetrailboss

Staff member

jimk

Bummer. The bus line they dropped last year and are apparently not reinstating this year is the one that is most useful to me.
I'm a believer in the conspiracy theory that certain high level power brokers in the state of UT want to piss off the populace with so much vehicle traffic problems that the majority of the public eventually consents to building the LCC gondola.

ThatGuy

Its crazy to me they’re really planning to build a whole gondola in a canyon where you aren’t even allowed to walk your dogs because of environmental impacts. Also shouldn’t AltaBird be footing some of this bill since they are the primary beneficiaries from said gondola.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Bummer. The bus line they dropped last year and are apparently not reinstating this year is the one that is most useful to me.
I'm a believer in the conspiracy theory that certain high level power brokers in the state of UT want to piss off the populace with so much vehicle traffic problems that the majority of the public eventually consents to building the LCC gondola.

Same. Especially given that the ski bus routes gotta be some of the most ridden lines in the whole uta network... I have no data to back that up other than anecdotal UTA usage once a month or so.

ss20

Its crazy to me they’re really planning to build a whole gondola in a canyon where you aren’t even allowed to walk your dogs because of environmental impacts. Also shouldn’t AltaBird be footing some of this bill since they are the primary beneficiaries from said gondola.
Yes and yes.

It's mostly moot anyway now that we know there won't be any kind of construction on a road expansion or gondola til at least the mid 2030s. It could be a whole different world by then with whatever technology advancements are come up with.

ThatGuy

Yes and yes.

It's mostly moot anyway now that we know there won't be any kind of construction on a road expansion or gondola til at least the mid 2030s. It could be a whole different world by then with whatever technology advancements are come up with.
It’s going to be one of those projects that takes decades to come to fruition (if it ever does). I’m just glad I’ll be skiing LCC before the aesthetic value is drastically reduced with a gondola.
I give this a better chance of being accomplished than the Balsams though 😂

djd66

Yes and yes.

2030's? really? By then, they won't need drivers as I think driverless tech will replace the bus drivers.

thetrailboss

Staff member
I can honestly say that it is a low unemployment, tight labor market issue as to UTA. A while back I asked folks here, "who would want to be a bus driver?" I still have NO takers.

thetrailboss

Staff member
When you all have a few minutes, listen to this recent Radio West discussion on the "Pros" of the Gondola plan:

jimk

For the record, I'm in favor of the gondola up LCC. The current situation with traffic continuing to increase each season is far more degrading to the aesthetics of the canyon than building a gondola and requiring all visitors/skiers who aren't staying overnight at the resorts to park at the mouth and ride the gondola.

BenedictGomez

Yes and yes.

I wonder if they'll try to use Salt Lake City / Park City 2034 as a bogey to greatly speed-up construction & completion.

ss20

2030's? really? By then, they won't need drivers as I think driverless tech will replace the bus drivers.

I won't quote it because I can't guarantee this was the wording but at least the mid 2030s (funding dependent) is what UDOT said in their decision.

Nothing has a funding mechanism in place expect for tolling and improved bus service on the current road come 2024 or 2025 (can't remember). Everything after that is TBD

4aprice

I can honestly say that it is a low unemployment, tight labor market issue as to UTA. A while back I asked folks here, "who would want to be a bus driver?" I still have NO takers.
I have to admit, I'm not sure I would want to drive a bus up and down those canyons. It can be nerve racking enough in a car. Imagine having the lives of 50 or what ever number of people in your hands.

Once having a text convo with my son I saw an ad for CDOT looking for snow plow drivers. Told my son that I was thinking about a new career and he said "great", only to text me back 1/2 hr later to say "wait, what? don't do it, that sounds dangerous". Had a good laugh over that one

jaytrem

Once having a text convo with my son I saw an ad for CDOT looking for snow plow drivers. Told my son that I was thinking about a new career and he said "great", only to text me back 1/2 hr later to say "wait, what? don't do it, that sounds dangerous". Had a good laugh over that one
I don't know if you should give up on that dream. In fact, I think Red Mountain Pass might be calling your name!