• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Vote for Utah ski bus

raisingarizona

I was only in Europe for 5 or six days last year, Switzerland to be exact but it seemed like their basic needs were taken care of, the "poorer" people seemed pretty darn well off and comfortable and there wasn't much crime or at least where I was.

I doubt five days is enough to really form much of an opinion but that was my personal observation.

machski

Update

Variable tolling upwards of $50/vehicle per day. Pure money grab targeting one type of Canyon user. If you are going to potentially charge that, it needs to be at the actual mouth and all users pay the same. Glad I got my Utah skiing out of the way years ago, sounds like an absolute hot mess now. Given the lack of beds up Canyons, say buy buy to tourist $$ flowing in should these types of toll costs come to pass and a Gondola(s) fail to materialize.

snoseek

20-50 is a big range and both numbers seem excessive to me. If that money went straight to better bussing then sure I guess but that bussing better be flawless and constant.

thebigo

I was only in Europe for 5 or six days last year, Switzerland to be exact but it seemed like their basic needs were taken care of, the "poorer" people seemed pretty darn well off and comfortable and there wasn't much crime or at least where I was.

I doubt five days is enough to really form much of an opinion but that was my personal observation.
Switzerland is the wealthiest country in continental Europe; try Rome or Prague at night or any rural area in eastern Europe for that matter.

thetrailboss

Staff member
20-50 is a big range and both numbers seem excessive to me. If that money went straight to better bussing then sure I guess but that bussing better be flawless and constant.
All I am going to say is IKON understand why this is coming….

thetrailboss

Staff member
Me to - too many out of staters moved in then complained when the area got "over crowded" when more moved in after them.
If that is a jab at me, I've been here now 12 years. Long before IKON and the move to volume strategy in canyons that cannot handle the traffic.

FBGM

Half dozen beers in thought…

…does the “skiing market” have a crash like the “housing market”. How much up and up and up can you go before a correction?

Of course if they still come and pay regardless of ticket/pass/parking/tolls then why not keep up ticking charges. But when does this top out?

jaytrem

If that is a jab at me, I've been here now 12 years. Long before IKON and the move to volume strategy in canyons that cannot handle the traffic.
Over 1/2 a million people moved there in the last 12 years, all but 3 of them ski. I'm sure ikon doesn't help, but I can't imagine the crowds weren't coming anyway. I would think most SLC places would be maxed out anyway on weekends due to lack of parking and insufficient mass transit. No?

LonghornSkier

Half dozen beers in thought…

…does the “skiing market” have a crash like the “housing market”. How much up and up and up can you go before a correction?

Of course if they still come and pay regardless of ticket/pass/parking/tolls then why not keep up ticking charges. But when does this top out?

I don’t disagree that skier visits could dip at some point in the next 5 years as the experience degrades, but there are big differences between the skiing market and the housing market. Leverage, stickiness, transaction costs, etc.. A better comp would probably be what the golf industry was going through prior to covid injecting life into it.