• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Waterville Vally sold?

threecy

Website
www.franklinsites.com
Both Tinny and I were talking about Sugarbush not Sugarloaf.

I must have missed the context due to reading the last page first. I had read your "Again, not sure I would be screaming about Sugarbush or Sugarloaf. The latter does have its highest lift end just shy of the summit, but the difference is negligable " comment.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
'deserve'???
Yes. Deserve. Just like if any other business misrepresented its product. You'd want to have someone knowledgeable about the product clear up the marketing mess and give you the facts. Its like reading any online review before buying a product. Its just like any other business.

You can put the ski industry up on a pedestal and shrug when the line between marketing and misrepresentation is crossed. I won't. Why let the "n00bs" figure it out on their own? Think about what that type of statement is saying!?! "Yes, I know many businesses in this industry not only exaggerate but completely misrepresent. And its okay and it is considered acceptable. And no, we vets don't care. Especially because we are not being mislead, you the n00b are being mislead. Stick around long enough, you'll get to know the secret handshake. You'll learn how to read between the lines." :-o

I was glad when I smartened up to the way things are. Wish someone else had told me sooner. The more we call BS maybe the more likely we are to get the real deal. Maybe. I really think that is true with snow total reporting, I think the internet has made ski areas more honest. Or at least, we can call BS and maybe that will help someone else make a more informed decision. No business deserves a free pass, IMO. Especially, in an industry that I enjoy so much... not the other way around.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
I must have missed the context due to reading the last page first. I had read your "Again, not sure I would be screaming about Sugarbush or Sugarloaf. The latter does have its highest lift end just shy of the summit, but the difference is negligable " comment.
I thought the same and almost commented. An easy miss given the names and their both being discussed in close proximity.

deadheadskier

Staff member
"We completed the purchase of Waterville Valley on October 13 and are now going as fast as we can to make improvements before the start of the ski season," said Bob Fries, the new General Manager of Waterville Valley Ski Resort Ltd. "The increased snowmaking capacity will help Waterville Valley leverage its 4,000-foot elevation, allowing us to open a greater variety of terrain for Thanksgiving and early December."

this is what Bob said

Now that I said something nice, Mr. Bob Fries needs to look at a topo map. Mount Tecumseh does indeed top out at just over 4k'. But the ski area tops out quite a bit below the actual summit. And the skiing is below all well below that less than 4k' top of the double. The statement is kind asinine, "leveraging" vertical they don't even have. And even if the double did top out at 4k', the snow making still happens mostly between 2k-3k.

you're taking the message much further and making a fairly benign and not all that hyped statement to be like he's marketing the place as Vail.

I read what he's saying as, Waterville Valley is a fairly high elevation area. We dumped some money into snowmaking equipment. Hopefully that pays off as we'll have positive temperatures at elevation to make more snow.

Yes. Deserve. Just like if any other business misrepresented its product. You'd want to have someone knowledgeable about the product clear up the marketing mess and give you the facts. Its like reading any online review before buying a product. Its just like any other business.

You can put the ski industry up on a pedestal and shrug when the line between marketing and misrepresentation is crossed. I won't. Why let the "n00bs" figure it out on their own? Think about what that type of statement is saying!?! "Yes, I know many businesses in this industry not only exaggerate but completely misrepresent. And its okay and it is considered acceptable. And no, we vets don't care. Especially because we are not being mislead, you the n00b are being mislead. Stick around long enough, you'll get to know the secret handshake. You'll learn how to read between the lines." :-o

I was glad when I smartened up to the way things are. Wish someone else had told me sooner. The more we call BS maybe the more likely we are to get the real deal. Maybe. I really think that is true with snow total reporting, I think the internet has made ski areas more honest. Or at least, we can call BS and maybe that will help someone else make a more informed decision. No business deserves a free pass, IMO. Especially, in an industry that I enjoy so much... not the other way around.

seriously man

you're throwing up some caution tape around a broken easter egg. Read what the man said. Not that big a deal.

thetrailboss

Staff member

Correct, but you quoted the four-foot comment, which applied to Sugarbush. I offered an explanation for Sugarloaf and said that the difference is not that much either. In fact your picture shows that the difference us about what 20 feet or so vertical distance?

threecy

Website
www.franklinsites.com
Correct, but you quoted the four-foot comment, which applied to Sugarbush.
Ironic that I jumped to a conclusion when quoting TW

I offered an explanation for Sugarloaf and said that the difference is not that much either. In fact your picture shows that the difference us about what 20 feet or so vertical distance?

There's a person on the right who helps put the difference in context. It's probably 50% of the Wildcat difference. There's enough room to run a small T-Bar from the chair to the summit - certainly not worth it though. Nonetheless, the summit is advertised, but is not reached.

Ski areas generously rounding on ski area verticals - stop the presses!

thetrailboss

Staff member
There's a person on the right who helps put the difference in context. It's probably 50% of the Wildcat difference. There's enough room to run a small T-Bar from the chair to the summit - certainly not worth it though. Nonetheless, the summit is advertised, but is not reached.

Ski areas generously rounding on ski area verticals - stop the presses!

I'm using the old Gondi Building as a reference and it is a two story building. Read my explanation again--i.e. that folks do hike to the snowfields and the summit to ski and as such it is skiing off the summit. I will agree that it may need an "*" but I think that the difference in elevation is really nothing to get excited over and when one looks at the trail map it clearly shows that the lift stops just short of the summit.

threecy

Website
www.franklinsites.com
Chris Sununu was on Howie Carr's radio show last week and said that they'll be doing some sizable improvements next year at Waterville.

Smellytele

Interview With Chris Sununu

In October, it was announced that the Sununu Family and a group of local investors had purchased the Waterville Valley Ski Area, Waterville Valley Nordic Center, Waterville Valley Conference Center and the Town Square, putting the resort back into local hands. "Our vision for Waterville Valley puts the family vacation experience as top priority", said Chris Sununu. "We want to preserve what is so special about Waterville Valley and at the same time begin to invest in the mountain to ensure the best possible skiing experience". Chris shares what that means for Waterville Valley this season as well as quick look into some long term plans.

What are you most excited about in purchasing Waterville Valley?
Waterville Valley has been a second home for three generations of my family for over 25 years. We have seen it through the highs and the lows and now have an opportunity to have a direct impact on our future. There is unlimited potential in Waterville Valley but it is up to all of us to make it a reality. We won't stop until we return Waterville Valley to its rightful place as one of America's premier East Coast Resorts.

Are other members of the Sununu family involved in the purchase?
We put together and participated in a diverse investment team from folks all around New England. I will be serving as the Chief Executive Officer. My brother John, the former Senator, is a resident of the valley and has some tremendous experience with corporate management. I have asked him to serve as the Chairman of the Board to help oversee the master planning and strategy. And no Sununu project is ever really complete without some sagely advice from my father. He will be serving on an advisory board to assist with relationships and matters as well.

Can any immediate improvements be made with the ski season coming up so fast?
There is no denying that having the deal finalized so close to the ski season has made it difficult to complete some of the capital improvements we have scheduled. We have had to prioritize our wish list and will work hard to get items completed on time. To start, a new grooming cat and 25 new energy efficient snow guns top the list of mountain investments. A few projects being undertaken in the main lodge include new bathrooms and a revamped dining area. Town Square will also see a few upgrades both in the rooms and some exterior touch-ups. Finally we are allocating funds for an aggressive marketing strategy that will broaden our reach across the New England and bring back some of the families that have passed us over in recent years. Ultimately it will take about a full year to complete the initial renovations we have planned. We hope folks will come out this season to see what is new and what they can expect in years to come.

Can I still purchase a Threedom Pass?
Absolutely. With our revitalized approach to customer service, there is no better time to take advantage of our great deals. Our prices, location, and amenities are too good to pass up.

Do you ski or snowboard?
Mostly skiing now-a-days. My kids are younger and are really getting into snowsports, and so far they prefer skiing. Although with my son also surfing more and more, something tells me snowboards are definitely in our family's future. And more recently I have also taken up cross country skiing. About 5 years ago I began discovering why everyone has always raved about Waterville Valley's Nordic system. Since hiking the Appalachian Trail in 1998 I have had a strong affinity for New England's backcountry and there is no better place than the Valley.

What is your favorite trail?
It depends on the time of day and weather, but in the morning you will often find me on Ciao and in the afternoon I tend to move over to Tippecanoe. It is a great wide, sunny, cruising run.

Are there plans for adding activities for spring, summer and fall also?
Waterville Valley will not be able to compete as a 21st century resort until we are able to provide year round amenities for the entire family. That means we must be competitive in all four seasons regardless of the weather. We have the edge over other resorts in terms of location and surroundings so there is no reason, other than our own lack of vision, that we should not be everyone's first choice for recreation. If we do that the entire valley will grow and thrive.

Can you share any long range goals and plans for the resort?
I can sum up our strategy in two words, Sustainable Growth. Whether we are talking about trails, lodging, food, amenities, marketing, lifts, whatever, we need to grow but do it right. That means working in close partnership with the rest of the valley's interest and owners, building a strong relationship with town management, and working with the Forest Service and Environmental Services. So far the response has been great and we need to capitalize on that momentum.