• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Waterville Vally sold?

threecy

Website
www.franklinsites.com
OMG, are you going to start this crap in another thread. We all know where you stand on Mittersill. Get is a f-ing rest.

If you go back to page 7, you'll note that it was the moderator who brought up the Cannon lease and politics.

I'm sure if Sununu gets elected, he'll be pushing hard for the Cannon lease :smash:

deadheadskier

Staff member
guilty as charged

though I question your motivation in tying in Cannon skier visits to a Waterville Valley discussion.......

threecy

Website
www.franklinsites.com
guilty as charged

though I question your motivation in tying in Cannon skier visits to a Waterville Valley discussion.......

Cannon is referred to by some here as a major ski area. I believe the quote I was responding to was "Wow 170,000 visits, that is sad" - Cannon is right up the road from Waterville and skis tens of thousands fewer skiers, so is 170k really sad?

Certainly it's not good in comparison to the 300k number.

skiberg

It does not matter how many skiers visits Cannon has. Its State owned it will never go under.

AdironRider

I remember when I had my first car. In reality a piece of shit old BMW, but it was a BMW, so I busted my ass on it and made it nice.

What did I do with it? Cruise the Hampton Beach strip, get bums to buy me booze, and other general mischief. Ahh Hampton Beach, good times for a 16 year old local NH kid who doesnt know any better.

I realized shortly thereafter the place is trash, but I still go surf at the wall everytime Im home.

Tin Woodsman

OMG, are you going to start this crap in another thread. We all know where you stand on Mittersill. Give it a f-ing rest. And youclaim to be the expert on all thing's NH and you did not know Chris Sununu was running for office. Wow, now your credibility has taken a dive in my books.

He still had some with you? You're generous.

thetrailboss

Staff member
By what? 4 feet?

+ 1. The difference between the top of the Summit Quad and the true summit is really negligable. In fact, as you unload, I'd say that the ramp puts a skier at the same elevation as the summit, which is about 50 yards in the woods south of the top of the lift and marked by a cairn.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Is it not a fact that Waterville is located on Mt. Tecumseh and that that Mt. is 4000 feet?
You are missing my point and switching the discussion out of context. Let's use Stowe as an example since you introduced it as a comparison. What if the Stowe GM said something like "we have great snow making thanks to our mountain elevation being over 4k'" when in fact the ski area tops out at 3640'. That is the equivalent. I would have no problem with Waterville GM stating that "Waterville Valley Ski Area is on a mountain that is a Four Thousand Footer". That is the equivalent of your comparison to Stowe marketing having the ski area on Vermont's highest mountain.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Amongst 4K ski areas:

Wildcat advertises their vertical and summit elevation to be on the summit of Wildcat "D" peak, which is above the lift.

Saddleback advertises their vertical and summit elevation to be on the summit of Saddleback, which is above the lift.

Sugarloaf advertises their vertical and summit elevation to be on the summit of Sugarloaf, which is above the lift.

Sugarbush advertises their vertical and summit elevation to be on the summit of Mt. Ellen, which is above the lift.
Thanks for the list. All BS stats and all deserve a calling out.

thetrailboss

Staff member

Again, not sure I would be screaming about Sugarbush or Sugarloaf. The latter does have its highest lift end just shy of the summit, but the difference is negligable as well and folks do hike up to ski the snowfields. So when push comes to shove, yes, folks can ski the mountain from its true top to the bottom. WV on the other hand, well, I have hiked it and the true summit is a ways from the top of the ski area and it is a bit higher.

In this era of having a GPS attached to almost anything that moves, resorts are not going to be able to get away with inflated elevation numbers. FWIW ASC did list Mount Ellen as being 50 feet taller than it is and SV corrected that. Also, Burke recently found 11 feet that it had been missing for some time when it went from 2,000 to 2,011 vertical feet. :lol:

EPB

You can cross reference Wildcat's stats with skilift.org's lift survey of the Summit Quad and google earth. Wildcat claims 2112 ranging from 1950 to 4062 (the true summit). The skilifts.org survey claims that the quad covers 2041 feet. Google earth will tell a similar tale.

They used to have a sign on their ski patrol building that claimed the elevation was 3900 something at the top of the resort. I am uncertain if it is still there today.

As for other the other resorts mentioned, I am not certain. I do believe that Waterville's actual summit is around 3850-3875.

thetrailboss

Staff member
As for other the other resorts mentioned, I am not certain. I do believe that Waterville's actual summit is around 3850-3875.

That sounds about right. I recall it being about 200 or so vertical feet...not 400. And according to the AMC Trail Guide, the top of the ski area (where the Sosman Trail begins) is 3,850. The base of the ski area according to the AMC Guide is 1,840.

threecy

Website
www.franklinsites.com
Give it a f-ing rest. And youclaim to be the expert on all thing's NH and you did not know Chris Sununu was running for office. Wow, now your credibility has taken a dive in my books.

I missed that second backhanded insult. You'll notice I was referring to Governor and Senator Sununu. I have not met Chris Sununu and I do no claim to be an expert on all things Sununu.

He still had some with you? You're generous.

That means a lot coming from you. You're such a nice person.

+ 1. The difference between the top of the Summit Quad and the true summit is really negligable. In fact, as you unload, I'd say that the ramp puts a skier at the same elevation as the summit, which is about 50 yards in the woods south of the top of the lift and marked by a cairn.

By what? 4 feet?

Yes, four feet, exactly.

sugarloafsummit.jpg

threecy

Website
www.franklinsites.com
That sounds about right. I recall it being about 200 or so vertical feet...not 400. And according to the AMC Trail Guide, the top of the ski area (where the Sosman Trail begins) is 3,850. The base of the ski area according to the AMC Guide is 1,840.

Steve Smith is very precious, usually within 10-20 feet, with such measurements, so that's probably a good, unbiased source.

deadheadskier

Staff member

'deserve'???

it's marketing. I guess I really don't care all that much. The only time I've gotten slightly bent over ski area marketing is when Stowe changed their trail count from 48 to 116. I always appreciated that they 'kept it real'. An old friend of mine works in the marketing department. He said it was a simple decision. They were losing British tour group business to Southern VT areas that advertised higher trail counts. Can't fault them at all for making the change.

Similarly I can't fault Bob Fries for hyping his area the way he is and I don't feel it 'deserves' a call out. I want all ski businesses to be massively successful. It benefits the sport. A true skier like you can read between the lines. No need to tell the n00bs what the real deal is. They'll figure it out on their own.

Hell, Lee Jeans has Mike Rowe saying their jeans will make your ass look better. Maybe I'll make the switch from Wrangler as Brett Favre is apparently cheating on his wife. :spin: