• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Weekend lines?

slatham

Not in VT this weekend and hearing anecdotally about crowds and long lift lines? For instance someone post on SM that Mt Ellen had cars parked on access road. Someone at Bromley made comment they quit late morning yesterday due to lines. Any other commentary? Wondering how next weekend (and following week) will fare given Presidents holiday.

rocks860

I haven’t been up yet this year but I’m also wondering about next weekend. I was planning on going to magic on Thursday but then saw the snow forecasted for Thursday night and Friday and thought about going Friday instead. Are there usually crowds on the Friday of the holiday weekend?

cdskier

Yes, it was crowded yesterday at Sugarbush (not today though). But the lifts are also running with many chairs less than full. So a 5-10 minute lift line factoring that in really isn't that bad. A "crowded" day at SB still seems nowhere near what you're hearing from many of the Epic resorts.

I have honestly no idea what to expect next weekend. Some people are blacked out next weekend here at Sugarbush if they only have the Ikon base pass. I have no idea how much of an impact that will make though. Maybe it is only a handful of people. Or maybe it is a decent amount.

NYDB

Magic was 10 min from 10am on mostly-maybe 15 Saturday at peak. Pretty normal for a good snow conditions Saturday.

Don't know how many people ended up canceling because of the mechanical on red, so that could have had an effect.

People were saying the Wednesday powder day opening had lines up the hill on redline.

I will say that many schools in NY have gone full remote for a while and some people I know have moved to their mtn homes for the month of Feb. I'd expect a busy Feb with the good snow conditions.

drjeff

Mount Snow had long lines on Saturday (20+ minutes at the high-speeds and other lifts at times during a good chunk of the day) the on trail while skiing/riding density though was generally pleasantly low short of the occasional time when you encountered a group of numerous people.

Parking lots were a zoo. They nearly had cars parked all the way around Snow Lake once all of the main lots were filled.

Next Weekend is going to be interesting for sure!

And there's about as much snow on the ground now at my condo as most anytime I can remember in the 14 seasons my wife and I have owned it short of maybe during the 5 foot in 1 week storm 3 or 4 March's ago, and one other March maybe 10 or so years ago!

parahelia

Yes, it was crowded yesterday at Sugarbush (not today though). But the lifts are also running with many chairs less than full. So a 5-10 minute lift line factoring that in really isn't that bad. A "crowded" day at SB still seems nowhere near what you're hearing from many of the Epic resorts.

I have honestly no idea what to expect next weekend. Some people are blacked out next weekend here at Sugarbush if they only have the Ikon base pass. I have no idea how much of an impact that will make though. Maybe it is only a handful of people. Or maybe it is a decent amount.

At Sunday River I’ve noticed the Ikon/Boyne Silver blackout dates have a huge effect on holiday weekend crowds. Both this year (MLK) and last years MLK/Pres. Day weekends were much less crowded than typical midwinter both Sat/Sun (Ikon base is blacked out both days). The Friday before MLK this year had significantly more people than Sat/Sun despite weekend snow.

Bummer if you’re blacked out, but it’s great for regular passholders!

Slidebrook87

Yesterday at Sugarbush was very busy but today was much better. The afternoon was empty and was practically midweek crowds. Of course this is probably because of the Super Bowl.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Magic was 10 min from 10am on mostly-maybe 15 Saturday at peak. Pretty normal for a good snow conditions Saturday.

Don't know how many people ended up canceling because of the mechanical on red, so that could have had an effect.

People were saying the Wednesday powder day opening had lines up the hill on redline.

I will say that many schools in NY have gone full remote for a while and some people I know have moved to their mtn homes for the month of Feb. I'd expect a busy Feb with the good snow conditions.
Is Red running? I heard it broke down this past week.

NYDB

Is Red running? I heard it broke down this past week.
Yes up and running for Sat but I would suspect there were more than a few day tickets who canceled based on the news. They let everyone know asap but I beleive it was like midnight Friday before they knew for certain it would spin

skiur

Yesterday was the busiest day of the year at Killington. There were lines in the canyon, and at south ridge. Today wasn't bad at all.

WWF-VT

Very busy at Mt Ellen on Saturday. I lapped the North Ridge chair and the long lift lines were mostly due to the fact that one out of every 10 chairs went up with 4 people.

KustyTheKlown

bolton saturday had some 10 minutes waits. lines looked longer than they actually were because they are single file and go a long distance. snow was incredible, 5" overnight, deep untracked woods all day. magic today was pretty breezy, never more than 5 minutes wait. they've got their system down for the red chair line, it works well. indy destinations for the win as always.

Mum skier

Sunapee was okay today especially after lunch. But busier than a typical Super Bowl Sunday. I am a hoping that is good news, meaning people weren’t all hurying home to superspreader parties! Snow was good.
Have not risked a Saturday anywhere yet.

hovercraft

Stowe was fine today maybe 5 minutes or so in the morning no lines in the afternoon to speak of.

Smellytele

Sunapee was okay today especially after lunch. But busier than a typical Super Bowl Sunday. I am a hoping that is good news, meaning people weren’t all hurying home to superspreader parties! Snow was good.
Have not risked a Saturday anywhere yet.
Patriots weren't playing so less people from NE watching even tough Tom Terrific was playing.

TyWebb

Thoughts on this Sat lines @ Magic Mt?

Son and I are skiing Killington Thurs and Friday - thinking Magic on Sat to keep costs down and avoid the larger resorts b4 we head back home

Cornhead

Greek was swamped on Saturday, busier than normal on a superbowl Sunday, usually a good day to ski, less parties/bar gatherings due to Covid, I assume.

Killingtime

Never had to wait more than a few minutes at Whiteface yesterday and the conditions were excellent. Avoided the gondola which had the longest line. Other than the Face at the base, most were five minutes tops. Whiteface may have just became my new favorite place. Heard from friends that Killington was nuts on Saturday. Instagram was posting hour long waits at Mountain Creek?? Ugh, I would have just gone home.