• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Weekend lines?

NYDB

I was there too and timed several waits. Longest was 24 minutes and that was due to the confluence of first batch of skiers arriving at base, people still arriving, maze being built/expanded, and the early "3 runs then go to work" crew was still there. Dropped off to 10-15 and then to minor at noon once Green opened. If Green was opened earlier (remember, powder days are Red only) lines would have been maybe 20 minutes with Green ski on.

NY DB is right about this weerkend, 15-20, maybe a one off at 10:30 or so is longer, Green 0-5. Slopes empty. Snow conditions and coverage exceptional.

Everyone should go elsewhere it'll be a terrible experience ;) !
Empty slopes and great snow conditions should be emphasized. The biggest difference at Magic with red only running and 100% of the mountain open.

The crowd is at the lifts, not on the trails.

urungus

im taking this sat and sunday off, and trying berkshire east for the first time ever monday.

Good time to visit Berkshire East, it is 100% open and the skiing has been great. To get a good feel for what makes Berkshire East special, I recommend the following trails:

* East Glades (look for sign on skiers left of Mohawk. Bear slightly right at the entrance, avoid going straight/left along the wires, which will take you straight down to Big Chief)
* Roy’s Way
* Jug (including the chute immediately to your left after unloading off the main chairlift, which was recently renamed Flying Cloud). Then go into the narrow opening just left of the shed.
* Minnie Dole (upper portion immediately to your right after unloading off the main chairlift) -> Beast

Although on the trail map, Beast is unmarked and can be a bit tricky to find. You want to start at the corner of Riva Ridge and UMass (look for the Riva Ridge sign), following the tracks under the zip line wires. Then follow the first set of tracks that branch off to the right. Eventually you will find yourself at the top of a steep very narrow trail heading straight down through the woods. The current trail map does not depict it accurately, here is a better representation from a couple years ago:

202E7689-AEDE-465A-BBFC-E3C80A947066.jpeg

04AB0561-8FCA-4F12-8BF1-6284EE02E615.jpeg

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Berkshire East is fun. Enjoy the bike trails and a solid amount of marked/unmarked trees. When I went a couple weeks ago on a Wednesday the place was PACKED though so be warned. Solid 10-15 minute wait throughout the day. Not the quiet place it used to be.

urungus

Berkshire East is fun. Enjoy the bike trails and a solid amount of marked/unmarked trees. When I went a couple weeks ago on a Wednesday the place was PACKED though so be warned. Solid 10-15 minute wait throughout the day. Not the quiet place it used to be.

Wednesday afternoons can get busy as there are many local school programs on that day. I’ve seen some crowds developing Thursday late afternoon around the start of the night skiing session too. Monday shouldn’t be too bad though, even if it is a holiday. I expect they will be running both chairs to the top.

ss20

Good info, thanks. How do you think midweek will be next week? kids are off from school and I want to avoid the big areas and crowds. Hoping everyone will be heading there and thunder ridge will be quieter. Are mornings or afternoons generally better?

Our crowds are "inverted" to what one would normally find at a ski area. It is quietest from 9-12 then it gradually picks up and peaks in business at 3-5pm as day tickets and twilight tickets overlap at those times, as well as high school racers practicing. A lot of area schools no longer have the full week off, just Monday. So I'd say Tuesday-Thursday would be your best bet. The past few years it has been pretty slow President's week as we still charge holiday prices despite many schools not having off.

I hope you make it up for a visit. In 7 years working here I've never seen it as good as it is now. 100% open, too. It's so deep they even had enough snow to groom the one natural trail we have!

ss20

Wednesday afternoons can get busy as there are many local school programs on that day. I’ve seen some crowds developing Thursday late afternoon around the start of the night skiing session too. Monday shouldn’t be too bad though, even if it is a holiday. I expect they will be running both chairs to the top.

Ah that explains it. It was getting busier from 3-4pm as people kept coming in and waiting 15 minutes for 950 vertical feet just wasn't worth it, in my opinion.

skithetrees

Our crowds are "inverted" to what one would normally find at a ski area. It is quietest from 9-12 then it gradually picks up and peaks in business at 3-5pm as day tickets and twilight tickets overlap at those times, as well as high school racers practicing. A lot of area schools no longer have the full week off, just Monday. So I'd say Tuesday-Thursday would be your best bet. The past few years it has been pretty slow President's week as we still charge holiday prices despite many schools not having off.

I hope you make it up for a visit. In 7 years working here I've never seen it as good as it is now. 100% open, too. It's so deep they even had enough snow to groom the one natural trail we have!
Awesome. Great info. we’ve had season passes there in the past since it’s so close and been there at least once a week, but going more sparingly this year. Will try to get up there in the mornings at least once next week.

KustyTheKlown

Good time to visit Berkshire East, it is 100% open and the skiing has been great. To get a good feel for what makes Berkshire East special, I recommend the following trails:

* East Glades (look for sign on skiers left of Mohawk. Bear slightly right at the entrance, avoid going straight/left along the wires, which will take you straight down to Big Chief)
* Roy’s Way
* Jug (including the chute immediately to your left after unloading off the main chairlift, which was recently renamed Flying Cloud). Then go into the narrow opening just left of the shed.
* Minnie Dole (upper portion immediately to your right after unloading off the main chairlift) -> Beast

Although on the trail map, Beast is unmarked and can be a bit tricky to find. You want to start at the corner of Riva Ridge and UMass (look for the Riva Ridge sign), following the tracks under the zip line wires. Then follow the first set of tracks that branch off to the right. Eventually you will find yourself at the top of a steep very narrow trail heading straight down through the woods. The current trail map does not depict it accurately, here is a better representation from a couple years ago:

View attachment 50339

View attachment 50340

thanks, appreciate that intel. it looks like a place that has a ton of potential with a good amount of marked glades and less marked bike trails, but that we really need a kick ass snow cycle like we're in the midst of for it to be worth the visit, because the top elevation isn't even 2000 feet. I'm stoked to check it out. i have a reservation at Windham and berkshire east for Monday and i intend to cancel the windham unless some real fucky weather transpires sunday.

and ya, i am quickly coming to dislike afternoon lift tickets. bolton recently on a Saturday was super chill from 9-1 and then at 1 o'clock HORDES arrived.

this isn't worthy of its own thread, but since i'm actively chatting here I'll add that when it snowed big in nyc last week, i skied this hill that connects my neighborhood in Brooklyn Heights to dumbo and the bk bridge waterfront below. it was 90 vertical feet and i hiked it 5 times. there were 3 snowboarders, who had built two jumps, and one other skier. when i was done i skinned up on streets with less steep and pronounced hills. it was a bucket list item to actually ski in nyc. and i tracked it and added 400 vert to my season total. :ROFLMAO:

2Planker

BE has had HUGE benefits from all the travel restrictions. I know a ton of Bostonians who have bailed on VT/NH/ME

skef

Not the weekend, but Wednesday morning (yesterday) at Wachusett... >= 10 minutes in the singles line. Blah.

Attachments

• IMG_0662.jpg
    IMG_0662.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 18

Mum skier

Not the weekend, but Wednesday morning (yesterday) at Wachusett... >= 10 minutes in the singles line. Blah.
I reckon that Wachusetts is also having a good year and has gained from the travel restriction. And doubling up each day by having separate morning and afternoon tickets. To give them credit they manage to blow snow earlier in the season than most others and I think were first to open this year.

urungus

machski

So far I am liking this peak weekend at Sunday River. Barker was ski on until 10, bit of a line now but much lighter than most weekends have been. And day tickets are supposedly sold out today/tomorrow. I think they may be cutting themselves short on these blackout days ticket-wise, but it is nice.

KustyTheKlown

So far I am liking this peak weekend at Sunday River. Barker was ski on until 10, bit of a line now but much lighter than most weekends have been. And day tickets are supposedly sold out today/tomorrow. I think they may be cutting themselves short on these blackout days ticket-wise, but it is nice.

i peaked at sugarbush and berkshire east webcams at 10 am and things looked downright calm.

drjeff

Finally starting to build (10:30ish) at Mount Snow in the main base area. A light morning with beautiful conditions and weather for sure!

Already have 15k vertical in since 7:30, and honestly I was hoping to be able to get 10k in by now based on what I expected the crowds to be.

No complaints from myself, my wife, and the 5 others we're skiing with today about the crowds thus far

snoseek

Maybe people are skipping out under the assumption of super long lines? I know I'm skipping monday and waiting till tuesday to ski. I think tomorrow will peak maybe

slatham

General 3 day weekend effect. Casual skier doesnt feel the urgency to get out early on Sat as they would a 2 day weekend.
Spot on, and it’s cold (at least looking at thermometer). Got out at 8:30 for a bakers dozen of runs. As usual HSQ had lines starting around 9:30, Blue Ribbon around 10:30, Sun and Alpine were minor when I bailed at 10:45 or so. Parking lot at 3/4 so lines are due to singles and doubles etc which makes slopes mellow. Done for the day - probably going for an uncrowded snowshoe.

cdskier

i peaked at sugarbush and berkshire east webcams at 10 am and things looked downright calm.

I skied 4 hours straight at ME (8-12) this morning. Longest line I waited in was 2 minutes at GMX one time. North Ridge was ski on the whole time. Summit was ski on the couple times I took it. Parking lot was maybe 2/3 full at most when I left. No wind so the cold temps weren't an issue at all. Significantly less people than last weekend. Will be interesting to see what happens tomorrow and Monday though. As has already been said, perhaps some people didn't feel any urgency to get out today since it is a long weekend (or even a full week here for some people).

Edit - to add there are definitely at least a few people that expected it to be crowded so didn't rush out (I know this from talking to a guy in my condo parking lot as I was getting back who was just going out for the afternoon and was a little surprised when I told him how empty it was this morning).