• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Whaleback 1/10...Love this little place.

Tin

Hit up the Whale on our way home. $20 a person and I just wanted to see what it was all about. Snow was great, only had a few ways down but perfect cord and soft snow. All I can say is I cannot wait to go back when they get more trails open. This is a crazy steep hill and we really loved the atmosphere. My girlfriend and I both joked that the intermediate trails on the way down were steeper than anything at Stratton. Her phone app recorded a 24* slope on one (I think it is pretty accurate, had Superstar Headwall at 27* and F.I.S. at Sugarbush at 30*). The Face and other trails looked really steep. The wooded areas we could see looked like they would be terrific later in the year and are nice and narrow.

Super affordable and a great time out. If you live nearby and are sick the of usual places check it out once they get more going. They are part way through with the new deck and were blowing snow on The Face when we arrived. It's only a half hour longer trip from us than Crotched so I think the next good storm we will check it out.

Blowing snow on The Face. Looked close to ready after a few passes with the groomer.
The Face.jpg

......jpg

Belly Up. As you can see super narrow and tight. It looked to have a nice ledge going across it from the chairlift.
Belly Up.jpg

Jawbone, just disappears from the top. From the road it looked steeper than The Face.
Jawbone.jpg

Little bastards...one funny edit from a little perv.
Little Bastards....jpg

jack97

when they get more snow, check out YOOYM (your out of your mind), its the trail just before bellyup

xwhaler

Jawbone is awesome.....as is blowhole, the face and YOOYM is an awesome glade. Whaleback packs so much diverse terrain across limited acerage. They rely heavily on natural so it's not often they are 100% open but when they are on its great. Awesome access off the highway,best terrain in Central/So NH, and a great value. Glad you enjoyed your visit Tin!

Sent from my VS980 4G using AlpineZone mobile app

Cornhead

You guys are making me wish I'd used a voucher I had last year. I can't remember where it came from, Mountain Sports Club, maybe? I thought about using it on my way home from the AZ Summit. Sounds like a great, affordable, local's mountain. Looks like easy access from the highway. Is there an exit close, or is it like Bolton Valley? It sounds like my kind of place.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Savemeasammy

Whaleback is great when they get snow. Tin - Jawbone has a steep pitch, but it's not that long and it's wide. Still a good run. I think that Blowhole and the Face are more of a challenge. The face gets the man made, and can be icy. They have been seeding bumps on the lower face. Pretty sweet. Yoom was not a trail when I skied there as a kid, but I look forward to skiing it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jack97

The face gets the man made, and can be icy. They have been seeding bumps on the lower face.

When Evan was running the place and coaching the freestyle, he never seeded lower face. The course was made by short turns, he would set the pace and the team would follow his line. He thought is was a good drill.

Savemeasammy

When Evan was running the place and coaching the freestyle, he never seeded lower face. The course was made by short turns, he would set the pace and the team would follow his line. He thought is was a good drill.

Fair enough. I guess that I was taking a bit of poetic license with the term seeding. However, they had a nice, rhythmic course that was set up intentionally... The upper part of the face is the same snowplow-induced mogul mess!

As an aside, the whale is still running the c.o.r.e. program. I had assumed that Evan was still running it... I will have to ask my friend who works there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

soxfan2

Evan spent the weekend making a course for our Event we just had Monday. The course has now been groomed out. Face is the next project- we also have Masters of the Mountain which is February 11th, I believe (yeah, this is why I have to miss the freaking Summit just to watch Ford Sayer beat the shit out of my kids on every run. I'm VERY depressed…)

Even still coaches for Core…..

PUB is open!!! Will be back with more info soon…..