• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Whaleback reopening

SIKSKIER

This might have been posted before .Sorry if I'm repeating.

After emerging from a mountain of debt, the Whaleback ski area plans to open in a limited capacity on Monday. The ski area in Enfield was more than $1 million in debt when it shut down in March. Since then, the nonprofit Upper Valley Snow Sports Foundation purchased it, and had hoped to open for the season on Saturday. Foundation board member Peter Krass told the Valley News that Jan. 20 is the target date for having all of Whaleback’s runs covered with snow and open, and the lodge kitchen at full strength. General manager Dick Harris said Whaleback will start with one run and the learning area covered in snow and will offer half-price, $20 tickets until it reaches full capacity.

Good for them. The Whale is one of the best sub 1000' vert mountains in the east. Amazing diversity from trail to trail for such a small hill.

canobie#1

Never been to Whale back but if a hotel eventually opens up at Ragged, I will surely take a day to explore that place.

canobie#1

That's what I thought too. But a day trip from rhode island is a bit of a stretch.

Savemeasammy

Yes, this news has made the rounds! They have had a number of misfires regarding the opening date for this season. The latest attempt is supposed to be today. As of 8:00 am there is no word on their website or Facebook page. I think the first time they fired up the guns was last week. I have a number of friends who are passholders, and they are not happy. I can't blame them...!

Once fully open, it is a decent little ski area that is worth a shot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MadMadWorld

This might have been posted before .Sorry if I'm repeating.

After emerging from a mountain of debt, the Whaleback ski area plans to open in a limited capacity on Monday. The ski area in Enfield was more than $1 million in debt when it shut down in March. Since then, the nonprofit Upper Valley Snow Sports Foundation purchased it, and had hoped to open for the season on Saturday. Foundation board member Peter Krass told the Valley News that Jan. 20 is the target date for having all of Whaleback’s runs covered with snow and open, and the lodge kitchen at full strength. General manager Dick Harris said Whaleback will start with one run and the learning area covered in snow and will offer half-price, $20 tickets until it reaches full capacity.

$20 until it reaches full capacity? I wonder how many trails that means. I will definitely be checking it out this year to try out a new mountain and to support little guys.

dlague

We drove by it yesterday and it looked like two at best which are the outer trails and a small beginner area. They were actually giving lessons to a bunch of younger kids at skiers left at the base.

xwhaler

Spout to Bogainvillea is their main route and is a fun fast groomer. When the snow is good and jawbone, the face, YOOYM, and blowhole are open it skis way bigger than its vertical and views from,the highway would suggest.
Give it a try,fun place to make turns!

Sent from my VS980 4G using AlpineZone mobile app

soxfan2

I have a friend who is skiing there today. I am curious to hear what she has to say.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

;) Spent the morning at Whaleback. One run open. We are supposed to get really cold weather this week so they will blow, also a huge storm coming through this weekend. This is my third season (I just learned to ski at age 38- my kids are good skiers and my husband insisted ALL of us ski...) and here is some info on the mountain:

1. It is small. Mad small. When there is not natural snow cover, there are 3 trails open. Tops. The snow-making capacity is just not there. Ragged is what I would recommend if snow cover is sparse- they are very close…

2. NO frills. I mean NO frills. There weren't even seat covers on the chair lift today. They are under new management and I get that there are wrinkles to be ironed out. But Jesus, put the damn seat covers on…. The kitchen is decent, bar is awesome. Chairs are chairs. Tables are tables. You come there to ski. Because you're not getting much more…

3. Make sure if you have small kids, you ride the lift with them. They do NOT put the bar down for little kids. I've shat my pants on many occasions where my 6 year old went up without someone operating the lift putting the bar down. He can lift it, but not put it down.

That's pretty much all I have to share at this time. I have a soft spot for this mountain. I learned to ski there, and my kids love it. It is a small, laid-back mountain and it's worth the money. It's definitely a "love it" or "hate it" experience….

bigbob

As I drove south on I 89 this afternoon I did see a few skiers gliding down the slopes!

Quietman

Make sure if you have small kids, you ride the lift with them. They do NOT put the bar down for little kids. I've shat my pants on many occasions where my 6 year old went up without someone operating the lift putting the bar down. He can lift it, but not put it down.

Having been a liftie, I would strongly recommend that you ask the lift attendant before heading down the ramp to lower the bar for your child. The attendant doesn't know which kids can or can't do it themselves. A simple "Can you please lower the bar for them?" should work every time.

Tin

Can't wait to ski it this year. The steepness seen from the highway surprised me. Looks to have that old New England feel to it.