• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

What do you consider an early season 'opening'?

Greg

Staff member
Do you consider one upper mountain trail with downloading opening? Do you consider opening for a weekend early, and then shutting down 'open for the season'? Do you consider the Mount Snow jib park as 'open'? Do you consider the thing Woodbury offers as 'open'? Do you even care about any of this? :lol:

Personally, I'll arbitrarily set the limit as a 500 vertical foot WROD as being open. Shoot, I ski primarily at a place that doesn't have a helluva lot more than 500 vert anyway....

Vortex

Lift service beyond a beginner trail. Good for Mt snow, but not all are into park stuff.

K use to open and close often early season. Working on any window they had to be open. SR is doing that know with a weekend approach..

tjf67

When I can ride a lift up and ski down I consider the place open. Even if I can't ski all the way down.

Riverskier

Open= Lift served skiing beyond a bunny slope or jib park.

Open for the season= Operating at least on weekends from opening day forward. The same would go for determining a closing date. Weekend only operation counts. You can give a special nod to the mountain that is the first to open daily or last to close daily, but in my opinion, weekly operation= open.

WWF-VT

"Opening" is just what Sunday River and My Snow just did. Limited terrain and time knowing that they weren't open for the season.

"Early season opening" in my opinion means that the lifts are running and terrain is being added on a daily basis. Mid to late November is still early for a lot of mountains.

UVSHTSTRM

Are we fing serious............with that theory we should have a lifts located in our living rooms that take us directly to the top for it to really count. Sunday River opening first is cool, congrats, Killington not opening first is no biggy as they have a plan that will lead to a multiple trail opening, weather provided. Dont' get me wrong I kind of got the vibe they would try for an opening this past week, but they didn't, who cares not a big deal. The only people it is a big deal to is those people who are obsessed with stats.......which many of the Killington die hards are, whether true or not. Bottom line, stop trying to deminish what Sunday River did, don't burn Killington at the stake for what they did not do and don't try to question whether Sunday River was the first to open or not......... they were period. These type of openings were always good enough for Killington to claim first to open.

bvibert

Staff member
Open is having a lift running and snow to slide down on, whether it's all the way to the bottom or not. Type and length of trail does not matter.

Open for the season is opening at least on the weekends for the season.

Riverskier

"Opening" is just what Sunday River and My Snow just did. Limited terrain and time knowing that they weren't open for the season.

"Early season opening" in my opinion means that the lifts are running and terrain is being added on a daily basis. Mid to late November is still early for a lot of mountains.

No direspect to Mt. Snow, any skiing in October is great! I applaud their efforts. However, I don't think it is fair to compare their opening, or opening strategy to Sunday River's. For a week straight, Sunday River blew snow just about every possible minute on almost 1500 vertical feet of terrain. They expended considerable resources and their intent anyway is to be open for the season. Simply operating weekends only. Again, not taking antything away from them, but Mt. Snow blew a big patch on the bunny slope, expending very little resources (in comparison anyway), and most likely knowing that it will melt and not having any intentions of staying open.

Vortex

No direspect to Mt. Snow, any skiing in October is great! I applaud their efforts. However, I don't think it is fair to compare their opening, or opening strategy to Sunday River's. For a week straight, Sunday River blew snow just about every possible minute on almost 1500 vertical feet of terrain. They expended considerable resources and their intent anyway is to be open for the season. Simply operating weekends only. Again, not taking antything away from them, but Mt. Snow blew a big patch on the bunny slope, expending very little resources (in comparison anyway), and most likely knowing that it will melt and not having any intentions of staying open.

To add to this Sr made a small park serperate from the main trail with a couple of rails. snow was made on that area for the park only.

Newpylong

As much as I hate to say it, Mount Snow in my opinion does not count with the bunny slope. Sunday River I think counts for sure...

deadheadskier

Staff member
Sunday River and Mt. Snow opened this weekend. While jibbing is not my thing, even if it were a bit extended with sweet jumps, I'm certainly not the authority to say that Sunday River was open this weekend and Mt. Snow was not just because SR had my terrain type preference.

skiadikt

both get kudos. just ask the 1000 folks who rode mt snow this weekend if they were open or not. not enough terrain for me but if you get that many peeps guess you're open. sunday river hit it out of the park imho.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Technically correct on both accounts. Hard to argue really! I still think you have to look at Mt. Snow's and Sunday River's openings in some sort of different context though.

Sunday River certainly put in a larger effort to have terrain to appeal all types of skiers and riders.

Vortex

Some places bring in ice over the summer and have rail Jams too. Props to them also. I think what Mt snow did was great, but not open to me. To each their own.

WWF-VT

Kudos to both mountains for being "open" this weekend though it's still a long way before either can say they are open for the season.

Mildcat

The lifts are running, anyone can buy a ticket to ride the lifts, and there is snow to slide down on, I don't understand the question. How can anyone say that's not open? :argue: I'm not the brightest bulb on the circuit but even I get something as simple as that.

If resort "A" is selling tickets to the public and has the lifts running and snow to ski on then resort "A" is open.

If resort "B" is not selling tickets, not running the lifts even thought there's plenty of snow, and the patrons of resort "B" are at home whining on internet forums about it then that means resort "B" is not open.

C'mon people, it's not that difficult to understand. :dunce: