• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

What music are you listening to right now?

Smellytele

I don't listen ,I Play my axe .

Last nite played the 2112 album,it's a Rush (pun intended)

hadn't played it in like 5 years ,love it bcuz I get to use beaucoup special effects in my effects generator to mix the sound

Now to keep everyone happy in the hood 😏I play thru the headset and set up the axe thru the stomp box generator when playing after dark , my Vox amp is over 100 amps so that's held in reserve for daytime use 😁
I used to be in a band after high school and we did overture and the temples of syrinx. I actually sang. Couldn’t hit the high notes now.

Warp Daddy

I used to be in a band after high school and we did overture and the temples of syrinx. I actually sang. Couldn’t hit the high notes now.

Love playing that 20 minute first track including Syrinx.

Hell only a Eunuch or Geddy can sing that high 🤣🤣 chit.

jimk

How many pop songs are a loving tribute to playground basketball? Here's a good one by Bruce Hornsby with some help from Bonnie Raitt:

BTW, Bruce is 6'4" and was a very good HS basketball player. He comes from southern VA, a source of some pretty good players over the years like Allen Iverson and Moses Malone. He has a son that played college basketball. Rainbow's Cadillac is about a legendary playground player from Bruce's youth.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Been obsessed with this version of Purple Rain this week. You'd be hard pressed to find a better 16 minute live music performance ever. His guitar work is other worldly. I don't even think Hendrix could have pulled off such a dynamic and soulful performance.

BodeMiller1

KISS, later on I might listen to Mini- KISS. Trying to get mentally prepared for the up coming ski season.

Attachments

• KISS.jpg
    KISS.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 0

jimk

Listening to some old school folk music by Gordon Lightfoot (RIP):
A terrific older telemarker dude that I ski with out here was a sailor on the Great Lakes around the time of this ship sinking. Worked on the same kind of boats hauling iron ore.

ThatGuy

Love me some Lightfoot, RiP. The line “does anyone know where the love of God goes, when the waves turn the minutes to hours” is great (along with the rest of the song). Fun fact, that was a one take song where he told the drummer he’d give him a nod when to kick in. It really adds to the effect and impact of the song with the instrumental picking up right when the storm is hitting.

The story of the Edmund Fitzgerald gives me serious thalassophobia (as do most boat sinking stories). It was only 100’ shorter than the Titanic. Water has some serious power that can’t be underestimated.

BodeMiller1

Love me some Lightfoot, RiP. The line “does anyone know where the love of God goes, when the waves turn the minutes to hours” is great (along with the rest of the song). Fun fact, that was a one take song where he told the drummer he’d give him a nod when to kick in. It really adds to the effect and impact of the song with the instrumental picking up right when the storm is hitting.

The story of the Edmund Fitzgerald gives me serious thalassophobia (as do most boat sinking stories). It was only 100’ shorter than the Titanic. Water has some serious power that can’t be underestimated.

One of the best songs ever written. Dark haunting lyrics the line you pointed out "Does anyone know..."
History will remember the life of Lightfoot as a tragedy.

crank

Just heard a good live version of Neil Young playing The Needle and the Damage Done. Sad and beautiful song.

I've always really liked Neil's percussive guitar playing.

jimk

This tune has been an earworm for me for two days; nostalgic, sad, beautiful:

ThatGuy

This tune has been an earworm for me for two days; nostalgic, sad, beautiful:
Love that song, might be my favorite on the record. Its pitch shifted up to give it a more youthful sound. You can look up the original version on YouTube before the key change. Pet Sounds is a fantastic album, the instrumentation is far ahead of its time and as always the harmonies are ethereal. Crazy that in less than two years you got Rubber Soul, Pet Sounds, Revolver and Sgt. Peppers.

jimk

Love that song, might be my favorite on the record. Its pitch shifted up to give it a more youthful sound. You can look up the original version on YouTube before the key change. Pet Sounds is a fantastic album, the instrumentation is far ahead of its time and as always the harmonies are ethereal. Crazy that in less than two years you got Rubber Soul, Pet Sounds, Revolver and Sgt. Peppers.
As a ten to twelve year old kid I lived in the Los Angeles area 1964-66. Back then, as you can imagine, the Beach Boys were as big or bigger than the Beatles in California. But over the decades I got tired of their juvenile hot rod songs and kind of dismissed them. About ten years ago I went to a live Beach Boys concert (the Mike Love band). They had some fresh blood helping with vocals/harmonies and it was a really fun and fairly long show. At the same time the Brian Wilson bio pic Love and Mercy came out and I saw it with my wife. These things rekindled my interest in the band, especially for all the non-hot rod songs.