• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

What the heck is going on at Magic?

rocks860

Drove by today on my way up to sugarbush. Certainly looks like they could use some serious snow but I'll be there at some point, gotta use these vouchers

Do Work

Drove by today on my way up to sugarbush. Certainly looks like they could use some serious snow but I'll be there at some point, gotta use these vouchers

While I'll agree the rocks look scary, I am really enthused by teh quality of the base that is down now. The entire mountain got skied this past weekend. Every trail I saw was skied enough to be packed right down (not skied out- there's a difference!). Unofficially of course, but the consistency and depth is there to keep you off the dirt and rocks already. We just need something on top of it to be able to truly enjoy it. It's very close though. The general consensus seems to be 6" of creamy and every trail would have sufficient cover. 12" and the trees would be 100%.

So while yes, it needs more snow to open more terrain it is actually closer than you would think. Also, it's rare that ALL the rocks are covered, so don't let them peeking out keep you away if you're driving towards it on 11.

Sunshine Corner will be open this coming weekend barring any shitnadoes, and that is always synonymous with high quality shenanigans. I can't wait for the first Sunshine Corner beers of 2016!!

Sorcerer

It was also good to see work continue on the black chair Saturday and Sunday. I think they are out there today as well but haven't been outside yet to verify.

The guy working on is is from Colorado (he services the east) and has been working on it for awhile. I think he is staying at the Upper Pass Lodge. He said he'd be finished in a week to 10 days (from 1/22/16).

slatham

There may be some snow brewing for the weekend. Right now looking to be on the minor side but some models hint at more. We need more!

yeggous

There may be some snow brewing for the weekend. Right now looking to be on the minor side but some models hint at more. We need more!

I remain optimistic for personal mental health reasons. We're staying at the Upper Pass Lodge this weekend. We're planning to ski Bromley and Mount Snow though. We got cheap Bromley tickets through our ski club, and free Mount Snow tickets with our Granite Pass.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

prsboogie

The value card should come loaded with one free ticket at Mt Snow, just like Vert. Value card does

prsboogie

As I understand it, if you go to Mt Snow with your pass they will give you a value card (what ever they call it there).

yeggous

I went to the Mt Snow booth at the ski expo and go one of their discount cards. I specifically asked and was told that is comes preloaded with a ticket. At the ski expo both the girl working the Mt Snow booth and management at Wildcat confirmed this. I called the Mt Snow season pass office yesterday afternoon to confirm that the card still had a free ticket.

As for the benefits page, earlier in the season the Crotched page clearly stated that pass holder get a free discount card. And the discounts card come with a free ticket. I connected the dots.

The Peak Resorts corporate policy page was posted after the Hunter acquisition. Before that time this policy was an open secret, but the acquisition inspired a lot of people from mid-atlantic and New York to inquire. I got my card at the expo before the acquisition was announced. I am not sure if they have changed the rules in the interim.

As DHS has stated, free is sufficient motivation to spend a day there. I wouldn't pay or use one of my Ski VT vouchers. Given that I am accustomed to skiing New Hampshire and northern Vermont, I anticipate being miserable and feeling like cattle. I am allergic to lift lines and slow lifts.

Newpylong

Like most large areas on weekends stay off the main lifts there (ie with Express in the name) and it won't be bad. They have a sufficient secondary lift system with rarely a line on the North Face or Sunbrook.

RustyGroomer

being miserable and feeling like cattle. I am allergic to lift lines and slow lifts.

If Magic is decent, i'll let you know here. We had a great time last weekend. All to ourselves sadly. I get it but seems silly to be staying right there & not give it a possibility.