• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

What the heck is going on at Magic?

skithetrees

If there is any inclination of selling the mountain, black must be functioning....

Disagree. First thing I would do is rip that out. Well no, first thing would be a beginner chair. Then rip that out and replace.

Abominable

Can you do both? (sort of) Take out Black, and use it to replace/complete Phoenix?

Yeah, this always confused me. I love Magic, but don't have the history with the place that you guys do. I've had some GREAT days there in the past couple years though.

To me, Black is so redundant and unnecessary (in terms of where it is and where it goes, I mean). And the green line is so obvious for a lower half / beginner option. Why did they remove green line and why / when did they put in black?

Sacrilege to say this, but if I was super rich and owned the place I'd put a lift with more uphill capacity for the main lift, and a green line, and I think that would service the whole mountain just fine, and I don't think it'd ever get too crowded or too skied.

Ski Till I Die

Website
www.skitillidie.com
Well... when it's 50 degrees in Feb it doesnt really matter.

Seriously though... who wouldnt pay extra to do this?!

SNOWCAT_Large.jpg

rtjcbrown

Yeah, this always confused me. I love Magic, but don't have the history with the place that you guys do. I've had some GREAT days there in the past couple years though.

To me, Black is so redundant and unnecessary (in terms of where it is and where it goes, I mean). And the green line is so obvious for a lower half / beginner option. Why did they remove green line and why / when did they put in black?

Sacrilege to say this, but if I was super rich and owned the place I'd put a lift with more uphill capacity for the main lift, and a green line, and I think that would service the whole mountain just fine, and I don't think it'd ever get too crowded or too skied.

Agreed. You could also get the Greenline/Phoenix covered with snow and open quicker and easier than what there is now.

drjeff

I have to think that you couldn't take the Black or Red out and move it over to where the Green was until you get a new/newer, far more likely to be reliable top to bottom lift.

Heck, one of the reasons why many want the Black up and operational again is because in the back of their minds, they realize that while the Red is running fine now, the reality is the Red isn't the most reliable lift, and if it has a mechanical issue, it could be down for a while, and that is the last thing Magic needs!!!

zoomzoom

there is no way a Pohli/Yan lift built in 1962 would pass todays' B77 Standard if relocated, it is currently grandfathered. just let it go.

Hado226

When Magic shutdown 20ish years ago, all the lifts worth relocating were sold.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

slatham

Black's primary purpose is for back up should there be an issue with Red. Also, when the conditions are good over a holiday period (especially with Races) Black is needed to for capacity reasons.

No way you can move Black. We'll be lucky to have it run where it stands.

Phoenix lift is an enigma. One key justification is to be able to open quicker due to less snowmaking required. But if the lift costs $200k to finish (this is an off the cuff number with no basis in reality - for demonstration purposes only) would't it make more sense to spend $200k on snowmaking improvements that would allow a quick top to bottom opening, add terrain quickly, recover from thaws, etc? I've personally thought finishing Phoenix was a good idea, but when I look at it vs. added snowmaking capacity, especially in a year like this one, I'm for snowmaking.

But I did't win powerball and neither of the above are options for current management so its moot. But a guy can dream.....

zoomzoom

always thought placing a leased or used carpet mid-slope to serve beginner skiers/riders and tubers would make some sense. it's tough to learn boarding on a cable tow, and the red unload is terrifying for new riders. sell both cable tows.

then remove the half-finished borvig (too expensive to refurb now) and install a tee-bar up the phoenix line. use the existing line and return concrete, certainly massive enough. inexpensive, no refurb of hydraulic tension, aux engine, motor/gearbox that's been sitting uncovered, how's that new cable? with a tee bar, no rope evac concerns, cheaper elec drive, ctw tension. no ndt costs, no grip relocation/slip testing, etc. simple. but would need to fab a log bridge or other inexpensive bridge over the stream, about 2/3 up slope. go to northeast slopes and watch young boarders ride the tee bar, easy. sell the phoenix for scrap.

i wouldn't bother with the black at all. getting pretty expensive, cut the losses and scrap it. not needed.

Keelhauled

I can't imagine how Phoenix could be anything but good as dead...the machinery in the bottom terminal has been exposed to the elements for how long now? And how much is in storage? I mean, if they don't have a haul rope, that's probably the better part of that 200k right there. Needs sheaves too, plus chairs. Plus controls. I guess the towers would still be good, and maybe the top terminal.

If I owned the place I'd scrap all the lifts and use the check as a down payment on a new fixed grip quad to the top. If you can't get people up the mountain nothing else matters. At the very least rebuild Red like MRG has done to the single and Sunnyside.

skithetrees

Back in the day before the closure both black and red were absolutely necessary. To truly thrive, magic would return to those days. When I say beginner, I mean the old beginner area, not blue. Blue would be a waste of time and come way after a new black m, beginner chair, pipes, pond, lodge improvements, etc. now to really play arm chair warrior, I would run black to the bottom of witch. There is some great terrain over there, even for intermediates that is really under utilized. Then, lift from bottom of talisman to the topish of slide of Hans, but a couple hundred yards up wizard and on the true peak for experts to lap. Will it ever happen, no. But my powerball plan.

yeggous

After seeing the crowds everywhere else in southern Vermont, I do not understand how the mountain isn't profitable. Throw up a detachable lift and hotel and you can't miss.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

benski

If I owned the place I'd scrap all the lifts and use the check as a down payment on a new fixed grip quad to the top. If you can't get people up the mountain nothing else matters. At the very least rebuild Red like MRG has done to the single and Sunnyside.

The single chair refurbishment was more expensive than replacing it with a new chair lift. The only reason they refurbished it was to keep the character.

Keelhauled

The single chair refurbishment was more expensive than replacing it with a new chair lift. The only reason they refurbished it was to keep the character.

Yeah, well, I figure the character argument would be the primary one for keeping Red. So kind of analogous.