• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

What would you do?? - Magic Mtn Edition

AdironRider

You guys are just as bad as current management. 300k to completely gut and renovate a lodge is probably 1/10 the actual cost it would take.

Do Work

You guys are just as bad as current management. 300k to completely gut and renovate a lodge is probably 1/10 the actual cost it would take.

Lol a full lodge gutjob and a full commercial kitchen upgrade for $30k? You need to lay off the HGTV dude, shit gets expensive FAST.

Also I'd rather overestimate than underestimate. It's the safe bet. Sure you *could* shore up a few loose ends with $30k but for REAL upgrades it's going to cost more. Significantly more. This is a daydream thread, not reality. That's important to remember!

prsboogie

DW I think he may be saying YOUR 300K estimate is cheaping it out and only 1/10 of what should be spent on a Reno

slatham

Do Work, I think AR meant that $300k was equal to 1/10th the cost, as he thinks the real cost is $3 million. I am sure you could spend $3m, but I doubt that much is necessary, but I do agree that $300k probably doesn't get the lodge to where it needs to be. But nobody knows until you get a contractor to look at things and put a number down.

WoodCore

$300K would do wonders for the base lodge experience although its not high on my priority list, I'd rather spend that $ on the snow-making budget. While you do need to spend a little money to make the lodge safe and serviceable, why bother with a major base renovation until you have a consistent "on hill" product.

slatham

Good point WC, but from what I heard and have seen a new roof is a must. I am not in the know on what other items are also a"must" but my gut tells me there are at least a few.

ScottySkis

I would slowly invest in snow making by buying from closed hills used stuff. Then get more people in the place higher percentage in of money that comes put as most back into the hill as I can. Same thing with logde get best deals as possible from close d hills after s few season s maybe buy used chair that works replace the black. More people come then invest more in what is needed. Maybe close Monday to Thursday and and open when it holiday mid week. And powder days. That what owner if Platty has been doing for many years and it is working for him.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

steamboat1

Good point WC, but from what I heard and have seen a new roof is a must. I am not in the know on what other items are also a"must" but my gut tells me there are at least a few.

Pretty sure they put a new roof on the lodge already. I stopped by there a few weeks ago & kind of recall seeing a metal roof on the lodge. I could be mistaken though.

One thing I'd do though is fix the broken window on the bottom terminal of red. I hadn't been to Magic in years & that window was broken way back then. Makes the place look shabby.