• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

What's First? PTex or Wax?

skidmarks

The sound of p-tex

My first pair of skis that I bought when I worked in the shop was a pair of K2 Public Enemys with white bases. They were the worst skis ever to try and learn to P-Tex with. My bases looked like crap with all of the carbon mixed into them.

I do enjoy the smell of P-Tex burning. But absolutly hate the feel of it dripping on you!:x:smash:

When did you get your PEs ?

Dripping P-Tex makes that great "zip zip zip" sound.

But that was back in the early '80s. Soon after that came the P-Tex gun that used a much purer and harder base material. The stuff looked like a p-tex candle but you couldn't burn it. For the past 15+ years (different shops) I've been using a base repair tool called the Polyman. It uses a 3mm poly wire and does a real nice repair job.

So what shop was still burning and dripping P-Tex in this day and age? Were you working in some 3rd world country in the Peace Corp? Teaching the locals how to repair thier bases?

Hawkshot99

When did you get your PEs ?

Dripping P-Tex makes that great "zip zip zip" sound.

But that was back in the early '80s. Soon after that came the P-Tex gun that used a much purer and harder base material. The stuff looked like a p-tex candle but you couldn't burn it. For the past 15+ years (different shops) I've been using a base repair tool called the Polyman. It uses a 3mm poly wire and does a real nice repair job.

So what shop was still burning and dripping P-Tex in this day and age? Were you working in some 3rd world country in the Peace Corp? Teaching the locals how to repair thier bases?

I work in a ski shop. My shop does not do the tunes we bring in. We send them to our other store that has all of the machines and fancy tuning stuff. This P-texing was of my own skis that I took care of rather than sending them away. The P-tex I use is meant for the guns(like a hot glue gun) but I do not have one. So I lite it on fire and hold it very close to the base(blue flame). The PE's were 06-07 models..

skidmarks

I work in a ski shop. My shop does not do the tunes we bring in. We send them to our other store that has all of the machines and fancy tuning stuff. This P-texing was of my own skis that I took care of rather than sending them away. The P-tex I use is meant for the guns(like a hot glue gun) but I do not have one. So I lite it on fire and hold it very close to the base(blue flame). The PE's were 06-07 models..

You got it! Hold the p-tex over a metal scraper close so the flame stays blue and clean. Then move the scraper over the base and move the candle over the damage.

It's a long lost art form! We all used to have long hair so you'd always worry about burn't hair too.
And we'd be listening to Jeff Beck on 8 track to boot.