• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

What's going on (or not going on) at Gore??

JimG.

Staff member
Gore's snowmaking is certainly adequate. Nothing special either. None of the NYS mountains are anything special if they have to depend on their snowmaking.

Fact is, Gore (more than most ski areas) is at it's best with natural snow and this season there ain't none of that!

And in many ways the same can be said for Belleayre and Whiteface.

x10003q

Is that really true? Did a quick search and they seem to have invested a good deal into snowmaking over the past decade. Does anybody know how much of Gore is covered with snowmaking.

Gore claims 97% snowmaking coverage and has unlimited water from the Hudson River. They just need to add more pumping capacity to match up with the big boys in VT. Like most ski areas, Gore will close lifts midweek. Unfortunately, this leads to a lower trail count in some cases due to Gore's highly segmented trail layout.

Harvey

Website
nyskiblog.com
How about we stick to talking about skiing instead of whining about the government and taxes.

Apologies DHS.

FWIW Gore rarely maxes out their pumping capacity. Pumping capacity is around 9000 gpm, and when blowing at full bore they are normally pumping between 5500 and 6000.

Limits are on the ability to compress air, and pay for it.

mriceyman

Bellearye knows how to make snow. Whiteface seems to have figured it out. So that leaves management at Gore.

Cant put belleayre and gore in the same sentence snowmaking wise. Bell can be covered with about 10% of whats needed to cover gore

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
FWIW Gore rarely maxes out their pumping capacity. Pumping capacity is around 9000 gpm, and when blowing at full bore they are normally pumping between 5500 and 6000.

Really? 9,000gpm? That's a lot of capacity. A few low-e or fan guns could fix the air issue. 9,000gpm is huge... very surprised they have that much capacity.

Harvey

Website
nyskiblog.com
Yea, pumping is not the limit. And I believe that number is the "permitted" amount. (You are pumping from the Hudson, you can't just do whatever you want.)

Like I said I don't think they ever exceed 5500 or so, so that is the effective number.

Fan guns need electricity at every station and I doubt they are cheap. Plus on steep terrain I think you need to fix them on towers? Gore seems to add a few every year.

I'm not an expert, just a guy who's had access to those who know.

Bene288

Bellearye knows how to make snow. Whiteface seems to have figured it out. So that leaves management at Gore.

Gore has a few more MILES worth of water pipes to keep up, and several peaks to run it all to. Comparing the two is like comparing a bantam team to the Bruins. I'm never surprised at their trail count in seasons like these. They have a lot to cover and have never been big into snow making. The place isn't like Okemo or Stratton, it just doesn't ski well with man made.

There are plenty of conspiracy theorists that believe Whiteface gets all the love and resources.

VTKilarney

Yea, pumping is not the limit. And I believe that number is the "permitted" amount. (You are pumping from the Hudson, you can't just do whatever you want.)
I'm actually surprised that there is a limit to what they can take from the Hudson.

St. Jerry

Gore has a few more MILES worth of water pipes to keep up, and several peaks to run it all to. Comparing the two is like comparing a bantam team to the Bruins. I'm never surprised at their trail count in seasons like these. They have a lot to cover and have never been big into snow making. The place isn't like Okemo or Stratton, it just doesn't ski well with man made.

There are plenty of conspiracy theorists that believe Whiteface gets all the love and resources.

I've heard that Whiteface has a secret pipe that siphons off Gore's main water supply. Heard it from someone in the know at Casey's

JimG.

Staff member
Cant put belleayre and gore in the same sentence snowmaking wise. Bell can be covered with about 10% of whats needed to cover gore

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

And yet there is still some closed terrain at Belle.

Bene288

I'm actually surprised that there is a limit to what they can take from the Hudson.

I would guess the DEC and state are concerned about any ecological ramification pulling water from a river. Pretty different from a man made snow making reservoir. The Adirondack park has a ton of rules and regs on that front. Built some homes up there off the land and in certain spots I needed approval on every single tree to come down.

witch hobble

They've got one. NYSEF. Don't know that they chip in for snowmaking, but they are organizationally similar.

Harvey

Website
nyskiblog.com
Super fun day at Gore yesterday. Snow was really really nice.

Hullabaloo_-_1.jpg

Billy-Hullabaloo_-_1_%281%29.jpg

Matt-at-Gore_-_1.jpg

Mattchuck-Tahawas_-_1.jpg

Harvey

Website
nyskiblog.com
Not positive but I think there were three more pods this weekend vs last.

Gore midweek, it is what it is. If Gore was Stratton, well then Gore would be Stratton.

I'm thinking those who are closed tomorrow are making the right call.