• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

whats up with these go pro videos

Highway Star

The other guy at least skied away so that was a good sign. We were very fortunate to eject properly.

I dialed back my DIN from Type III to Type II after getting hit from behind by an out of control teenager last March at Wildcat. In that case one of my skis did not eject and I got an high ankle sprain. I missed skiing altogether for 3 weeks and wasn't able to ski the ungroomed for the remainder of the season. Let that be a lesson to everyone: if you've never pre-released then nothing good comes from being macho and claiming Type III.

Humm.....I just ski 2 points above a Type III+ and assume my skis won't come off in fall.

yeggous

Humm.....I just ski 2 points above a Type III+ and assume my skis won't come off in fall.

This kind of strategy worked for me as long as my falls were the result of loosing balance. It's a different story all together when you get hit from behind. When someone is standing on the back of your skis they have no give whatsoever. If your skis can't move and your bindings don't release then all the force of the fall will be directed at your ankles. Because the boot will keep them from rolling side to side, the force of the collision twists the leg inside of the cuff while your foot stays pointed forward.

wa-loaf

I picked up a contour2 for cheap this season. I've only used it a couple times to video the kids and one night of racing. I generally only post the videos with direct link, nobody else wants to see this stuff except a few relatives and friends. I would like to bust it out for some powder if I can actually time a trip with a storm before the season is out. I don't get filming groomers unless it's your kids for some reason.

polski

Website
twitter.com
I have to say, the day I feel compelled to loosen my bindings to account for the possibility of getting slammed by another skier is the day I quit skiing resorts, at least anyplace where I feel the risk of a collision is really that great.

I do like to watch POV of back/sidecountry that I'm interested in but otherwise it gets old fast, with rare exceptions that involve skillful editing and good music.

mriceyman

On mountain I like using it in the park and in the trees. Groomers are a waste of digital film lol. I also plan to use it in my real life work this summer as a way of advertising my business to other companies in hope to get work from them. I also drive with my gopro constantly running on my dashboard because you never know when something crazy will happen or when someone decides to drive like they are in Russia.

skiNEwhere

drjeff

My family has 3, a Hero2, a Hero 3 black and a contour GPS (my wife won the contour in a bib raffle at a triathlon and I got the Hero3 as a thank you from a supplier for work who we buy a bunch of our supplies from).

My 8yr old park rat son uses it the most. When my family goes on ski vacations, we break out all 3, and having one on each kid if they go off skiing together while my wife and I are on different terrain isn't a bad thing as it settled a "dispute" one time when my son said that my daughter skied off and left him in the trees looking for a ski that popped off in the powder. She said he had his ski on, the gopro's showed otherwise ;)

Other than that we've used them downhill mountain biking, zip lining and waterparking. In reality though, short of my son and his regular park wearing, we might use them a combined 10hrs a year

polski

Website
twitter.com
All right, via another board, THIS is some serious POV:

I once met a guy, Mike Holland, who for not quite half an hour held the world record for longest ski jump ever. He did it on that hill, Planica.

skiNEwhere

My family has 3, a Hero2, a Hero 3 black and a contour GPS (my wife won the contour in a bib raffle at a triathlon and I got the Hero3 as a thank you from a supplier for work who we buy a bunch of our supplies from).

Which one you like the most? I have a hero 2 that I've wanted to chuck across the Mtn at times

drjeff

Which one you like the most? I have a hero 2 that I've wanted to chuck across the Mtn at times

The 3 is definitely an upgrade over the 2 in features and resolution. The biggest plus is the WiFi controls via your smartphone and the gopro app IMHO. At the end of the day though the 3 is still a gopro and is 100% as capable as the 2 of taking hours of useless video that you end up just skipping over and editing out of the digital file! ;-)

Whitey

Have a hero 3+. I used it at Xmas to do underwater scuba videos in the Caribbean & then 2 weeks later was doing skiing videos in the mountains. Pretty cool. I have young teen kids & they like watching the videos at the end of the day. That's actually kind of fun but after a viewing or two most end up in the recycle bin.

One cool thing I got out of it is that my parents, who taught me how to ski & used to rip it up pretty good back in their day, no longer ski. They have never seen my boys ski & I was able to cherry pick a couple of the best videos and send them to them. They loved it. It was the only way they'd ever see their legacy in action & it was pretty cool to be able to do that.

I don't do any of the attachments. I just ski with mine in an outer pocket & when I want to video or take pics I just pull it out and shoot. I've done T-park videos where I ski thru with my boys and it came out OK just holding it in my hand as we ski down.

One tip - the lens is really wide angle. If you think you are close enough to your subject when you are shooting - you're not. Get as close as you can.

darent

do people actually go home and watch what they skied that day? seems to me like a good way to get a headache.

the fascination that people have with seeing images of themselves never stops amusing me. especially considering how silly you look with a camera strapped to your head.

go pro'ers, defend yourselves!
what about your surfing vids BWD, those 20 foot nantucket rollers!!

Cannonball

This is why:

That is a video of me getting taken out on Saturday at Cannon at the bottom of the Cannonball Quad. I got hit by a 70-year-old novice. Without GoPros how would I remember the experience?

Holy Crap! glad you are OK.

Having seen enough videos like this on this board, I know that it's only a matter of time before everyone concludes it was the snowboarder's fault.

2knees

Holy Crap! glad you are OK.

Having seen enough videos like this on this board, I know that it's only a matter of time before everyone concludes it was the snowboarder's fault.

:lol: You filling in for DMC?

Scruffy

This kind of strategy worked for me as long as my falls were the result of loosing balance. It's a different story all together when you get hit from behind. When someone is standing on the back of your skis they have no give whatsoever. If your skis can't move and your bindings don't release then all the force of the fall will be directed at your ankles. Because the boot will keep them from rolling side to side, the force of the collision twists the leg inside of the cuff while your foot stays pointed forward.

I'm not sure how someone with 58 days of skiing per season can make a statement like "falls were the result of loosing balance" But whatever, you'll get more hurt per-releasing as the one in a million chance of the getting into a situation you described where you hurt your ankle.

TheArchitect

I record my kids skiing as a part of our family history. We have video of vacations, family events, etc. so why not skiing as well? We don't post on Youtube and with the Liquid Image video goggles I use I don't look like a teletubby.

The POV videos I've taken of me skiing alone are boring and most are deleted after they're downloaded and viewed once.