• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

What's up with Waterville? Waterville Vs. Loon

gregnye

Anyone know whats up with Waterville? They used to be so on their snowmaking game (comparable to Loon) and now they are just struggling to get stuff open. Its like the new owners don't care about the mountain at all and just looking to sell it again.

I used to actually consider it better than Loon for expert skiing (that was before Loon added the South Peak). Now its kinda sucking. Considering its so close to Boston you would think that the place would be doing much better than it is.

I'm curious if Tenny will actually beat them in terms of visitors in the long-run (in the next like 5 years), considering its just one exit away on 93.

Also should we just give up on green peak? Anyone know the inside scoop on this??

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Its like the new owners don't care about the mountain at all and just looking to sell it again.

If I had a dollar for every time that's been said on this forum...

Yes, it's know the owners have given up and are looking to sell. Green Peak and the Village Gondola are selling points they're trying to stress, but they'll never build them with their own cash.

Haven't they owned the mountain for 5-10 years or so? Quick flip.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Sununu is focused on running for governor. The mountain is on the market. Apparently trail clearing on Green Peak has begun, but current plans only have them relocating the World Cup Triple over there instead of installing a new lift.

Wonder what the sale price is. Maybe Kurt Russell would be interested.

doublediamond

Anyone know whats up with Waterville? They used to be so on their snowmaking game (comparable to Loon) and now they are just struggling to get stuff open.

Loon invested millions of dollars in greater pumping capacity and 650+ HDK Impulse guns. Waterville has invested pretty much $0, and thier biggest snowmaking improvements was given to them by the ski club.

HD333

28 of 50 trails open at WV
34 of 61 trails open at Loon

56% open at each mountain.

We moved to WV this season and to me it seems like WV is doing enough to get by but not going all out, on and off the mountain. What snow they have had has been managed well.
Hopefully some natural will start fall regularly soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dlague

I wonder if the weather might have something to do with it? Just a hunch. Just point out we skied at WV on 11/28.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

xwhaler

Not sure why you considered WV to be the better advanced/expert mtn vs Loon.
Even w/o South Peak the North Peak at Loon>Sunnyside pod at WV IMHO.

WV needs to figure out their identity for sure.

Krikaya

I always wondered why WV wasn't more popular. Or at least as popular as Loon with intermediates. Impression I got from the dozen times I skied there is that it's NH's answer to Burke. It's like Burke cause the snotty local academy acted as if they owned the place. I can ignore the entitled prima donnas and focus on the terrain but something is missing there.

Maybe what they need is a name change. Worked wonders for Qburke. Since that megalomaniac Sununu owns the joint, howabout Swaterville or John's Valley or Sunvillevalley.

xwhaler

For a vertical that measures 2,020 WV has to ski the smallest of any 2k+' mtn in New England.
Its very narrow so you never feel like you are at an expansive mtn and there is very little tree skiing so once you do the groomers and lap the Sunnyside pod there is not much more to it.

And High Country lift is terrible, no real reason to ride that slow lift---it skis more like Gunstock than Loon/Cannon/Wildcat if we are talking just about NH.

abc

I always wondered why WV wasn't more popular. Or at least as popular as Loon with intermediates.
Loon is right off the freeway and day-trippable from Boston. I also found Lincoln a lot more pleasant village to hang out if the skiing doesn't quite deliver. Plus, I wonder if Loon is better known to the general public just for being at Lincoln, which is a hub for summer visitors.

WV needs to figure out their identity for sure.
Looking from a distant, I sure have trouble finding what that identity is. I've only skied there once on a freebie. It was a powder day but the snow was scraped off the groomers faster than a speeding bullet. What's underneath was much nastier than the neighboring mountains. So needless to say I never returned. (though the reason was only partly the snow, I had an even nastier experience at the ticket office trying to use my freebie)

Impression I got from the dozen times I skied there is that it's NH's answer to Burke. It's like Burke cause the snotty local academy acted as if they owned the place. I can ignore the entitled prima donnas and focus on the terrain but something is missing there.
THAT was the reason I never gave it another chance.

xwhaler

I try and enjoy something about every mtn I go to and certainly I have fun the day or 2 I ski WV every few yrs (usually on a cheap voucher)
Lapping the sunnyside pod on a warm sunny day in March I think is the ideal time to go to WV.
I guess my issue is more from a competitive standpoint---they have a big mtn peak to work with but have made very few changes in the last 25 yrs to improve the skiing experience.

While Loon, Cannon, even Ragged/Sunapee have made changes WV stands pat.
Perhaps they have enough season pass holders tied into condo ownership as well as overnight renters drawn to the village that they can break even w/o putting too much emphasis on growing the day trip market.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Waterville used to be the ski racing capital of New England. That was their identity. Used to have women's WC races there. During the 80s it was the busiest place in NH. It also had the "birth of freestyle" going for it in the 80s.

Once the racing went away, so did their popularity. Also at the same time, there was massive growth in terrain at VT areas like Stratton and Okemo. I'm sure those took huge market share.

I think if they get Green Peak done and rebrand themselves as a family, affordable resort; that could work as a new identity as the terrain is lacking for much of anything else. I recently heard a radio commercial where they were talking it up as Waterville "Value" resort with their El Nino pass they're pushing. Seems like a good strategy to attract Boston area skiers.

wtcobb

Loon is right off the freeway and day-trippable from Boston. I also found Lincoln a lot more pleasant village to hang out if the skiing doesn't quite deliver. Plus, I wonder if Loon is better known to the general public just for being at Lincoln, which is a hub for summer visitors.

Loon also gets the marketing dollars of Boyne whereas WV barely makes a peep all year.

doublediamond

But they need a HSQ to make Green Peak worthwile. Who is going to take a longer FG lift to ski trails parallel to a HSQ?

Jully

But they need a HSQ to make Green Peak worthwile. Who is going to take a longer FG lift to ski trails parallel to a HSQ?

No one. However, already approved and developed terrain can be seen as a selling point to future buyers. All a buyer would need to do now is just put up the cash for a HSQ.

Additionally owners can potentially raise ticket prices and use it as a marketing ploy, despite the terrain being useless.

JimG.

Staff member
This is exactly the reason I dont like trail count comparisons.Loon-256 acres open.WV-96
Not even close.

These are the years when areas like Loon and Hunter do well.

I agree with your acreage comp...Hunter has more open in the Cats than any other ski area by far.

HD333

For a vertical that measures 2,020 WV has to ski the smallest of any 2k+' mtn in New England.
Its very narrow so you never feel like you are at an expansive mtn and there is very little tree skiing so once you do the groomers and lap the Sunnyside pod there is not much more to it.

And High Country lift is terrible, no real reason to ride that slow lift---it skis more like Gunstock than Loon/Cannon/Wildcat if we are talking just about NH.

I agree with the smallness feeling especially coming from Okemo for the last few seasons and there is NO reason to ride the high country lift.

We used to ski WV way back in the day and gave it a shot for a seasonal rental this year. This year the skiing has taken a back seat so far due to weather and we have found the area pretty nice for hiking and have enjoyed the village area.

I am hoping for a big Feb/March.

I do think the condo ownership and ski racing program is what keeps WV in business. The BBTS team is all over the mountain and bars Après.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk