• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

When do you strip?

When do you strip the summer wax off?

• Total voters

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
Seriously... I have some rub-on wax and a small tuning kit Brian bought me (i haven't looked at the kit yet) plus I picked up a gummi stone the other day since Volklgirl told me that's a MUST HAVE. But I have never had summer wax put on my skis. 1 pair of skis is brand new and needs bindings mounted, so I'll have them slap a good coat of wax on that. 1 pair of skis wasn't tuned at all last year (and was new)... that should get a tune. The last pair was new and skied on one day for 3 runs, but I'm selling those, so no work will be done by me.

I know there are very different schools of thought on maintaining equipment. Honestly, I haven't owned equipment long enough or skied on it enough to see any real big differences in performance. But the rub-on wax is nice to have for in between tunes (though I think the time I tore my ACL was right after an at-home waxing :oops:). I'd like to learn more, but there's no space here to tune skis (like Brian already mentioned).

Hawkshot99

I do not summer wax them. i will tune my stuff the week before I use them.

I do all my tune ups while at work. One of the advantages of working at a ski shop!

o3jeff

Brian and Carrie, I think with the Sundown season pass you get free or discounted ski tunes at Ski Market in Avon

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
Brian and Carrie, I think with the Sundown season pass you get free or discounted ski tunes at Ski Market in Avon
According to the passholder agreement, it sounds like you get 1 free tune with each pass. Has anybody on here gotten their skis tuned there before? Curious about their track record...

bvibert

Staff member
Thanks Jeff, it does sound like it's one free tune, they're pretty far out of the way too. I couldn't be bothered to drop mine off at the Sundown tuning shop last year, and I walked right by it many many times a week. ;)

deadheadskier

Staff member
No summer wax. Skis go in a closet at the end of the year.

I'll have one tune done at the start of the year. I don't have space in my place to do tuning, so it will be a shop tune. I will be purchasing a hand file to touch up edges throughout the season. In the past four years I've been a one ski quiver guy outside of the couple of days a year I'd catch powder deeper than 8 inches where I use my old powder boards. This year, I'll be skiing two boards probably with an even split of time. That should help preserve the beginning of the season tune longer.

thinnmann

Website
skiingbelleayre.blogspot.com
Seems like every April I promise myself that I will put summer wax on the skis on some fictional evening "next week". Then it is warm outside and the days get longer and I never freakin' get it done. Next thing you know it's almost Thanksgiving I am pulling the fine layer of rust off the tails of 5 or 6 pairs of skis. And after a couple of hours of work, all the bases look like new again, ready to hold some edge on that Belleayre early morning groomer pebble and late-day ice.... ahh, my thighs tighten and feet lean on edge just thinkin' about it....

Warp Daddy

I do my own ski ski waxing , got a nice kit from Tognar tools two seasons ago . I like em sharp and well waxed. So i wax them every 3 days of skiing

hardline

Somewhere Between the Toeside and the Hellside
Which brings up another question.
Why hasnt' this thread been put in the Thread Titles with a witty answer thread?

actually wasn't really the intention. it didn't even dawn on me till like the third time i read the title. some times i am a little slow on the painfully obvious stuff.

No summer wax. Skis go in a closet at the end of the year.

I'll have one tune done at the start of the year. I don't have space in my place to do tuning, so it will be a shop tune. I will be purchasing a hand file to touch up edges throughout the season. In the past four years I've been a one ski quiver guy outside of the couple of days a year I'd catch powder deeper than 8 inches where I use my old powder boards. This year, I'll be skiing two boards probably with an even split of time. That should help preserve the beginning of the season tune longer.

you dont need a file just get 3 diamond stones and a arkansas stone and your edges will me sharp all season. the only time you need a file is to set the bevel on your edges. or after some nasty damage.

bvibert

Staff member
Just keep the economy going Brian, you're doing a great job by yourself:grin:

Someone's got to. All the cheapskates around here aren't helping.

Besides I wanted to make sure all the good folks at backcountry.com continue to have jobs. I know there's at least one former forum member who works there....