• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Where are the bumps?

sankaty

I skied the top of Birds of Prey several years ago, and it was one of the most harrowing ski experiences of my life. I was ready for it to be steep, but was not expecting it to have a flat, impenetrable, frictionless surface. Neither me nor my skis were prepared for that, and I think I'd still be sliding if I had fallen. I escaped to a blissfully soft bump run to skier's right at my first opportunity.

It was a warm day, and the rest of the mountain was so soft. Does BOP frequently have a race-ready surface even when no event or course is set up?

My few minutes on BOP have given me a huge amount of respect for the way racers carve at top speed down steep ceramic slopes.

kingslug

Was it after a race or nearly after? I've only been on it bumped up. Same as the Grizzly run at Snowbasin. Now that has a truly steep top part. 38 degrees straight down.
Western bumps runs are ..forever long. hmm which brings up an interesting thread to start.