• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

where did you NOT ski this season...

Tin

I'm kind of bummed I didn't make it to the Zoomer Bar and get in on some meow pow this year.

Smuggs is another one given some of the magic weeks they had this year. I love the terrain but being limited to runs due to their lifts on a powder day is frustrating, that said high-speed lifts would ruin the place.

slatham

Of the areas I typically ski, I missed Mt Ellen (I plan to get Lincoln peak this weekend). I had hoped to try Bolton given the Freedom Pass (from Magic). And I need to get to Wildcat and Sugarloaf - never skied them. And of course out West - its been a couple of years now.

mriceyman

Didnt hit k for the first time in awhile.. but i didnt get many chances to get there either.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Duncanator24

I wanted to spend at least a day or two at MRG since I am always at Sugarbush and its so close by. But dealing with the damn line for the single chair on a weekend is just not worth it. And there were not enough weekdays that happened to have good enough weather while I was up there. A shame since Mad River actually had some good snow this season!

gnardawg

Really missed

Cannon
Wildcat
Sugarbush
MRG (was hoping for some Good Friday CORN HORN action)
Burke

Duncanator24

You still have 1.5 months or more to rectify that!

Is it worth driving up to Ski K in May? I don't think there is anywhere else on the East Coast I can ski in May. And I am going to be going through some withdrawls by then.

Domeskier

Is it worth driving up to Ski K in May? I don't think there is anywhere else on the East Coast I can ski in May. And I am going to be going through some withdrawls by then.

Early May is great when Superstar is bumped up top to bottom. The later you go into May, the greater the chance you'll be skiing on a couple inches pushed around by groomers the night before, with no decent bumps and possible walking required. They had a ton of snow on SS this weekend, so I'm thinking it will be worth it at least until May 15. People who like variety in their skiing and don't enjoy hitting the same bump lines over and over again until their thighs give out will have different opinions, but late April into May on SS is something I look forward to every season.

VTKilarney

The best part about Wildcat is that it's difficult to get to for most people. Least crowded big mountain in New England these days; probably even less crowded than Burke. We are spoiled up there.
With all of the lodging in the MWV, do you really think that is true? If so, I would not have guessed it. Burke typically did 70-80k visits per year. Peaks must report their numbers somewhere, no?

EDIT: I just looked here: http://www.newenglandskihistory.com/NewHampshire/wildcatmtn.php

It looks like Wildcat and Burke are neck and neck. That is shocking to me. You are spoiled!

snoseek

With all of the lodging in the MWV, do you really think that is true? If so, I would not have guessed it. Burke typically did 70-80k visits per year. Peaks must report their numbers somewhere, no?

EDIT: I just looked here: http://www.newenglandskihistory.com/NewHampshire/wildcatmtn.php

It looks like Wildcat and Burke are neck and neck. That is shocking to me. You are spoiled!

It was wayyyy busier when I was a kid. Its pretty rare for any sort of lift line except maybe on a weekend powder day.

VTKilarney

It was wayyyy busier when I was a kid. Its pretty rare for any sort of lift line except maybe on a weekend powder day.
I'm just having a hard time reconciling that with the hundreds upon hundreds of beds in the area. I know that there are three ski areas in the North Conway area, but is skiing really that much less popular these days?

yeggous

Yes. This. Skiing Wildcat has given me an allergy to lift lines. I lose my mind.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

snoseek

I'm just having a hard time reconciling that with the hundreds upon hundreds of beds in the area. I know that there are three ski areas in the North Conway area, but is skiing really that much less popular these days?

Half of those beds are filled with outlet shoppers. I feel like the mwv is considerably busier in the summer time. The ease of access of I93 is a big draw for Boston, Vermont takes on a lot of people with their more consistent snow and Sunday river draws the coastal people. It still gets busy sometimes but the slopes are surprisingly chill.

Edit-that quad does put alot of people on the hill. If they're filling it the upper trails do get quite busy. Afternoons are slow usually though as its really hard to lap that thing for 8 hours

Last edited:

cdskier

I wanted to spend at least a day or two at MRG since I am always at Sugarbush and its so close by. But dealing with the damn line for the single chair on a weekend is just not worth it. And there were not enough weekdays that happened to have good enough weather while I was up there. A shame since Mad River actually had some good snow this season!

I agree 100% with this. Every year I say I want to get there, but want to do it mid-week to fully enjoy it (and of course when the snow is good).

deadheadskier

Staff member
I think a big factor is that a lot of places in VT have expanded big time since the 80s. Sunday River too. So, a lot of Boston skiers have moved on from the valley. Most of the MWV ski areas a pretty small and are unchanged since then except for Bear at Attitash and Bretton Woods expansion.

It suits me just fine. Wildcat is plenty big enough that when it's 100% open, I don't get bored there. I'm like yeggous as well. I just can't deal with VT weekend crowds any more

Sent from my XT1565 using AlpineZone mobile app

Last edited:

dlague

Also missed several places in Colorado - Monarch, Crested Butte and Steamboat - last two we had comps. Waited for spring and then my son's lacrosse season started and threw a wrench into our plans.

Also wanted to ski Purgatory and Aspen Snowmass.

Having a dog makes thing difficult sometimes since we hate to kennel him. Lucky for us he can go for about 12-14 hours without having to go outside when we daytrip.

medfordmike

This year for the first time I can remember I didn't hit someplace new. After living in the Boston area for about 12 years now I am running out of easy to get to places in NH and VT that are "never beens". I still need to hit Black and Cranmore and thought I would do a Conway weekend but just never got around to it. I taught my spouse to ski this year and found the hard way consistency at a particular mountain or handful of mountains can make a big difference when it comes to confidence building. So maybe next season.

abc

MWV area is a big summer destination. The beds were for them.

Many of the smaller motels actually close for the winter.

Tow other places like that I know of: Jackson Hole & Lake Tahoe. So it's easy to score decent lodging deals in Tahoe, even Jackson.

yeggous

MWV area is a big summer destination. The beds were for them.

Many of the smaller motels actually close for the winter.

Tow other places like that I know of: Jackson Hole & Lake Tahoe. So it's easy to score decent lodging deals in Tahoe, even Jackson.

Winter is definitely quieter than summer. It is true that many motels and B&Bs close late October until Memorial Day.

And there are several ski areas in the MWV. Cranmore, Attitash, Wildcat, Black, King Pine, and Shawnee Peak are all within 30 minutes of North Conway. Bretton Woods is 45 minutes. And that's not counting the several nordic areas. And all the ice climbers which is a big draw.

The valley was dead last weekend and will stay that way until June.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app